PDA

View Full Version : What is really underground?

Hollow Dartz
10-11-2005, 04:18 PM
this is a serious topic to me right here, ok. if a underground artist has a song so good that mainstream loves it and it gets alot of play on the radio now, are they still considered underground? If a UG Mc sells 1,000,000 copies is he still UG? if a UG mc is signed to a major RL is he still UG? What is really underground? are they suposed to get play on the air? y do UG artist complain about wack artist gettin air play? is it because they cant get none cause they are UG? WHAT IS REALLY UNDERGOUND HIP HOP.

oldie
10-11-2005, 04:30 PM
really good question, i cant answer but the only example i cold give is Necro/Ill Bill & co. 7L & Esoteric...guess they underground?

Hollow Dartz
10-11-2005, 04:34 PM
i hoping niggaz will answer this, people are mad because THEIR fav. artist not gettin play on the air, or tv. if they UG are they supposed to get play?

DONGOD GODDON
10-11-2005, 04:39 PM
only thing i know is . itīs not enough to live in the basement to call self underground artist

Hollow Dartz
10-11-2005, 04:47 PM
?

midGet
10-11-2005, 06:19 PM
only thing i know is . itīs not enough to live in the basement to call self underground artist

lmao.

take MF Doom as an example, he put out mad shit, many ppl listen' to his stuff, but he's still UG....true his vids ain't played that much, but he keeps it UG with his beats & mad lyrics.....he ain't rappin' bout st00pid bitches and bein' in the clubs 'n stuff like 50.

on the other hand....take Redman, he's been UG 'til he dropped Malfuction ....his 4 albums were dope & UG, he even droped lines like:

"And why is it everytime that a multiplatinum artist
always use the underground to make a comeback?
Is it fair to the hardcore niggaz that rap?
That don't give a fuck about the radio
plus the next bitch at that?"

you can't talk like this about his 2 last ones. Think even if MF Doom stuff would appear on TV, ppl wouldn't give a fuck, cause he's about some serious/funny shit and no partyin' 'n shit....UG/hardcore MC should make you think over his lines, not freak on dancefloor...

KRS One is UG for me, he's well known, but still keeps it real..

Analyze
10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I give a good example the Wu. A real emcee or group can be so nice they create their own "success" without selling or dumbing there shit down. When the Wu dropped they really didnt talk to reporters or let anyone in the studio and niggas flocked to real shit. A commercial "artist" is someone who is "born" or "shaped" through there A&R or label and repackaged to fit the latest trends. Like lets say for instants Nelly radio DJ's and PD's was telling the nigga he was wack or to local to blow then one DJ caved in to the nigga harrassing him threw his shit on the radio then what do you know, TRL gets it then its a wrap. Another one 50 he find a angle being shot 9x's like thats something to boast about, the labels think whoa instant street cred Eminiem signs him Dre backs him bam another lyrical wack nigga on the loose. Others stay away from that shit and like their skills talk for them, NAS, but its a very few niggas who can do that so they have to do the image thing to sell. I hope that helps. Anybody can jump and scream, but few can exactully spit.

Wu Forever

DUMBO
10-11-2005, 10:05 PM
midGet you are right, but MF Doom does talk about stupid bitches. Some bitches are, in fact, stupid.

Punch
10-11-2005, 11:52 PM
If a group has a maisnstream hit they are no longer undergrounnd. Underground means that you recieve little to no mainstream attention

CrunchyBlack
10-11-2005, 11:56 PM
being "underground" has NOTHING to do with the musical content. Take for example....Gangsta NIP. NOBODY has heard of him for the most part, but all his lyrics are straight "cappin fools" "smokin blunts" etc. He's underground rap.

artists like lets say...Atmosphere aren't underground. He may be "real hip hop" or whatever you wanna call it, but he gets play on TV and you can get any of his albums at my local best buy or even Target.

then you have the semi-underground artists like lil whyte. he's not full blown mainstream, but a lot of people know who he is. he doesn't have gold albums....but he sells a good ammount.

EyeHyeAm
10-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Somone one got it. The difference between undergrond and mainstream is.. MONEY! It is how much money you have to promote yourself and get it out there. Think about it, if you only have 250,000 to promote a record compared to someone who's got a couple mil, who's going to be more widely known? Good music is good music and bad music is bad music plain and simple. But if you're on a lable like Dej Jam, you're mainstream simply because you have the resources that someone on Stonesthrow doesn't quite have and that's about the end of it. That's why it's called putting out an album on an INDEPENDENT LABEL.. Say it with me now.. INDEPENDENT. It's on it's own.. not on the mainstream. But if you actually paid attention to both sides, you'd know that you'll encounter THE EXACT SAME CONTENT IN LYRICS. As someone in this post have already stated, they consider the Wu to be underground when in reality, they're mainstream. Meaning, they're available to the masses unlike somone like Rodan. And yet, if you listen to the M.I.C. crew and then to the Wu, there's a similarity in what they talk about.

But that just shows the division within Hip Hop right now that we have people who are making these type of distinctions as to what is "real Hiphop" and what's not. And then we end up shutting ourselves off to what could actually be good music, but diss it because it's got the label of being "mainstream" when that's really just a term for availability. Now, we won't deny that most of the time you have to act a certain way to be available. These labels want to make sure you sell because they want to get back that MONEY they invested in you. And certain cats just aren't marketable. Hiphop isn't whack, it's the cats that listen to it.

baby jesus
10-12-2005, 10:11 AM
I Agree With The 3 Posts Before Mine. Also I Feel It's Changed With The Times. I Feel Like In The Early 90's If You Where On A Big Label But You Werent Popular You Where Underground Now I Think It's Changed A Little Bit.

CrunchyBlack
10-12-2005, 10:33 AM
all i know is that over half the shit that gets discussed on this forum as "underground" can be found at my local best buy in oregon. so...that still makes it "underground"? lol.

"underground" has nothing to do with the type of music, it has everything to do with the status of the artist(s).

midGet
10-12-2005, 12:47 PM
midGet you are right, but MF Doom does talk about stupid bitches. Some bitches are, in fact, stupid.

right, but not in every song ;)

so is this about being your album in chain-stores like target or bestbuy? lmao .....actually, could be, I found MF albums in an UG store lol

Hollow Dartz
10-12-2005, 03:24 PM
thnx people

CrunchyBlack
10-12-2005, 04:16 PM
right, but not in every song ;)

so is this about being your album in chain-stores like target or bestbuy? lmao .....actually, could be, I found MF albums in an UG store lol
i bought operation doomsday at best buy...

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-12-2005, 05:30 PM
underground is the non mainstream stuff, and it is eay to tell what is mainstream

midGet
10-13-2005, 04:42 AM
i bought operation doomsday at best buy...

best buy is going UG, lmao ....maybe the CEO changed and he's more in UG stuff now ;)