PDA

View Full Version : anybody like Bob Dylan in here

ballistic
10-10-2005, 06:57 PM
i just got Highway 61 Revisited and watched a two-part PBS documentary on Dylan in the 60's...he's certainly one of the greatest songwriters of all time...i was wondering if anyone in here could suggest any albums of his in here, besides highway 61. thanks...

36chambers
10-10-2005, 06:58 PM
peace ballistic... wrong forum :p

Fr@z
10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Ive been planning on buying some of his material for a while now.

I love that track rolling stone

TeknicelStylez
10-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Maybe I'd like bob dylan if I was on a steady supply of heroine

ARCHRIVAL
10-10-2005, 07:01 PM
b. dylan is my shit yo...

crass
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
^^^archrival you got the boston "home" compilation? that Mr Lif track is banging, as is the edan track.

ballistic
10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
o...my fault about the section...

yeah bob dylan's imagery, symbolism, use of language, irony...its sublime.
"the geometry of flesh on the bone, causes Gallelio's math book to get thrown..."

tajeco
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
he's good, not the best singer, but that makes it cool, gives us all a chance in a way

STARKS_WALLABEES
10-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah Bob Dylan is imo one of the dopest songwriters of all time !! Since he's got soo many albums you might wanna get like a best of at first then go from there but one album I can definitely reccomend is Blonde on Blonde .
Peace for not being so narrow minded as some people on these boards ! I appreciate all great lyricists regardless of genre !

ballistic
10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Yeah Bob Dylan is imo one of the dopest songwriters of all time !! Since he's got soo many albums you might wanna get like a best of at first then go from there but one album I can definitely reccomend is Blonde on Blonde .
Peace for not being so narrow minded as some people on these boards ! I appreciate all great lyricists regardless of genre !

yeah no doubt...i think he was a great folk singer in his own right as well...a very distinctive voice. ok, blonde on blonde...i also want to get some of his early folk stuff before he went with the backup band and electric guitar...actually could you give me a top five besides highway 61? thanks...

ARCHRIVAL
10-10-2005, 09:58 PM
^^^archrival you got the boston "home" compilation? that Mr Lif track is banging, as is the edan track.
yyyeaaahhh i got that shit in newbury comics....love that cd

STARKS_WALLABEES
10-10-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't have all of his albums but I've got most of his "classic" albums . These albums are considered to be his best and since you can pick them up for dirt cheap now I though I would just give you a list of must haves .
In no particular order in terms of quality ...

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - 1963
Bringing It All Back Home - 1965
Blonde on Blonde - 1966
John Wesley Harding - 1968
Another Side Of Bob Dylan - 1964
Blood On The Tracks - 1975
The Basement Tapes - 1975 ( Recorded in the basement of a house in Woodstock in 1967 with a large cast of characters , all equally fucked on drugs to a mind screwing extent as is obvious on this album !! )

P.S If you haven't heard it allready you should try download "hurricane" from the album Desire , it's one of the dopest tracks ever . And if you wanna hear the folk Dylan then you might like his self titled debut "Bob Dylan" , he recorded it when he was just turned 20 and infact his first "rocky" kind of album was Bringing it all back home so if you get any of the albums pre 1965 they are all pretty folkish .
And Ballistic a funny bit of info about his transformation from folk to rock , at the legendary 1966 Royal Albert Hall concert he came out all drugged up with electric guitars and shit and was all like "play fucking loud" to his band cause he was sick of people giving him shit about his new direction , anyway halfway through the concert one of the people in the audience yelled out "Judas" so he replied "I don't believe you" , haha classic shit . Thats one of the best live albums ever man .

Peace.

Peace.

ballistic
10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
^lmao i saw that! it was on scorcese's two part documentary, they had that footage...that english crowd was just beside themselves, and yeah, dylan was like "you're lying!" lol!

ok, thanks for the input..i'll have to pick up those albums!

ballistic
10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
o yea, what album is mr. tamberine man on? i love that song...

STARKS_WALLABEES
10-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah Mr. Tambourine Man is on the album Bringing It All Back Home.

ballistic
10-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah Mr. Tambourine Man is on the album Bringing It All Back Home.

awesome..i think i'll pick up freewheelin' bob dylan to adhere to chronological order of his written albums...

Literate Type Asshole
10-11-2005, 10:35 AM
dylan's a god.

should get more appreciation on this board - if you dig ghostface's off-the-wall lyrics you'll dig mid-60s dylan

WolfMan
10-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Dylan kicks ass :)
IMO almost all of his songs are classic! But if you'd ask my dad, he'd recommend Desire, that's his favourite album from Dylan, with all the storytelling... Hurricane, Black Diamond Bay, Joey etc

ballistic
10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
dylan's a god.

should get more appreciation on this board - if you dig ghostface's off-the-wall lyrics you'll dig mid-60s dylan

wow i'm so glad that i wasnt the only one who noticed this...dylan's stream of consciousness style is very, very reminiscent of Ghostface Killah's style..that's one of the reasons why i love dylan's stuff so much. of course in most cases, there was some sort of cryptic meaning behind dylan's esoteric lyrics, but still...