PDA

View Full Version : Tarantino´s only really good film is Jackie Brown

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-02-2010, 11:19 AM
and i rate Coen Brothers films higher than most his others. This guy hasnt made a good film in nearly 14 years, whats the fuss.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
^i half-agree with you; the 'kill bill' movies and 'basterds' were just homages or pastiches of diferent genres (and fuck 'death proof' although there were some beautiful girls in it lol)...

i find that his worst excesses in terms of dialogue and the staging of scenes have become more pronounced in since 'jackie brown', and alot of it comes off as really self-indulgent. he does have a great understanding of the cinematic artform, though.

i think his main flaw is that he is too in love with his dialogue, and some of the scenes which are staged suspensefully start to drag and the sense of anticipation fizzles out (at least for me).

and ya, coen brothers are definitely much better filmmakers...it's just that they operate in more of a vacuum, where tarantino is much more reliant on pop-culture references and playing with (skewing, deconstructing, and sometimes reversing) concepts and imagery that are already a part of the cinematic lexicon.

tarantino is almost like the 'family guy' of film.

Rame
09-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Tarantino is the GOAT.

whitey
09-02-2010, 01:53 PM
pulp fiction.

oDoUoSoKo
09-02-2010, 01:54 PM
i 1/4 agree with panda...he was my favorite director...but since then ive seen so many movies and gotten to kno tons of other directors..so hes sort of died out for me...i still enjoy all his films tho..just not as much as when i was younger.

main_man
09-02-2010, 02:38 PM
lol @ this thread.
QT filmography is 10 times better than the coen brothers letsmakeitoddforthesakeofoddbutitreallycomesoffasr eallyboringandmilktoast filmography.

say what you will, but tarantino knows how to entertain. i read and hear film snobs always trying to deconstruct this mans work and say hes a collage artist and whatnot. but the bottom line is there is never a wasted shot in a QT flick. hes a true master of the craft.
and QT dialog >>>> coen brothers dialog. sorry. QT is my nigga. lol

oDoUoSoKo
09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
ok now lets take it easy....dont get ahead of urself..eloels, the cohens are awesome.

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
fargo, big lebowski, o brother where art thou alone trash Quentan. I can watch those films., over and over. kind of get bored with pulp fagtion and reservior fags almost immedietly.

whenever big lebowskis on tv, im watching it. reservoir fags comes on again,. meh, keep scrolling

King Tron 1
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070525134440/muppet/images/0/02/Irmaphall.jpg

left my wallet in el segundo...

main_man
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
fargo, big lebowski, o brother where art thou alone trash Quentan. I can watch those films., over and over. kind of get bored with pulp fagtion and reservior fags almost immedietly.

whenever big lebowskis on tv, im watching it. reservoir fags comes on again,. meh, keep scrolling

lol.
big lebowskis good, but really really overrated in my book.
fargo yaaaaawwwwnnnn. crusty, boring white people shit. seen it once or twice. thats enough.
o brother where art thou.lol. over dogs or pulp fiction? whatever nigga. lol id rather see people bleeding out and getting shot the fuck up than a redneck version of the odyssey.

anyway.
the coens are good. in fact, many crusty whites rate them as the best. i personally think no country for old men is the only movie they made than contends with any of tarantinos work (and thats still not as good as most of his films). but like i said, i like blood & bullets in my movies. and while there are moments in tarantinos flicks that the dialogue is much, it pays off.
but its cool. show your snobbery with threads like this. i aint mad at cha.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
the coens are good. in fact, many crusty whites rate them as the best. i personally think no country for old men is the only movie they made than contends with any of tarantinos work (and thats still not as good as most of his films). but like i said, i like blood & bullets in my movies.

miller's crossing?
blood simple?
barton fink?

watch their 80s/early 90s stuff and you'll see some non 'crusty white people shit' lol

MAYOR QUIMBY
09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Q.T.'s only film that i would call GOOD is 'Inglorious Basterds,' and its fucking great. All his other ones are borrriingg mindless dribble. The dude's whack. Even 'Desperado' is fucking corny.

MAYOR QUIMBY
09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
The Ladykillers, Burn After Reading, Fargo, No Country For Old Men > Your mom.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-02-2010, 05:16 PM
^he didn't direct 'desperado' that was robert rodriguez

oDoUoSoKo
09-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Q.T.'s only film that i would call GOOD is 'Inglorious Basterds,' and its fucking great. All his other ones are borrriingg mindless dribble. The dude's whack. Even 'Desperado' is fucking corny.
desperado is Rob Rod dude..eloels

and as for the cohens...Raising Arizona? A Serious Man? cmon...dope.

djskillz
09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
can't say i agree. i'm definitely a bigger qt fan than i am of the coens.

