PDA

View Full Version : 25. Greatest rappers of all time.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
08-22-2010, 12:07 AM
My top 25.
1. Rakim
2. Nas
3. Melle Mel
4. GZA
5. Kool G Rap
6. KRS-One
7. Big Daddy Kane
8. Notorious B.I.G.
9. 2Pac
10. Eminem
11. LL Cool J
12. Chuck D
13. Andre 3000
14. Ice Cube
15. AZ
16. Ghostface Killah
17. Scarface
18. Method Man
19. Guru
20. Inspectah Deck
21. Big L (would be higher if he was around longer)
22. Kool Keith
23. Prodigy
24. Black Thought
25. Ras Kass

Was VERY HARD, i keep on changing my lists change through out time.

ALCATRAZ
08-22-2010, 12:40 AM
lol @ anyone being above 2pac

Crackhead Bob
08-22-2010, 01:03 AM
^Tupac Stan, in case u hadn't figured it out yet. Good list

Mcthuggin99
08-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Cube and Ghost would be at least in the top 10 in my list. im not gonna try to make one right now though

TAURO
08-22-2010, 02:11 AM
No Pun?.. BLASPHEMY!

claaa7
08-22-2010, 05:23 AM
i think it was a good list actually, i think KRS-One definitely should be higher though but of course it's all opinions. my personal top 5 right now would be:

1. KRS-One
2. NaS
3. Ghostface Killah
4. Black Thought
5. Rakim

Crackhead Bob
08-22-2010, 01:23 PM
^^^You only think KRS is #1 because you been listening to Meta-Historical samples. Let's get real though. At no point in his career was he "better" or "more relevant" than anybody else on your list. He's an average emcee.

Paranoid
08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
He's an average emcee.

:{

MAYOR QUIMBY
08-22-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't understand why Rakim always get so much attention. The dude is average. He's not whack but he's also nowhere near a top list of anything. Better than J-Live?! NO. Better than Eminem?! No. Better than Nas or even Busta Rhymes?! Nope. So what gives??!!

claaa7
08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
^^^You only think KRS is #1 because you been listening to Meta-Historical samples. Let's get real though. At no point in his career was he "better" or "more relevant" than anybody else on your list. He's an average emcee.

lol yeah right, i haven't even listened to most of the "Meta Historical" snippets but from the 3 i've heard it's far from his greatest work. i got the BDP albums and most of his good solo work on retail albums so how did i just become a fan? he's got some of the illest diss tracks ever, true definition of ETHER, touches on alot of topics, ain't afraid to speak his mind, never waste his bars on bullshit, been dropping music for 25 years and is still relevant, over 20 albums and he still spits as dope as we just heard on "Knowledge Reigns Supreme". get a grip.

Crackhead Bob
08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
He's a bona-fife hype man that started the temple of hip hop. He hasn't been relevant since WOOP WOOP. No need to get upset about it. It's just opinions dun.

drippie k
08-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why Rakim always get so much attention. The dude is average. He's not whack but he's also nowhere near a top list of anything. Better than J-Live?! NO. Better than Eminem?! No. Better than Nas or even Busta Rhymes?! Nope. So what gives??!!
rakim dick riders bug me too...he ain't done or said anything big since like mid-90's

TAURO
08-22-2010, 07:03 PM
rakim dick riders bug me too...he ain't done or said anything big since like mid-90's

but it's the impact he left from the mid ninties, thats why he is still fondly remembered by hip hop heads.
He helped set the bar for that new era of lyricism that people like Nas would follow from.

MaskedAvenger
08-22-2010, 07:49 PM
ahahah holy shit, just about every post gets worse

staliondan23
08-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Dude, Rakim at number 1? Seriously? He is without a doubt one of the most influential rappers of all time...but have you heard 7th Seal...it took him ten years to release that album...and it was sooo mediocre its not even funny. I don't know why anyone in there right mind would put Rakim at number one these days....face it...he's been surpassed..

Paranoid
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't understand why Rakim always get so much attention. The dude is average.

smh

Bizzaro55
08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
lol @ anyone being above 2pac

lol @ anyone that listens to blink 182

ALCATRAZ
08-22-2010, 10:28 PM
nigga i listen to blink 182 and i still got hella more rap knowledge under ma belt than you nigga go sit down somewhere

KLAP
08-22-2010, 11:57 PM
I can't leave BIG PUN or CanIbus outta my top rappers of all time...

