PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate for It Was Written? - Nas

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, i've seen a lot of people hate on this album. I really don't see why, its a 4.5 star classic album. 75% of the songs on the album was dope. Sure it had some shit songs like 'Black Girl Lost"and that Dre Produced song. But the album was really good, why does everyone hate on it? I mean NaS would not have stayed underground with the shit he was kicking and he hype he was getting.

djskillz
09-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I love that album. No hate here. Better than some of his other albums.

UncontrolledSubstans
09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Love the album and it have more replay value than Illmatic if you ask me.

The Message
I Gave You Power
Take It In Blood
Affirmative Action
The Set Up
Suspect
Live Nigga Rap
Silent Murder

Are all classic track at the same level as Illmatic.

hl (Lattisaw Tapes)
09-04-2010, 10:21 AM
It Was Written is better than Illmatic and almost as influencial. One of the best albums ever IMO. Also the Trackmasters gave Nas some great production. I never understood the hate for them either.

TAURO
09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp309/mlomo/not_this_shit_again.jpg

THE MASON
09-04-2010, 11:02 AM
^lol

ballistic
09-04-2010, 03:08 PM
yeah sometimes this has more replay value than illmatic, i can listen to this album the whole way through no problem...take it in blood is pretty next level

the silencer
09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp309/mlomo/not_this_shit_again.jpg
hahaha

i love this album....dono wtf you're talkin about

spiggity_ace
09-04-2010, 05:59 PM
his second best album, 3 of my top like 10 nas songs on ehre, take it in blod is my fav nas song alos

oDoUoSoKo
09-04-2010, 06:11 PM
who hates this album? eloels its my fav. Nas album.

Mr. R&B
09-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I haven't listened to it in over a decade.

I need to re-purchase it and see if it's grown on me.

hide1998
09-05-2010, 02:44 AM
It was dope since the first spin for me. Nas' 3rd best album in my opinion.

djskillz
09-05-2010, 05:32 AM
The Message is one of my all time favorite Nas songs.

claaa7
09-05-2010, 05:36 AM
nah this is definitely not that hated of an album. it was at first because it didn't sounded like "Illmatic" and he switched the producers and all that and aimed at the charts with "Street Dreams" and "If I Ruled The World". over the years people really started see how incredible that record is, lyricism is on another level from the rest of the game and i love those beats on there. Trackmasters are underrated.

drippie k
09-05-2010, 06:24 AM
i don't think anyone hates this album unless they don't like nas period

MaskedAvenger
09-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Let me just say as of today, I like this album, it has some of my fav Nas songs, but let me tell you, when this album came out it sucked balls. This album had a very commercial feel to it back then and was the complete opposite of what people wanted or expected. Thats why a lot of people who didnt really listen to hip hop back then have a hard time understanding why this album gets hated on.

OPTIMUS
09-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Let me just say as of today, I like this album, it has some of my fav Nas songs, but let me tell you, when this album came out it sucked balls. This album had a very commercial feel to it back then and was the complete opposite of what people wanted or expected. Thats why a lot of people who didnt really listen to hip hop back then have a hard time understanding why this album gets hated on.

yep yep very true had the same feeling when it first came out definately has grown on me but it was definately not the album i was expecting, all the firm BS was a let down too with no cormega...

Same feeling as when Forever came out i was expecting more of the same but it was definately a completely feel from all the previous records, much cleaner sound and not as sample driven but nevertheless dope.

Dominus Santorini
09-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I doubt there's very much hate for the album unless you're against the more mainstream feel of the album.

Boofy3
09-06-2010, 06:44 AM
after illamtic it was written is my fave nas cd. although i feel the two cant be compared due to them feeling like two different style albums. illmatic feels like an early 90s album interms of beats, and next level lyricysm for the time. and it was written feels like a 95' 96' mid 90s straight up raw vibe.

alot of people say after illmatic the lost tapes is their fave, but i much prefer it was written than the lost tapes.

i dont know about replay value, illmatic is one of them albums you can just vibe too, stick on repeat and listen to a few times over.

i tend to skip black girl lost, and also turn it off after if i ruled the world so i dont have to listen to silent murder.

but the album is trully a great album, i consider it a very valued cd in my collection.

the tracks really go nice together, complementing one an other like good albums should.

take it in blood is my fave

KLAP
09-06-2010, 10:42 PM
It was writtin is a classic to me. Other than "If I ruled the world" I don't really feel anything else was manstream and that track was the shit. I loved this album summer 96 when it dropped and still love it. People were callin it classic back when it dropped. "I gave you power" was the talk on the streets!

main_man
09-07-2010, 12:54 AM
well, no hate here either. very solid album by nas. many bangers on this one.

this has proven that wu corp has very little to no hate for nas-it was written.

so i think we can close the thread now.

cap
09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
who the fuck hates on this album?? and who would care about such an idiot's opinion??

i have to re purchase my copy, cus i gave mine to a friend who's in prison.

djskillz
09-07-2010, 11:26 AM
^I've seen a few people hate on it but it's unwarranted imo. Nas came correct on this one. Matter fact most of Nas' catalogue is bangin. Only one or two albums that I don't fuck wit and even those ones have some bangers on 'em.

baritone
09-07-2010, 02:08 PM
what i dont understand is the hate on "black girl lost". i always thought that track was one of the highlights of the album

Twiztid-Wutang
09-07-2010, 07:38 PM
People looked for ANY reason to bash that album because it followed Illmatic. He could have dropped the EXACT same album Illmatic was, same beats/Lyrics and all, and people STILL would have bashed it because it followed such a classic album.

It was written is a classic in its own right..Period.