MaskedAvenger
09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
lol FAIL thread

Nick Fury
09-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Tarantino is overrated

Mumm Ra
09-02-2010, 06:59 PM
i gotta watch more coen bros movies (they did burn after reading? i hate myself for sitting through the whole thing) but you're just frontin if you think tarantino isn't one of the gods
i know ive watched both kill bills, pulp fiction, jackie brown, and inglorious basterds at least 5 times each (i think reservoir dogs is pretty boring tho)

Crackhead Bob
09-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Pulp Fiction is generally regarded as one of the top ten films of all time. The Coens have several films in the top 250. They are both great

Mcthuggin99
09-02-2010, 07:59 PM
i watch films from the Coens and Tarantino but i think that tarantino is the better director Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown shit on any Coen Brothers film. tarantino's worst film is Death Proof

main_man
09-02-2010, 11:02 PM
ok, i forgot about millers crossing. that one is dope.
but i refuse to listen to anyones opinion other than ace wu corp movie reviewer charles jones.
once he chimes in it will be law.

Uncle Steezo
09-03-2010, 03:14 AM
only good movie the cohens have ever made was lebowski.
end of discussion, because my opinion is worth more than anyone elses and i refuse to hear anything anyone else has to say about the subject.

lol@threads telling other people that what their personal preference should be.

"the only really good topping on pizza is peperoni"

Dr Sleepwalker
09-03-2010, 04:23 AM
LOL @ listing Jackie Brown as Quentin Tarantino's best, AND only 'really' good movie. smh

your opinion of film is officially discredited.

PALEFORCE
09-03-2010, 04:24 AM
dusk till dawn was dope

george clooney would fuck your mother

Nick Fury
09-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Tarantino has made great movies , but overrated esp by Tarantino groupies that think hes the gawd director

like those faggots that think kevin smith is come sort of comedic genious

ALCATRAZ
09-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Tarantino is the GOAT.
jay z is his favorite rapper, tarantino is his favorite director... euro fag babies are dick riders its as plain as day

Art Vandelay
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM
tarantino's only bad film is death proof. big lewbowski is most overrated movie ever. barton fink is good shit though.

David Daniel Davis
09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
A lot of people criticize his references and his self indulgence of his foot fetish into his films.

oDoUoSoKo
09-03-2010, 09:18 PM
god i came in this thread to defend QT a bit..but now im just embarrassed to be a fan of his...eloels, u guys are idiots...especially those who THINK they get the cohen brothers

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
09-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Tarantino is the GOAT.

C'MON TARENTINO IS A BEAST WITH HIS SCRIPTS HE'S WHAT GEORGE LUCAS WANTS TO BE NOWADAYS LMAO

Pulp Fiction was pure genius

Kill Bill i agree it had homages in it like any good film maker does
but it was truly a unique film within it's self

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-03-2010, 09:31 PM
dusk till dawn was dope

george clooney would fuck your mother

he didn't direct that; robert rodriguez did lol

A lot of people criticize his references and his self indulgence of his foot fetish into his films.

hahahahaha
CfnVbYKKQ_Y
uma thurman's feet are disgusting lol

god i came in this thread to defend QT a bit..but now im just embarrassed to be a fan of his...eloels, u guys are idiots...especially those who THINK they get the cohen brothers

:cool:

Nick Fury
09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Jay Z wishes he was Goerge Lucas status

Rame
09-04-2010, 03:03 AM
jay z is his favorite rapper, tarantino is his favorite director... euro fag babies are dick riders its as plain as day

You have a rappers name as username, dickride 2Pac in every thread and you're calling me a dickrider? Sure...

Jeru
09-04-2010, 04:18 AM
I agree that Jackie Brown is his best film IMO...It's the only QT movie I can always watch...His others have almost no replay value IMO. Can't remember the last time I watched Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill or IB... His dialogue is always spot on (except in Deathproof where he somehow achieved in making his dialogue boring). The greatest director he ain't but he knows how to put stuff on the screen so he's good...not the greatest.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Well i certainly am more entertained when i'm watching a Tarantino film. Thats all that should matter.

Sky Blue Danny Kid
09-04-2010, 07:43 AM
I enjoy both directors' films and won't pick a favorite because they are so different.