Inspektah Meth-Tical
08-23-2010, 01:25 AM
I can't leave BIG PUN or CanIbus outta my top rappers of all time...

HAHAHAHAHA, not Big Pun but Canibus. Cats be calling Rakim 'averge', look at Canibus. He fakes his vocabluary, his producers have said he uses a Thesaurus. He got one voice, one voice on all of his songs, one flow. No context in his lyrics, he just raps about space, science and uses big words to make people believe that he's smart. Sure he has had some good smart lyrics, but no where is he one of the greatest. AZ has a better flow, topic and better lyrics than Canibus.

As to Rakim. The dude had mad skills, his best album if 'Follow the Leader' as it had some of his best rhymes. Paid in Full changed the landscape of hip hop forever. Nas would not be here if its not for Rakim, infact most niggaz won't be here if it wasn't for Rakim. It's his skill and influence that changed the rap game which makes him the greatest rapper of all time. He came in and left the door open for the cats that came after him.

KRS-One, in my opinion was never a really good lyricist. Sure, he has great lyrics. But if we're talking about rhyming skills, KRS-One wud not be that high. The reason KRS is so high is he helped shape the hip hop culture, he's lyrics had really good context and he had a good range of topics he could talk about.

KLAP
08-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Ive heard enough from Canibus to know he is one of the greatest to me and many others. I don't know one producer that said Bis uses a Thesaurus. Ive heard alot more than one flow/context from Canibus. Canibus also raps about alot more than space and science. Canibus is cemented in the top for alot of people. It's a shame the powers that be have people under there mind control to belive great mc's are garbage.

Sunz of Man
08-23-2010, 02:36 AM
Pretty good list. I'd definitely have Pun in there. I'd also probably put R.A. The Rugged Man, Jeru the Damaja, & Black Thought in my top 25 but that's just my personal opinion.

BlackSmith
08-23-2010, 05:50 AM
look at Canibus. He fakes his vocabluary, his producers have said he uses a Thesaurus. He got one voice, one voice on all of his songs, one flow. No context in his lyrics, he just raps about space, science and uses big words to make people believe that he's smart. Sure he has had some good smart lyrics, but no where is he one of the greatest.

That's funny because he doesn't fake his vocab nor has any producer ever said he used a thesaurus. Besides that it's funny Bis and partner Webb (T.H.E.M.) destroyed much of the Wu line up in a battle back in day until Priest stepped up, and Priest even said after the battle "if Canibus would have responded, i would have lost" so again it's funny that a Wu fan talking shit on an MC not only holding his ground but blazing the Wu crew except Priest, could talk. And the fact that Nas was scared to drop a verse on Desparados because Bis blazed AZ and others would say AZ better than Bis, but i agree AZ is very dope and too under rated. AZ verse on "Lifes a Bitch" is more memorable than Nas', not bad considering Nas' Illmatic a classic. Besides Bis still blazing dope songs, and it's funny his producers giving Ghost and other artists like A.O.T.P. the same beats they gave to Bis for his albums FIRST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq86umv6eC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrOvC1bx-JA

-

Battle info

http://slumz.boxden.com/f87/canibus-battle-against-wu-tang-info-586481/

"T.H.E.M also encountered a well-known and continuously-documented battle with none other than the Wu-Tang Clan and a highly-skilled Wu-Family member by the name of Killah Priest outside a popular nightclub in Atlanta.

Webb and Canibus first battled RZA and Raekwon, it's never been revealed who actually won the battle, but an impressed RZA called for U-God and Sunz of Man to challenge the young duo. T.H.E.M were holding it down until Killah Priest was brought in. KP kicked an obviously massive six-minute freestyle to end the battle. Respect was won by both crews in the end, and the crowd of around 100 people were certainly well-entertained."

-

Nas scared

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=31979

"He also outshined The Firm on ďDesperados.Ē I donít think itís a coincidence that Nas didnít get on that record. He knew Bis would do a number on him."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB-hFkBZI54

Inspektah Meth-Tical
08-23-2010, 06:04 AM
That's funny because he doesn't fake his vocab nor has any producer ever said he used a thesaurus. Besides that it's funny Bis and partner Webb (T.H.E.M.) destroyed much of the Wu line up in a battle back in day until Priest stepped up, and Priest even said after the battle "if Canibus would have responded, i would have lost" so again it's funny that a Wu fan talking shit on an MC not only holding his ground but blazing the Wu crew except Priest, could talk. And the fact that Nas was scared to drop a verse on Desparados because Bis blazed AZ and others would say AZ better than Bis, but i agree AZ is very dope and too under rated. AZ verse on "Lifes a Bitch" is more memorable than Nas', not bad considering Nas' Illmatic a classic. Besides Bis still blazing dope songs, and it's funny his producers giving Ghost and other artists like A.O.T.P. the same beats they gave to Bis for his albums FIRST.

