PDA

View Full Version : Somebody put me on to The Roots

Frank Sobotka
08-28-2010, 05:59 AM
I've been listening to How I Got Over allot and it's great.
What are their best albums?

djskillz
08-28-2010, 06:03 AM
go thru their whole discography from beginning to end. most would say they peaked around illadelph halflife and things fall apart. all of their stuff's good imo though.

OPTIMUS
08-28-2010, 06:09 AM
as above listen to illadelph halflife and things fall apart by far their best 2 albums in my opinion

Undiluted Karma
08-28-2010, 06:09 AM
I've only listened to things fall apart which is a fucking banger. It's really refreshing pure hip hop no bullshit. Live instrumentation is a beautiful thing and they really are talented musicians. This shit is needed more in hip hop, like on Chamber Music the beats had a really warm, authentic feel with excellent drums. The same applies for The Roots.

Both songs I posted are 2 bangers out of a whole album full of bangers off Things Fall Apart

/v/tjIcga4Afrg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjIcga4Afrg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

/v/MJCHeEQV454?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJCHeEQV454?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

djskillz
08-28-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm also a big fan of their recent material. Everything since The Tipping Point has been 4.5-5 stars for me. Even Phrenology was dope. More experimental than their 90s work but good music none the less.

Undiluted Karma
08-28-2010, 06:19 AM
^I'm looking forward to Black Thought on Shaolin vs Wu Tang, Rae seemed really excited about the song with him.

I'd also love to hear Black Thought over more menacing beats like this, he has the versatility to do it more.

v/rD5DGfYYTfo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rD5DGfYYTfo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

djskillz
08-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Black Thought sounds good over anything. Although I always get excited when he works with producers outside The Roots cause he always shines. Like on the Big Pun album.

UncontrolledSubstans
08-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Everything they've done is absolutely fire. Not a album under 8/10. Would get their albums in this order:

1996: Illadelph Halflife
1999: Things Fall Apart
2010: How I Got Over
2004: The Tipping Point
2008: Rising Down
1995: Do You Want More?!!!??!
2006: Game Theory
2002: Phrenology
1993: Organix!

Best track with them, all time:

3oijYK86OU8

p-rok73
08-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Illadelph-Halflife is my favorite Roots album. Their live album is dope too. If you like Jay-Z then check out his Unplugged album which has the Roots on the instruments.

When people mention MC's lyrical ability they should always include Black Thought. I know Nas, Biggie, Rakim, etc. deserve their spot but BT is deserving also. Some of his freestyle raps are up their with anyone who has ever rapped on a mike. I'm glad you're listening to them & you will not be disappointed.

cap
08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
ive tried time fter time to get in to them and i cant do it!! everybody has an artist/group like tha. shits frustrating lol!

p-rok73
08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
^^It happens...the last Roots album I bought was Phrenology and didn't listen to it again after a couple tries. Sort of like 8 Diagrams. I'm like this with newer cats like Drake, Wale, etc. I just can't get into them.

Undiluted Karma
08-28-2010, 02:04 PM
ive tried time fter time to get in to them and i cant do it!! everybody has an artist/group like tha. shits frustrating lol!

just doesnt happen for some artists for all people, you never know you might just change your opinion after a while, peoples tastes always change.

when i first started listening to wu 1.5 years ago i hated ghost for quite a while because of his whiny voice then just randomly started loving his rhymes

Mr. R&B
08-28-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm the same way with Little Brother.

I Love 9th Wonder's production, so the stuff they did when he was in the group was cool.

But as far as Phonte & Rapper Big Pooh as MCs, I can't get in to 'em.

I like when Phonte does hooks on other artists songs though, he can sing but his rapping bores me.

cap
08-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm the same way with Little Brother.

I Love 9th Wonder's production, so the stuff they did when he was in the group was cool.

But as far as Phonte & Big Rapper Pooh as MCs, I can't get in to 'em.

I like when Phonte does hooks on other artists songs though, he can sing but his rapping bores me.

really? see i love little brother. everybody has artists like this.

theDZA
08-28-2010, 02:35 PM
illadelph halflife and game theory imo

Tommy
08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Their live album is dope too. If you like Jay-Z then check out his Unplugged album which has the Roots on the instruments.

Damn right. The Roots really took Jay-Z to another level on that album. Live hip hop at its upmost finest.

Damn, really, cap? What puts you off them?

cap
08-28-2010, 03:04 PM
this is gonna sound weird, but im not a fan of live instruments in hip hop. other than that none of their songs really stick with me.

THE MASON
08-28-2010, 03:42 PM
The Roots are one of the illest crews in hip hop

?uestlove is one of the most underated producers and Black Thought can and will outshine your favourite emcee on any track, one of the most versatile and creative emcees. that what i like about The Roots, is that each album is something different. Do You Want More? is more jazz sounds and Phernology is crazy experimental vibes.