LOL at the pretentiousness in here.

I only wanted to comment that I don't understand how people can think Jackie Brown one of Tarantino's best.

I feel as though people want to like the subject matter and tone, and ignore the fact that it is a very mediocre film. I do love the Delfonics though

djskillz
09-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I have to re-watch Jackie brown. Haven't seen it since I was small.

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/lebowski_bowl.gif

DirtMcgehrk
09-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Blood Simple by The Coen Bros. is one of the greatest films of all time IMO. They've kind of been hit or miss lately. Didn't like Burn After Reading or The Ladykillers or A Serious Man. Absolutely loved The Big Lebowski, Fargo, Barton Fink and No Country For Old Men.

As far as Tarantino goes, Kill Bill 1&2, Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs were all fantastic. There's no denying that they're all pretty much pop culture staples in the USA and elsewhere. I think it's a joke for movie scholars to pick apart a director that has never actually formally studied filmmaking. They can say what they want about his technique and style, but Tarantino doesn't have to give a fuck cause he can't really be held to any standard in the world of cinema. I do have to admit it's funny that so many of my textbooks for my film classes use scenes from a lot of his films for good examples of cinematography and storytelling techniques.

Also, The Coen brothers and Quentin Tarantino are very VERY different directors, and it's kind of weird to compare them.

And Tarantino's scene in Sin City was awesome too.

Nick Fury
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
baja faggot wrote a paragraph ^

DirtMcgehrk
09-08-2010, 04:55 PM
baja faggot wrote a paragraph ^

And your point is?

Longbongcilvaringz
09-16-2010, 11:23 AM
If Jackie Brown is the only Tarantino film you can dig, i feel bad for you son.

It's maybe my favourite of his films though.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Reading people's responses, i'll add, that Tarantino's films are just really enjoyable to watch.

People get caught up in talking about whether he is original or overrated or some shit, but that shit's irrelevant.

Yeah, if people sitting around talking isn't your idea of entertainment you'll probably be bored by a lot of the scenes in his films.

To me, every film he's made has been greatly entertaining, i can't say that about many directors. All my other favourite directors have made movies which i don't find interesting at all.

People expect some kind of intellectual depth from Tarantino for some reason, when all he's ever wanted to do is make entertaining films for an audience that isn't impressed by faggits talking about french cinema.

A lot of nerds dislike Tarantino because:

a) His movies are derivative

and

b) He's an arrogant nerd who does what he wants.

RALPH WIGGUM
09-16-2010, 12:35 PM
If Jackie Brown is the only Tarantino film you can dig, i feel bad for you son.

It's maybe my favourite of his films though.

co sign

food for thought
09-16-2010, 01:44 PM
LOL @ listing Jackie Brown as Quentin Tarantino's best, AND only 'really' good movie. smh

your opinion of film is officially discredited.

lol forreal though

Pulp Fiction is the GOAT.

PF + JAckie Brown + Resovoir Dogs + Inglorious Bastards = shitting on your favorite director.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-17-2010, 10:21 AM
^no.
my favorites: kubrick, scorsese, lynch, gilliam. tarantino isn't worthy.

whitey
09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
ceon bros in the discussion.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I saw A Serious Man last week, shit was hilarious. Coen Bros 1up´d again.

Inglorious Basterds though was sick too, especially that end scene in the cinema when the bitch comes up on screen surrounded by flames ahahaahahah classic ott

2_tg8fMcpTc

RADIOACTIVE MAN
10-17-2010, 04:13 PM
lol now you tripping man..tarantino got tons of classics

theheavens
10-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Tarantino is the best writer in cinema today. your fav directors couldn't write like him if they tried

Art Vandelay
10-18-2010, 09:01 AM
had tarantino been able to direct true romance, with his style, that would be up there with his other great movies.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-18-2010, 10:14 AM
True romance is overhyped by lames

Kill Bill was trash, complete garbage. Put everything else hes done in even more doubt. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, I mean what are they? Ive got no desire to watch these films more than once, and i dont know why i would reccomend them to anybody to watch. The people I meet who love these films are mostly chumps who dont know the first thing about films but like to think they have great film taste.

Im not saying Pulp was a bad film, id def give it a 7/10, but its nothing more, Tarantinos cult of personality drove that film to overhype city

Art Vandelay
10-18-2010, 10:47 AM

i disagree. i think his films are amazing. his personality makes me cringe.