-

Battle info

"T.H.E.M also encountered a well-known and continuously-documented battle with none other than the Wu-Tang Clan and a highly-skilled Wu-Family member by the name of Killah Priest outside a popular nightclub in Atlanta.

Webb and Canibus first battled RZA and Raekwon, it's never been revealed who actually won the battle, but an impressed RZA called for U-God and Sunz of Man to challenge the young duo. T.H.E.M were holding it down until Killah Priest was brought in. KP kicked an obviously massive six-minute freestyle to end the battle. Respect was won by both crews in the end, and the crowd of around 100 people were certainly well-entertained."

-

Nas scared

"He also outshined The Firm on ďDesperados.Ē I donít think itís a coincidence that Nas didnít get on that record. He knew Bis would do a number on him."

I personally thought that AZ had the better verse on Desparados.
Canibus:
At a thousand degree Celsius I make MC's melt
Fuck my record label I appear courtesy of myself
Let me explain how I maintain thresholds to pain
I walk across the Sun barefoot lookin for shade
I rearrange your rib cage like a twelve gauge at close range
and change the position of your brain
My hard raps penetrate through your hardhats and all that
nigga, get ya wig peeled back
I scalp you like the indians on horseback
Running Bull will hit you harder than runningback
Stunning man with brave and cunning rap
Swiftly running laps around 48 tracks
Like uncut crack you fiends keep coming back
Heads is flippin like acrobats on gym mats
From wax to analog tapes to digital DAT's
It's critical black, that Canibus is ill like that
In fact perhaps you should quit rap, instead of always
tryin to diss back, cause niggaz keep tellin you that your shit's wack
I rip raps, hardcore raps rushin you to the floor mat
Put you in the figure four, break your thorax
Jump off the top turnbuckle and land on your back
til I hear it snap or crackle, the ref says chill black
You get clapped bringin the wrong raps to combat
Like bringin a paint gun to a shoot out with real gats
Y'all niggaz is wack, rappin over microphone feedback
My intelligence begins where yours peaks at
From Fox Boogie in the see-through brasierre, to Nasty Nas here
My nigga Nature'll explain it further if it's not clear
[Nas and Foxy Brown]
Millionaire look at the sky make sure it's still there
Ice grill stares and my jewelry is in every year
Pierre Cardan back in a Dapper Dan time
Now flex, angle wrecks, Foxy rock Van Klein
[Nas Escobar]
Initiated to the Firm shit, real thugs learn quick
Sit back and feel the ultimate hit
Initiated to the Firm shit, real thugs learn quick
Sit back and feel the ultimate hit

AZ:
Yo lock in, do the knowledge, follow the doctrine
We clockin, on your airwaves, keepin it rockin
Blaze up, make fire, light your Purple Haze up
Betcha tired, bitch ass niggaz need to be caged up
So raise up fuck the playin, I'm sick of layin
I can picture sprayin off an SK, shells ricochetin
Snatched up, in Supreme Court, eyes half shut
Co-defendant caught a life sentence, seem him crack up
React what, who will, bail two mill'
Nigga cool still bet I'll be home before the news will
Blast fuse and leave purple Frank Matthews
Perhaps you confuse the concept black, cash rules
Incog-ged, another had more deez involved
Known freeze condo seize seven keys dissolved
Daily routine, speakin up for niggaz who sling
Hand to hand on them street corners claimin you king
It's time to lock this, join with us, let your glock spit
Guzzle the toxic, only fake niggaz drop snitch
Get your guns out, it don't take much for me to dumb out
Play one route, lay ya shit down and run South

theDZA
08-23-2010, 06:19 AM

-

Battle info

-

Nas scared

better battle rapper/freestyle rapper doesn't mean a better rapper overall

issues
08-23-2010, 07:29 AM
look at Canibus. He fakes his vocabluary, his producers have said he uses a Thesaurus.