I say check out all there albums and speaking on live albums The Roots have a real dope live album out

Tommy
08-28-2010, 03:45 PM
The next time they perform in England I'm gonna try my upmost best to see that. I remember at a Mos Def gig I was speaking to some kid and he was saying that The Roots are regarded as one of the best live acts of all time. In any genre. And this isn't just from hip hop heads, even people who couldn't give a fuck about hip hop call The Roots one of the best live acts out there. So that's saying something.

Anybody seen them on here? If so, what was it like?

djskillz
08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
they were in town at the end of june but i missed it :( definitely gonna make it next time if they come back.

oldie
08-29-2010, 03:01 PM
buy Game Theory & Rising Down - their best albums IMO!!!!!!!!

Frank Sobotka
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM
buy Game Theory & Rising Down - their best albums IMO!!!!!!!!Buy?
Slow down bro.

oldie
08-29-2010, 03:09 PM
yeah, buy lol

i got How I Got Over on order, not heard it yet so I cant really say if you like that album then get those two but those two are my fav

djskillz
08-29-2010, 03:15 PM
It all depends on what style you prefer. Game Theory and Rising Down were alot darker than most of their material while Do You Want More is more jazz influenced. Illadelph Halflife is straight up hip hop and Things Fall Apart is more neo-soul/hip hop influenced. Phrenology and The Tipping Point are their most experimental.

Undiluted Karma
08-29-2010, 04:07 PM
It all depends on what style you prefer. Game Theory and Rising Down were alot darker than most of their material while Do You Want More is more jazz influenced. Illadelph Halflife is straight up hip hop and Things Fall Apart is more neo-soul/hip hop influenced. Phrenology and The Tipping Point are their most experimental.

Nice one for that breakdown, skillz, def need to check out Game Theory and Rising Down for that dark stuff

peace

theDZA
08-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Buy?
Slow down bro.

lol

djskillz
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice one for that breakdown, skillz, def need to check out Game Theory and Rising Down for that dark stuff

peace

thanks. i'd definitely recommend rising down and game theory. the only albums i actually own by the roots are those two and things fall apart. had plenty of opportunities to buy the rest but i always end up buyin something else lol.

p-rok73
08-29-2010, 04:35 PM
The next time they perform in England I'm gonna try my upmost best to see that. I remember at a Mos Def gig I was speaking to some kid and he was saying that The Roots are regarded as one of the best live acts of all time. In any genre. And this isn't just from hip hop heads, even people who couldn't give a fuck about hip hop call The Roots one of the best live acts out there. So that's saying something.

Anybody seen them on here? If so, what was it like?

I have a couple times...it seemed like they would come to Chi 2 times a year in the late 9o's early 2K. They put on a great show. They sometimes cover songs from other groups including Wu, with lyrics. Black Thought sometimes freestyles and includes making rhymes with people that are in the audience. An amazing MC. The show might last 2 hours but not many in the music industry can give more bang for your dollar/pound/euro. Just don't stand by the speakers because you won't hear for hours after the show like I did once. I last saw them at House of Blues in Chi a few years ago, possibly the best show aside from the first Wu show that I saw live. Check out The Roots Come Alive CD to give you an idea. Don't sleep if they go to your town/city, they won't pull a DOOM imposter BS either, lol.

Unltd
08-29-2010, 04:37 PM
http://frolab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/rootsdillaJAWNS.jpg

http://frolab.com/2010/04/02/download-the-roots-dilla-joints/

The Roots released a free J Dilla tribute mixtape a while back. It's all instrumental, so Black Thought aint spittin on any of the tracks, but its still worth the DL. It's really good.

Undiluted Karma
08-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Just listened to "Birthday Girl" Its a really nice light hearted crossover tune, really liked it.

peace

claaa7
08-29-2010, 05:17 PM
one of my favorite groups of all time, and they got one of the illest discographies out there. "Illadelph Halflife" and "Things Fall Apart" are the two best albums for me but they are all NICE, but i'll say start by checking out "Illadelph Halflife"... at least one of the top 20 best hip-hop albums ever created imo.

serioussam
08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
^I'm looking forward to Black Thought on Shaolin vs Wu Tang, Rae seemed really excited about the song with him.

I'd also love to hear Black Thought over more menacing beats like this, he has the versatility to do it more.

v/rD5DGfYYTfo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rD5DGfYYTfo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

this is so fuckin dope !!!!!!!!!!

buckshotstheone
08-29-2010, 06:06 PM
didn't read most the other posts....but

Illadelph Halflife is dope as hell. definitely representative of 96.

Things Fall Apart is like the breakthrough joint. very inviting and easy on the ears. got something for everyone, shit is fire. Beans makes his debut on that album

Game Theory is in the top 3 for me (with How I Got Over up there too now). Again it's a perfect representation of 2006, shit is dark as hell but Black Thought sounds hungry as all hell while also tired. Dilla had just passed, it's a deep record.

