4. Faithful
5. Testify
6. Love Is
7. Chi-City
8. The Food (Live)
9. Real People
10. They Say feat. Kanye West & John Legend
11. It's Your World (Part 1 & 2)

Nice album, no weak tracks, but to me it doesn't get a lot of plays as an album. It just doesn't have the cross from really good into brilliant. Love the beats but I think Common is a pretty over rated MC, he sometimes sounds really average.

Be, The Corner and Real People are the biggest highlights to me, overall about 7.5/10

MaShPG
10-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I gave it an 8

Be, The Corner, Chi-City, They Say, and It's Your World are my favorites

not Commons best cd, but still a solid effort;better than electric circus!

snapple
10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
i don't like common, his delivery/flow is boring, lyircal content is immature, concepts undeveloped and unoriginal, he's just a weak MC not one track did he lyrically impress me at all. give that shit a 6, cause kanye comes NICE on the boards, but hot production can only take you so far...

hellbound
10-11-2005, 07:31 PM
7 - not really any thing special avrage lyrics, nice production

Analyze
10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Nice on par with his earlier work. A blank cd was better than Electric Circus

G...
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
10. I actually think this album is a cold cut classic, definitely by modern standards... and definitely a classic all-round for me. ONE

RaE
10-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Damn, I'm tha only one who thinks this was a classic...I'm definately feelin' this...flow, content, imagery in his words/ phrases....are ya'll listenin' to "Be" or "Electric Circus???"...lol, suprised none of ya'll feelin' this one...damn.

deadlymelody
10-12-2005, 07:17 PM
8 out of 10

Why hate on Common? He's got some of the best lyrics out there. I used to Love her anyone? Anyway, this is a real nice album to me.

FrenchShin
10-13-2005, 01:44 AM
this album really makes me feel good.

Analyze
10-13-2005, 08:34 AM
I think this album hot, but its not a classic

Witty
10-13-2005, 12:34 PM
i don't like common, his delivery/flow is boring, lyircal content is immature, concepts undeveloped and unoriginal, he's just a weak MC not one track did he lyrically impress me at all. give that shit a 6, cause kanye comes NICE on the boards, but hot production can only take you so far...

Common? A weak MC? I'm gonna guess the only album you've heard from him was "Be", cause Com is definitely a top 10 lyricist of all time.

As for "Be"....I give it an 8...Its not the classic it was hyped up to be. Its not that any of the tracks are bad, but nothing is excelent, and Only Chi City truly brings Com back to his ridiculous word-play days. Its a solid album, but just because its better than the Ying Yang Twins album or the Mike Jones cd, doesnt make it a "Modern day classic"

Protection
10-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't know how y'all measure your favorite emcees, but how the fuck can Common be a "weak lyricists"? This album is the best album of the year so far. All tracks blew my mind. I just love it.

princeblack
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
This albums hot! It will keep bumping in my system till the new Ghostface. It should have got the 5mics

MaShPG
10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
I honestly don't like Kanye's beats that much. I'd much rather prefer Hi-Tek or even NO I.D.

Common was the one who actually got me into Hip Hop, and away from Rap. I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Ressurection, so that makes him one of the biggest influences in my life, and I haven't even met him. Much love goes out to Com, one of the great emcees.

Antibody
10-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Common? A weak MC? I'm gonna guess the only album you've heard from him was "Be", cause Com is definitely a top 10 lyricist of all time.

As for "Be"....I give it an 8...Its not the classic it was hyped up to be. Its not that any of the tracks are bad, but nothing is excelent, and Only Chi City truly brings Com back to his ridiculous word-play days. Its a solid album, but just because its better than the Ying Yang Twins album or the Mike Jones cd, doesnt make it a "Modern day classic"
I wouldn't call Common a weak MC. I think he's average, but not weak. I don't know how you can say his lyrical content is immature. You're right about his flow tho... boring.

dat MF
10-14-2005, 08:10 AM
8/10 very very nice album

J-DON
10-14-2005, 03:51 PM
8.5... lol its a consistant album and its listenable the whole way through. I like all the tracks the same but none of them are 10s or really stand out so me so every track is an 8 or 9 therefore making the album an 8.5.