whats the problem with that?
you're not born with a vocabulary.. you have to learn words you know..

claaa7
08-23-2010, 08:29 AM
KRS-One, in my opinion was never a really good lyricist. Sure, he has great lyrics. But if we're talking about rhyming skills, KRS-One wud not be that high. The reason KRS is so high is he helped shape the hip hop culture, he's lyrics had really good context and he had a good range of topics he could talk about.

but there's so much more to a great MC than technical ability and spitting insane multies, i've heard rappers that have incredible lyrics and great flow but are more boring to listen to than watching paint dry. to me that's a wack rapper... shouldn't ability to rock a live crowd and quality of discography be as important as lyrics when judging the best MC's?

Ginnsey
08-23-2010, 08:31 AM
lol yeah right, i haven't even listened to most of the "Meta Historical" snippets but from the 3 i've heard it's far from his greatest work. i got the BDP albums and most of his good solo work on retail albums so how did i just become a fan? he's got some of the illest diss tracks ever, true definition of ETHER, touches on alot of topics, ain't afraid to speak his mind, never waste his bars on bullshit, been dropping music for 25 years and is still relevant, over 20 albums and he still spits as dope as we just heard on "Knowledge Reigns Supreme". get a grip.

I Agree with everything you said there! And in terms of Stage Performance and Presense hes defo one of the best, he just really knows how to get the crowd moving!

AND hes one of the only MCs to Diss that fuckin prick Tim Westwood live on his own radio show!!! He also did a freestyle at show more recently again dissing him! There should be more people like that speaking thier minds

Tracks
08-23-2010, 09:24 AM

Obviously your on crack or some shit. You def have NEVER actually listened to the god! Rakim made it ok to spit intelligent rhymes!!!!!!

Yo the saga begins my eyes is the photography lens
Properly push pens and show quality gems
The horrors be grim but yo maybe tomorrow we win
If we follow the trends and keep count of the dollars we spend
I want a mahogany Benz I want lottery ends
I want property, friends, plus my hobby is skins
If I decide we in sin, then my prophesy ends
But the God'll begin, watchin my odyssey spin
in the place where war be, based on a true story
Territory was made for me to pursue glory
Blast alone masses in zones have to be sewn
Every capacity blown, I'm internationally known, yo

IMO when we make lists about hte best RAPPERS ever we have to consider one thing and one thing only, the RAPPING part.

Saying that, Canibus definitely deserves a slot in the top 20.

Robert
08-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I am starting to doubt whether Nas deserves to be on such a list given that the vast majority of his albums, and particularly his recent releases, are trash. The fact he said that he had been dumbing down his content since Illmatic is a testament to this.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
08-23-2010, 05:08 PM
I am starting to doubt whether Nas deserves to be on such a list given that the vast majority of his albums, and particularly his recent releases, are trash. The fact he said that he had been dumbing down his content since Illmatic is a testament to this.

Where did he say that? Can you give me a link?

misawa98
08-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Canibus is easily top 25.

ALCATRAZ
08-23-2010, 10:52 PM
yea where did nas say he dumbs down his lyrics...where he say dat... if he did the nigga was probably just high and making excuses for releasing garbage albums LOL

but foreal, nas = shakespeare of rap, pac = lord of rap

BlackSmith
08-24-2010, 01:35 AM
better battle rapper/freestyle rapper doesn't mean a better rapper overall

Did i ever say that ? Nope. Agreed. Just listen to Bis catalog from 1998 until 2010 (Melatonin Magik) and let me know how he is not one of the illest. Canibus Rip the Jacker cd and Killah Priest Heavy Mental cd are 2 of the most lyrical albums ever plus the production dope on them to. Being they respect each other so much they are in the HRSMN who are dropping new cd soon, id say Bis is not just a battle rapper, he hasnt really been for almost a decade anyway so those kind of comments are played out about Bis. Listen to this and tell me how he not one of illest lyricists, this is 3 years old btw :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxyA2MCeV8&p=F8D98FC6E1479BB4&playnext=1&index=12

MaskedAvenger
08-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Not in any order... and not 25, just guys who deserve to be in there

Rakim, KRS One, Kool G Rap, Slick Rick, Chuck D, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, Biggie, Guru, Ice Cube, etc etc.... I dont know where the fuck some of your came up with your lists.

spiggity_ace
08-24-2010, 02:12 AM
respect the list, i havent done a top 20 list in so long so lets give this a shot, let me know what u think.