The Tipping Point - an incredibly underrated album. Solid from start to finish, perfect in every way, it's hip hop.

the rest are all good, Phrenology is like the biggest mainstream album they did, the rest are certainly enjoyable. But the above are what I think define the Roots as a group in the various stages of their career at their best.

fatboybrandon
08-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I agree with the thoughts everybody's made so far. It seems like most their albums marked a certain time of society well, to me each album has feelings and content that represent the time it came out.

Maybe it's just me, but I can remember different events of life easily with each album from some reason. Things Fall Apart makes me think of the neo-soul movement and J Dilla having a strong presence in Hip Hop. Illadelph Halflife reminds me of a time where MCs were more thoughtful with their lyrics and concepts, the mass materialism wasn't as bad.

The Tipping Point reminds me of an uneasy time for Hip Hop, with truly good artists like The Roots having to struggle because of the ice flashing, money, guns and fast food club songs that record companies gravitated toward. ?uestlove said that album was difficult and forced in an interview.

Durag
08-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Easily one of my favourite groups of all time with easily one of the best discographys of all time.

I think DJ Skillz broke it down best, no Roots album is like another. "Do You want More" is jazz inspired, "Illadelph Halflile" is straigh up hardcore hip-hop, "Things Fall Apart" is neo-soul/hip-hop, "Phrenology" is experimental, "Tripping Point" is somewhere in between, "Gamy Theory" and "Rising Down" are darker, rock/experimental albums and "How I Got Over" is 70's rock/indie inspired. Probably forgot some there, but theres something in every Roots album for everyone, thats what makes them so great.

"Things Fall Apart" is my personal favourite, but believe me when i say EVERY Roots album is dope, and "How I Got Over" is one of their best in years.

And i find it strange when people say they dont like the Roots coz they dont like live instrumentation in hip-hop, coz on albums like "Illadelph Halflife", the instrumentation sounds really like samples (which was the intention) and you wouldnt think you were listening to live instruments, although that has become more apparant on their later releases.

djskillz
08-29-2010, 08:28 PM
even if you don't like live instrumentation no one can deny that ?uestlove makes 75 bars 1000x better.

KLAP
08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
The Roots are one of the best groups in music history....Black Thought is one of the best mc's ever. And Malik B. is mad nice also. Every album from The Roots is great... My favorites are Illadelhalflife, Game Theory, Do you want more and Things fall apart. But all of The Roots albums are worth copin!

benzo
08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
seen em 4 or 5 times fantastic show every time

kingGirlfriend
08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
COME ALIVE and DO YOU WANT MORE are my favorites. Haven't been able to get into their more recent albums, but I can say that about alot of hip-hop cats. Favorite track with Black Thought, Zen Approach ....

Ol9oP08X-y8

Undiluted Karma
08-30-2010, 05:16 PM
^good to see Krush get props on here , I saw Black Thought on discogs and it appears his apperance on "Meiso" in 1995 prod by DJ Krush was his first

Tommy
08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Easily one of my favourite groups of all time with easily one of the best discographys of all time.

I think DJ Skillz broke it down best, no Roots album is like another. "Do You want More" is jazz inspired, "Illadelph Halflile" is straigh up hardcore hip-hop, "Things Fall Apart" is neo-soul/hip-hop, "Phrenology" is experimental, "Tripping Point" is somewhere in between, "Gamy Theory" and "Rising Down" are darker, rock/experimental albums and "How I Got Over" is 70's rock/indie inspired. Probably forgot some there, but theres something in every Roots album for everyone, thats what makes them so great.

"Things Fall Apart" is my personal favourite, but believe me when i say EVERY Roots album is dope, and "How I Got Over" is one of their best in years.

And i find it strange when people say they dont like the Roots coz they dont like live instrumentation in hip-hop, coz on albums like "Illadelph Halflife", the instrumentation sounds really like samples (which was the intention) and you wouldnt think you were listening to live instruments, although that has become more apparant on their later releases.

Good post. And funny you should say about ?uestlove's drum kicks sounding sample-based and electronic, because I was reading through the "Illadelph Halflife" liner notes today and there's a quote from ?uest saying he doesn't want his drumming to sound too electronic because nobody would know that he was part of the album. Haha. In my personal opinion, I always want to know if a hip hop track has live instruments involved because I'll appreciate it more. Not sure why I feel this way, but when I know that a track is built up part electronic and part instrumental, it gives it a "warmer" and "lush" feel.

I'm not sure which Roots album is my favourite, but Do You Want More has some classic cuts.

oldie
09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I've just Tipping Point and I can say it's a good album!! Especially 'Bang'
Short but solid. Get it

benzo
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
you mean "Boom"

djskillz
09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Lately I've been listening to "Duck Down!" alot.

benzo
09-07-2010, 10:05 AM
last track with Skillz and Chapelle is bangin

baritone
09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
if anything, black thoughts lyricism'll get you into the roots.

i really didnt listen to illadelph halflife when i first got it, but once i let it grow on me, i realized black thought and malk b are fuckin lyrical acrobats. they got some of the illest verses i ever heard in my life on that album (it just dont stop, concerto of the desperado)