Fragmented
10-14-2005, 07:43 PM
2/10 i'm being honest here this album got downloaded and deleted, same as late registration, waste of a hour,

Decka
10-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I gave it 8/10 its a solid album in my opinion, and it has one of the best intros ever imo.

Peace

cap
10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
I Agree With Anyone Who Said It Is A Classic
I Simply Love It
The Intro Just Blew Me Away
It Should Have Gotten 5 Mics
Classic
Under Appreciated

Alex36
10-30-2005, 07:56 PM
i liked it but got bored with it quite quick, 5

makalani
10-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I give it a 7 there are a few classic songs but it is inconsistant and it bored me very fast.

Jimmy Focus
11-03-2005, 10:24 AM
ths is a straight up classic

Poetic Wun
11-05-2005, 02:58 PM
i think it's the best common album so far but not a classic it was too "love" infested, not that there's anything wrong with that but not on everysong, that's why "corners" "testify" & "Be" are my fav. tracks. i gave a 6.

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
11-05-2005, 03:05 PM
meh decent

he has waaaaay better albums

Wu-Tality
11-10-2005, 05:51 PM
never listen to it anymo 7/10

Strange Fruit
11-11-2005, 02:29 AM
word.

he's had better... but it's a good album.

Protection
03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
1. Be | 5/5
Incredible song to start off the album.

2. The Corner feat. The Last Poets | 4.5/5
At first this wasn't one of my favorite songs off the album. Thought it was way too simple, the beat, the flow and how TLP was used in the song.

3. Go! | 5/5
Another great Common song about women. He's good at making these grown man songs about women. Incredible beat by Kanye.

4. Faithful | 5/5
I caught chills the first time I heard the beat. The sample Kanye used is unbelivable. I really love Common's first verse about how we'd treated God if he was a she.

5. Testify | 4/5
Didn't feel the beat that much for a long time, but it's grown on me a lot. Love the storytelling by Common.

6. Love Is | 4/5
J. Dilla hooked Common up with a real laidback, summertime beat. Great beat, Common does his thing but not mindblowing.

7. Chi-City | 4/5
The only song of the album that's bit grimey. Dope.

8. The Food (Live) | 5/5
I've wanted a studio version of this song since I heard it on Dave Chappelle and thought it be included in the album but nope... Anyway, the live version is dope as fuck too.

9. Real People | 4/5
Jazzy beat and real cool. Nothing incredible at all but still dope.

10. They Say feat. Kanye West & John Legend | 3.5/5
Wish Kanye could've been replaced with a more interesting mc, Talib or Mos Def for example. Other than KW's verse this song is dope.

11. It's Your World (Part 1 & 2) | 4.5/5
Fell in love with this song immediately. Still love it.

I won't say whether it's a classic or not, because it's too early to tell. But I can definately see this album becoming an alltime classic. I know I loved it, even though at first I didn't think Kanye and Common would mix well. Guess I was wrong...

Frank Drebin
03-03-2006, 04:36 AM
i really didnt like this album at all and the more i try and listen to it and enjoy it the worse it sounds to me. 1/5

BRONZBODY
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
good shit resurection is the best but can i borrow a dollar is my personal fav...

Rebel_INS
03-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Not really my type of shit.

6/10

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
03-23-2006, 11:49 PM
i love this album i think its a classic though

Biggbwoy
03-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I think this shit was classic

KaramelSundae
04-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Nice on par with his earlier work. A blank cd was better than Electric Circus

co-sign

Aqueous Moon
04-20-2006, 11:52 AM
omg...electric circus made me wanna have a seizure!

his latest is 10x better...

Aqueous Moon
04-20-2006, 11:55 AM
uh uh...just...uh uh

you go hafta put that record on and show me what turned you on about it....

Aqueous Moon
04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
aight...I feel you.

It was different...I did admire that about it.