Urban_Journalz
10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Not to take anything away from, "Jackie Brown", which is a fantastic movie, I have to say this, with nothing personal attached; you should watch his movies, all of them, again, sober and alone. Take your food with you so you don't miss anything. Unplug the housephones and turn off the cellie. Tell your girl to leave you alone for a few hrs. Call in sick to work if you have to son, but this is a major party-foul that has to be tended to.

Mumm Ra
10-18-2010, 07:11 PM
i think this thread just shows that lacey has a uniquely awful taste
kill bill complete garbage? pulp fiction worth watching once?
you dont like movies son

Crackhead Bob
10-18-2010, 07:20 PM
How can anyone say Kill Bill is complete garbage?

Fincher needs some credit too, Pandemic.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
^true, his films are really strong visually.

me and my girl rewatched pulp fiction a few week ago (because i voiced an opinion similar to ghostlaced and she said i was being a douchebag)...and 'dead nigger storage' aside, that shit is still classic; his shot composition, editing, and 'lensing' is really superb, aside from it having an awesome screenplay.

'serious man' was also excellent...really, this is a nonsensical comparison as they are completely different filmmaking styles. it's like saying prince is better than bob marley, and that his only good album was 'natty dread'.

the 'kill bill' movies can't be garbage...the script does get verbose and self-indulgent, especially in the second one, but it is really 'virtuoso filmmaking'...there are so many cinematic techniques and styles on display in those movies.

i agree with art, his personality is cringeworthy and he is an attention whore, and that made me underrate some of his stuff for the longest time...but he's got the goods. I think the coen brothers have a better filmography overall, though, but they have also been at it longer.

Olive Oil Goombah
10-18-2010, 07:54 PM
theyre both good.

Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest movies ever. Its one of those movies, if you see it on, you watch it no matter what part you come in at.

The Coens are good as well. Raising Arizona is one of my all time favorites.

Its preference.

Threadstarter prefers Jackie Brown to Pulp Fiction......

is that was this thread is about basically??

If you prefer Jackie Brown to Pulp Fiction than all the movie snobs of the world would shit on you because Pulp is the superior movie.

Crackhead Bob
10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Saw Inglourious Basterds, parts of it felt reused, and to be honest the whole thing felt a bit awkward. Many scenes were unnecessarily long which led to the bulky run time. I remember checking the time when Shoshanna has her second scene with the German who's chasing her thinking ten minutes had gone by and the counter was on 44. You sort of get lost in the endless dialog and the fact you are constantly forced to read the screen. The payoff was impressive though. Pitt's "Italian" accent is hilarious.

theheavens
10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
jNtHqvPbZ8Q

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
it's like saying prince is better than bob marley, .

He is.

oDoUoSoKo
10-19-2010, 09:04 PM
lmao ya wtf was that^

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
^it's a fucking apples and orange comparison...would you compare wu-tang to kraftwerk?
just forget it.

Crackhead Bob
10-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I compared Wu-Tang to the Beatles and people wanted to burn me in effigy. No more of that.

oDoUoSoKo
10-19-2010, 10:14 PM
^it's a fucking apples and orange comparison...would you compare wu-tang to kraftwerk?
just forget it.
i kno what u mean dude..eloels, just taken out of context idk, could be cazy

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-19-2010, 11:37 PM
^i just don't understand the point of things with different aesthetic sensibilities and ambitions, because there's no reasonable basis for comparison...the only times it's interesting to do that imo is finding weird links and similarities in seemingly dissimilar things, like that coen bros v. tarantino video.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
^i just don't understand the point of things with different aesthetic sensibilities and ambitions, because there's no reasonable basis for comparison...the only times it's interesting to do that imo is finding weird links and similarities in seemingly dissimilar things, like that coen bros v. tarantino video.

Dont think about it so much. Theyre the 2 most culturally significant directors of the generation. Im not comparing them, I'm saying Coen Bros are better. I like making a point of this because they clearly are better, have better films, are better directors, and write better scripts. And have more developed humor. Yet its Taranfuckingtino that gets the constant plaudits and dick lickers because he puts himself out there like that and his low brow movies appeal more easily to the wide spectrum of faggots.

Olive Oil Goombah
10-20-2010, 05:40 PM
If you think they are better, why do you care what others think are better.

I've seen critically acclaimed movies that I thought sucked and I have seen B-movies that I thought were awesome.

