PDA

View Full Version : Guru's best Jazzmataz?

oldie
08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
I own vol 1 & bought vol 2 the other day?
Which is your fav volume?

Taskmaster2112
08-25-2010, 05:20 PM

serioussam
08-25-2010, 05:52 PM
vol 1

iLLscan
08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
There was progressively less "jazz" in the Jazzmataz series.

claaa7
08-25-2010, 09:10 PM
they all good but i gotta admit that Vol. 2 is my favorite. production from Guru, DJ Premier, Mike Rone, DJ Scratch, True Master, Branford Marsalis and a bunch of others. Guru drops jewels all over the place, check out "Lifesaver" for further example, especiallty the DJ Premier remix. plus apperances from True Masrer, F.A.B.I.D., mike rone, etc. great album.

Vol #3 had some real fly joints too, definitely worth pidking up good albums like this from the true legends.

Prolifical ENG
08-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I liked vol 3 the best. I know there is less "jazz" in it than the previous ones.

I got all of them but 4...IDK why...even got The Best of Jazzmatazz...dont know where I got that from...probably when my boy worked for EMI records.

claaa7
08-26-2010, 05:39 AM
I liked vol 3 the best. I know there is less "jazz" in it than the previous ones.

word, volume 3 is a very, very underrated album. i seen so many peeps say "Moment Of Truth" was Gang Starr's best album and that Guru was at his peak then but on "Vol... 3: Street Soul" he's pretty much in the same era and there's alot of heart put in some of those songs.

it got a few jazz elements in there but "Vol 3...Streetsoul" displayed another side of the versatile King Of Monotone. it was hip-hop music with a large element of soul and R&B music thrown in the mix and i like how he invited a relevant and good singer on more or less every song without it ever sounding forced. Of course it sounds best when Guru hooks up with DJ Premier: "Hustlin' Daze" (w. Donell Jones) and "Where's My Ladies" (w. Big Shug) could've easily passed for Gang Starr joints but there's plenty of other memorable moments on the LP. The DJ Scratch produced single "Keep Your Worries" is a beautiful opener, the incredible neo-soul hook-up that comes from Bilal and Jay Dee on "Certified" is another standout moment. whoever put together Erykah Badu and The Roots/Black Thought w. Guru should have a fucking medal lol.

there's a few dull moments scattered throughout where the production nor guests can save the track but towards the end there's a gang of really, really memorable gems where Guru finds himself right in his element, taking a stand on social commentary. "Night Vision", "Mashin' Up Da World" (which features Prodigal Sunn & Junior Reid) and the dope closer "Timeless"; a collaboration with legend Herbie Hancock leaves the listener fiending for more.

I got all of them but 4...IDK why...even got The Best of Jazzmatazz...dont know where I got that from...probably when my boy worked for EMI records.

same here, i got all the Gang Starr albums (incl. "Full Clip" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy") and the three first Guru Jazzmattazz's albums. the only one i still wanna pick up is "Balheadslick & Click" cuz i ain't trying to put NO money in that bitch Solar's pocket, fuck him BIG TIME. i gotta admit that i haven't even heard most of the work he did with Solar, hand on the heart - how does it sound?

Tommy
08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
1IWshcYjgew

whitey
08-26-2010, 10:18 AM

MaskedAvenger
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Hmm difficult choice because I like them all but if i had to choose it would be between 1 or 2, I guess 2 is a little better however I bump Vol.1 the most.

sickdog
08-26-2010, 03:14 PM
vol 2 no doubt.