TUCO
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
damn didnt realize so many ppls hated on this album
not a classic at all but still a damn good LP, no doubt
some of Kanye's best here....and Com' spits with niiiiice flow and delivery, messages come out nicely
the track BE is one of the best jump offs ever...the way the beat builds up is so nice
8/10

Aqueous Moon
04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
track number 3 i believe it is, is a good fuck track.

Word?...cuz, ya know I'll put that shit on right now...just for the thought of it, King...lol.

12weLvE
04-21-2006, 10:47 AM
One of the best albums of 05:

1. Be 5/5
2. The Corner feat. The Last Poets 4.5/5
3. Go! 5/5
4. Faithful 5/5
5. Testify 5/5
6. Love Is 4/5
7. Chi-City 5/5
8. The Food (Live) 5/5
9. Real People 4/5
10. They Say feat. Kanye West & John Legend 4.5/5
11. It's Your World (Part 1 & 2) 4/5

meddmawamm
04-22-2006, 08:45 PM
4 mics... Common is an incredible mc. Some classics on here while a few tracks drag on with some of Kanye's more boring production. I also think they should have put the studio version of "The Food" on here and not the live version.

I'd rank this third behind Resurrection and Like Water For Chocolate.

Bodega Pop Tartz
04-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Not a classic, but still dope.

DREW-DIE$EL
04-22-2006, 09:22 PM
this album severly dissapointed me.

EVEN FLOW
04-24-2006, 04:54 PM
what> Common sense is nasty! This album is 8.5/10 cause its too short. Kanye and Comm are the shot!

Funk_Dock
04-24-2006, 06:22 PM
its a great album but not a classic comon. id give it 4/5

how can you say his flow is borin...lets take 'the corner' or 'go' as examples, he switches up his flow to suit the beats, and both times his flow is on point

not his best work lyrically, but com still spits decent lyrics and the beats are pretty dope

p.s. common is not a top 10 lyricist

B-Ball-Hov
05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
i would give commons albulm 4 mics! i liked the albulm alot! it had some hot tracks. i would of gave it 5 mics but is was lacking in producers. i would have to say kayne did a good job tho! common is aan incredible MC. common got a poetic style and thats wassup! i liked the albulm alot but i dont kno if it could be a classic! some 1 let me kno!

INF
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
When I got this, I felt robbed for weeks, Then I read an article where Common said that it was a classic and I listened again in spite....... He was right. Even tho it only has 11 tracks or whatever. Guess he was keepin it ol' school. *shrugs*

One.:king:

357 NYC
06-19-2006, 12:50 PM
To Me This Is His 2nd Best Album...resurrection First(of Course) This Right Behind It...i Loved The First Two Lp's But From One Day....to Electric...he Kinda Lost Me....this Is The Common I Love...cant Wait For His New Album Hopefully Droppin Round September I Think

beardman
09-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't like this album at all..

Lyrics are average, commons flow is boring.. only real pluspoint is the production.

My rating: 5/10
________
Kizashi (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_Kizashi)

INF
09-26-2006, 10:35 AM
The outro for the album is enough to uplift anybody.

TheCat
09-27-2006, 12:57 AM
i think its a strong album, i can listen to it a whole and not skip

CharlesJones
09-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I haven't liked Common since Resurrection album so i didn't even bother to listen to Be. Ever since he got with Erykah Badu, she turned him into a bitch and the clothes he wears is gay. He also needs to get off Kanye's dick and work with some other producers who can give him some hard beats instead of these gay Kanye beats he's been rapping over the last 2 albums. How is it that people never mention his first album Can I Borrow A Dollar? That album and Resurrection are his best albums.

HarlemDiplomat
07-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Classic...

Tony Bandana
01-04-2009, 01:31 PM
The Food is one of the most soulfull hiphop tracks i ever heard.

