PDA

View Full Version : Rappers with wealthy backgrounds.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
08-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, i know Talib Kweli had a really wealthy background. His dad was a scientist or something like that and his mother also had a very good job. Guru of Gangstarr also had a good non/gangsta background, his dad was a judge and his mom had something good too.
Anyone else?

E-Z
08-28-2010, 11:30 AM
i think drake & will smith had a wealthy background

Frank Sobotka
08-28-2010, 11:37 AM
From where is it considered wealthy?

netscape check two
08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think Will Smith did? lol Or do you mean when he moved to Bel Air?

Mr. R&B
08-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Esham's dad was a doctor, I believe he was cardiologist.

That's why he had a home studio at the age of 13.

Mcthuggin99
08-28-2010, 01:41 PM
i think drake & will smith had a wealthy background
yeah he had a rich uncle hahahaha

Ice Cube's sons Doughboy and OMG.

cap
08-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I don't think Will Smith did? lol Or do you mean when he moved to Bel Air?

lol!! will smith definitely wasnt rich! just cus he's a positive dude doesnt mean automatically that he was rich!

Undiluted Karma
08-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Asher Roth?
his mother, , is a yoga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga) instructor, and his father, , is the executive director of a design firm.[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asher_Roth#cite_note-timeout-3)

DUMBO
08-28-2010, 02:49 PM
asher roth is not a rapper.

E-Z
08-28-2010, 02:56 PM
i heard will smiths mother was a teacher and he grew up in a rich part of philly....of course i can be wrong with that, but thats what i heard

Rame
08-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Laz D (http://www.oregonlive.com/lake-oswego/index.ssf/2010/02/lake_oswegos_cameron_lasley_--_aka_laz_d_--_finds_his_niche_in_rap_music.html)

cap
08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
i heard rakim grew up in a nice neighbourhood. not wealthy maybe but nice. right or wrong?

Tommy
08-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Beastie Boys came from middle class backgrounds and I'm pretty sure Kanye had a pretty cushty childhood.

Also, but don't quote me on this, didn't Ice Cube have a pretty good upbringing?

djskillz
08-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Chuck D grew up in the burbs. Big difference between middle class and wealthy though. Just cause you didnt grow up in the projects doesnt mean you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

fatboybrandon
08-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Here's an audio interview Will Smith did where he explains his class of upbringing in Philly when the host Terry Gross asked about authenticity of rappers who come from an economically privileged upbringing.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=4828156&m=4828157

that show as a good interview with RZA up now and ones with other classic artists

http://www.hiphopsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Alchemist.jpg

Alchemist was brought up in Beverly Hills, he made a whole song about it called Different Worlds with Big Twin of Infamous Mobb who comes from the projects of Queensbridge. He grew up around Scott Caan, the son of James Caan from the Godfather.

It seems like the lines are getting blurred where I live in NY between social/economic class. More people from higher class neighborhoods are forcing their way in, yet the neighborhood still remains a ghetto for the most part. I wonder whether these new people now consider themselves privileged or neglected, but it's an example of wealth being an outlook on life depending on where your at and your previous living experiences.

In Hip Hop, the lines between wealth and ghetto are far apart, I hope it stays that way for the sake of keeping the street element around because that's where the culture is invented from. The corny shit about the mainstream is this new wave of MCs flashing money and catering to the direction of multi-billion dollar corporate execs who never been to the ghetto.

Undiluted Karma
08-28-2010, 04:37 PM
asher roth is not a rapper.

Just because you don't like his music,doesnt mean he isn't a rapper lol
peace

BIG D O
08-30-2010, 03:00 AM
"wealthy", prolly not many....well off, oh i'm sure plenty of them come from good backgrounds, i.e. having both parents around who earn a professional salary....

wealthy tho....not many, if any...wealth is the wrong term homie...when I think of wealth i think of the Rothschilds, not ppl who's parents worked hard, got degrees and provided priveledged lives for their kids...

food for thought
08-30-2010, 03:10 AM
"wealthy", prolly not many....well off, oh i'm sure plenty of them come from good backgrounds, i.e. having both parents around who earn a professional salary....

wealthy tho....not many, if any...wealth is the wrong term homie...when I think of wealth i think of the Rothschilds, not ppl who's parents worked hard, got degrees and provided priveledged lives for their kids...

cosigned. wealthy is def the wrong word.

-The A to the Z-
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
i heard rakim grew up in a nice neighbourhood. not wealthy maybe but nice. right or wrong?

Chuck D grew up in the burbs. Big difference between middle class and wealthy though.

Dudes like Rakim, Chuck D and EPMD grew up in primarily-Black suburbs that developed on the outer-side of New York, where it was better off than in the projects, but they still had similar problems; crack and all o' that.

fatboybrandon
08-30-2010, 04:43 PM
^ It's Long Island that they're from in NY. I've never lived out there but traveled to various spots, I go to a few malls there sometimes. Keith Murray is another one from there, also Prodigy.

It's definitely more suburbian than NYC, but within those parts there are pockets of ghettos. I remember getting off the LIRR once and driving through a ghetto to get to the mall, the part that the mall was in was more nice, like a suburb.