Kool G Rap
Gza
2pac
Ghostface Killah
Nas
Immortal Technique
Killah Priest
Rza
Scarface
Raekwon
Inspectah Deck
MJG
Spice 1
Canibus
Ras Kass
Brotha Lynch Hung
Necro
Chino XL
B Real
Too Poetic
Rakim
Prodigy
MC Eiht
Sticky Fingaz
Pharoahe Monche
Big Pun

yea im pretty good with that list, other than the top 5 i couldnt really put the rest in order, guys like WC, cormega, cube early paz, jus allah i had to cut at the end, I have all the respect in the world for rakim but i just dont find myhself listenin to him as much as the rest

Robert
08-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Where did he say that? Can you give me a link?

It was an interview before "Hip Hop is Dead" dropped. It's probably still in this section of the site somewhere.

spiggity_ace
08-24-2010, 03:21 AM
accidnet

Inspektah Meth-Tical
08-24-2010, 03:22 AM
What section would it be in?

claaa7
08-24-2010, 06:50 AM
"Hip-Hop is Dead" is such an underrated album it ain't even funny. i remember being in a place where i had no connection to the outer world like internet or anything that could affect my judgement and hearing that album and it blew my mind - really feeling like 'Nas is BACK, big time'.

suprisingly when i got out alot of people dislikes that album but to me it might very well be better or at least on par with "Stillmatic". "Money Over Bullshit", "Carry On Tradition", "Where Are They Now?", the title track, "BLACK REPUBLICANS", "Still Dreaming", "Blunt Ashes", "Let There Be Light", "Can't Forget About You", "Hustlers" and "Hope" (especially the original non-acapella version) are all incredible tracks.

"Untitled/Nigger" was also a strong album, my first reaction was that it was weak but pretty soon it grew on me. Lyrically that album is pure greatness, how many MC's can fuck with the lyrical content and delivery of "QUEENS GET THE MONEY"? seriously... compare GZA's diss to 50 Cent with that track and instantly you'll see who's the better lyricist (not to take anything away from The Genius).

Inspektah Meth-Tical
08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I got a question. Overall, who's the better MC?

LL COOL J or Canibus?

Frank Sobotka
08-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Bis no contest

MaskedAvenger
08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Canibus might be more lyrical than LL but you can't even compare the two careers or their influence in hip hop. LL Cool J would always have to be ranked way above him.

Tommy
08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
There's some pitiful posts in this thread.

oFrWjHcmBRU

^Possibly the greatest hip hop song of all time.

DOaHLsNPM88

^Again, possibly the greatest song ever heard in hip hop.

Rakim and KRS irrelevant? Stop listening to hip hop immediately.

MaskedAvenger
08-24-2010, 09:55 AM
There's some pitiful posts in this thread.

Rakim and KRS irrelevant? Stop listening to hip hop immediately.

word.

food for thought
08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
ahahah holy shit, just about every post gets worse

ahahhaha thats exactly what i was thinking

OPTIMUS
08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
not that anyone cares but mine would go liek this.. in no order
KRSONE
Rakim
Chuck D
Kool G Rap
Biggie
RZA
Inspectah Deck
GhostFace
GZA
Killah Priest
Pharoah Monch
OC
Lord Finesse
Canibus
Ras Kass
Guru
Nas
Big L
Cormega
Buckshot
2pac
Black Thought
Talib Kweli
Kool Keith
Del

Robert
08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
What section would it be in?

It's in the Hip Hop Shop somewhere.

KLAP
08-24-2010, 10:55 PM
not that anyone cares but mine would go liek this.. in no order
KRSONE
Rakim
Chuck D
Kool G Rap
Biggie
RZA
Inspectah Deck
GhostFace
GZA
Killah Priest
Pharoah Monch
OC
Lord Finesse
Canibus
Ras Kass
Guru
Nas
Big L
Cormega
Buckshot
2pac
Black Thought
Talib Kweli
Kool Keith
Del

I like this list cause you included Killah Priest and Canibus. I whould have to put Big Pun in there also.

KLAP
08-24-2010, 11:08 PM
A Top 15 List
Nas, Kool G.Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Chuck D, Canibus, Black Thought, Big Pun, 2pac, DMX, Biggie, KRS-One, Rakim, Jay-Z, Killah Priest, Ras Kass