4/5

claaa7
03-10-2010, 05:55 AM
i don't know how you gonna say Common are an average lyricist, he got great lyrics with a lot of thought put into them and when he's on that shit he can flow his ass off. "Be" was a good redemption from the over-produced and over-blown experiment that was "Electric Circus". this has been said to be Com's most 'safe' album yet and i could definitely see where that statement is coming from, getting Kanye West to produce the album using his traditional production style aŽla 2005 with the soul samples.

neither lyrically or production-wise it's on par with "Like Water For Chocolate" and "Resurection" but that doesn't mean it's weak by any means. it's a very solid effort and i like the fact that it's a old-school 11 track 40 mintues long album without any wack songs on it. i think the album could've benefitted from some more Dilla production though, his two songs "Love Is" and "It's Your World" are the two best joints off the album and heavily outhsines West's production work.

4/5

JakobR
03-31-2010, 04:22 AM
I definitely enjoyed this album.

Kanye West has done a great job at the board while Common seems to be at his best; smooth flow and clever lyrics. When speaking of lyrics, I really think Common has done it his own way as he "paints" pictures with his lyrics (especially in Real people). His creative mulitisyllabic rhyming makes it easy for the listener to relate to what he's saying imo.

In general I just like his melodic style.

8/10

claaa7
03-31-2010, 05:51 AM
since my CD-drive is fucked up and can't rip my Cd's i downloaded this album in order to put it on my iPod. it just so happened that i got my hands on an advance copy of the LP that i didn't even knew existed; it had a studio version of "The Food" featuring a third verse from Common, the song "They Say" still had John Legend and Common's vocals but instead of KanYe's weak verse there was one from Consequence (which was better imo). The kids was not featured at the end of "It's Your World" and the production on Part 2 was slightly different i think. anyone heard this?

fatboybrandon
03-31-2010, 09:36 AM
uX4qQR7P3ZA

Common's Be maybe more simple in it's composition than some of his other albums, but that is what makes it good. It is an example of how hip hop music can be at it's greatest, to near classic level based on the simplicity of how it is made, taking from the basic structure of our Golden Era albums.

I feel Be is a good album within the total range of Common albums, even when you compare it against the other more raw sounding, sample based ones. The album was a little overhyped because of that review in XXL and the standard of music were lower, maybe because overall quality of hip hop reached a low point back in the mid 2000's.

Nevertheless, Be pushes the envelope in the way hip hop songs are made, Kanye and Jay Dee tap into the traditional elements of sample use and manipulation to bring a cohesive, soulful sound. The vivid street poetry and writing effort of Common is at a new height on Be, showing you he is one of the most talented MCs to describe the passion of ghetto experience, bringing cinematic images of history, music and Black culture forth in writing.

Be's release came at a great time. Unfortunately there wasn't much traditional hip hop coming out that sparked interest on a classic level, coming after a period where the music & culture was raped and exhausted by an industry concerned with mass materialism. I feel like Be is an answer to that time by bringing back the essence in the music of appreciation for the opposite of what was glorified in the media. This album helped to bring back focus on things the average hip hop head can relate to in everyday life such as love, community, hope and happiness of simple things in life.

From a production standpoint, Be might have been Kanye & Common's best effort to bring back that feel of raw hip hop in general and simplify Common's music back to basic samples, breaks and loops coming after the deep musicality of LWFC.

Common has been good at giving us variety in songwriting while extending a bit of himself each time by providing his own life experiences and guidance. The musical bed determines how his messages come across each time, so if you like a more raw, straightforward sound from Common, I'd say this is the album to go with.

QrSKvXw13OQ

Mic Tyson
03-31-2010, 02:07 PM
since my CD-drive is fucked up and can't rip my Cd's i downloaded this album in order to put it on my iPod. it just so happened that i got my hands on an advance copy of the LP that i didn't even knew existed; it had a studio version of "The Food" featuring a third verse from Common, the song "They Say" still had John Legend and Common's vocals but instead of KanYe's weak verse there was one from Consequence (which was better imo). The kids was not featured at the end of "It's Your World" and the production on Part 2 was slightly different i think. anyone heard this?

nah didn't know it existed. i was about to make a thread askin if they made a studio version of "the food". i would want to hear that

Rollo
04-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Although I'm not a fan of Common, out of his discography the only album I'd down was Electric Circus.
This was a solid cd and to say otherwise is just rubbish.

As for average lyrics, Common has NEVER had average or below average lyrics and he never will. He cares too much about his craft.