Mcthuggin99
10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Dont think about it so much. Theyre the 2 most culturally significant directors of the generation. Im not comparing them, I'm saying Coen Bros are better. I like making a point of this because they clearly are better, have better films, are better directors, and write better scripts. And have more developed humor. Yet its Taranfuckingtino that gets the constant plaudits and dick lickers because he puts himself out there like that and his low brow movies appeal more easily to the wide spectrum of faggots.
XVCtkzIXYzQ

Nick Fury
10-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I wuz trollin gyz

Nick Fury
10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Kill Bill 1 n 2 were great parodies imo

Olive Oil Goombah
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
now see, i didnt care for eithe kill bills....they bored me to fucking death

djskillz
10-20-2010, 08:45 PM
the first kill bill was ok. nothing special though. they're definitely my least favorite QT films. them and death proof.

Nick Fury
10-20-2010, 08:53 PM
jZOuVky-lPM&feature=related

nYgJEY3CNrk

theheavens
10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
best writer in cinema. that's all you need to know

Nick Fury
10-21-2010, 06:29 PM
no

theheavens
10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
it's a fact, not a statement

oDoUoSoKo
10-21-2010, 08:46 PM
lmao^^ CMON SON

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-21-2010, 08:53 PM
^lol

}:T

Nick Fury
10-21-2010, 09:04 PM
trolling aside , just no

theheavens
10-23-2010, 03:35 PM
who can put pen to paper better than Tarantino in film? Pulp Fiction became a blueprint on how to write dialogue. in film school, every instructor was sucking tarantino's dick on how great he was as a writer. nobody can touch him

Art Vandelay
01-04-2014, 11:29 PM
If you compare their last films Tarantino is much better. I saw Inside Llewyn Davis tonight. It blew.

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
01-09-2014, 11:04 AM
This is a troll thread. That fact you onlu consider JB is ridiculous.

Durag
01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Its not often i agree with TOASTFACED but in this instance i do.

I really enjoy Quenten Tarantino's movies but hes not tha god everyone makes him out to be. Inglorious Bastards was a fuckin excellent movie though that a lot of people forget, and i really enjoyed Djano (bar the big shooting scene - out of place), but what about the likes of Michael Heneke? Or Stanly Kubrick? And there are plenty more where does came from, Russian cinema has produced some outstanding movies like Solaris and Stalker.

World cinema is where its at, constantly pusing boundries. Anyone who just watches American movies is missing out on some of the greatest movies, yeah their in subtitles, get fuckin over it

ShaDynasty
01-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Tarantino makes better movies than everyone. Theres a few directors that are better at making 'films' eg thought provoking, dramatic, intellectual, moving films with serious topics, but as far as making pure pieces of entertainment Tarantino fucking owns.

Jackie Brown i think is the only picture of his that is closer to the 'film' category since it has more realistic dialogue, character development and has a little subtext around age and relationships. Which probably has something to do with it being his only movie based on a novel.

Paranoid
01-10-2014, 03:16 PM
raw deniro scene
EYyolVOqi90

i enjoyed jackie brown, pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, kill bill, inglorious bastards, django unchained

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
That movie amde me wanna bang Bridgette Fonda.

CharlesJones
01-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Bridget Fonda was hot in Jackie Brown. Jackie Brown and Django Unchained are the only movies of Quentin's i like. Didn't he direct Reservoir Dogs? I liked that if he did that.

Paranoid
01-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Didn't he direct Reservoir Dogs? I liked that if he did that.

yes

CharlesJones
01-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Jackie Brown was on cable several days ago and i watched a little bit of it. I like the scene when Chris Tucker and Samuel Jackson were talking while they were standing by Samuel's car and Samuel asked him to get in the trunk and pretend to scare some people who wanna buy some guns from him. Chris said i'm not getting in that dirty ass trunk hahahahahaha. Samuel kept trying to talk him into getting in the trunk and he mentioned he was gonna take him to Roscoe's chicken and waffles restaurant to get some food LOL. So Chris finally got in the trunk and Samuel slammed the trunk and Chris said hey watch slamming that damn trunk on my head hahahahahahahahahahaha. So Samuel drove for a little while and he got around the corner, stopped the car, opened the trunk and shot Chris a few times LOL.

Pam Grier looked good in this and i like the scene when Samuel went to her apartment to talk to her when she got outta jail and he turned the lights off a couple of times. It seemed like he was gonna kill her when he got close to her while he was talking and he said what is that. She had a gun pointed at him and she said you better turn the light on and back the fuck up before i shoot your ass hahahahahahahaha.