PDA

View Full Version : Unkut reviews the Buckwild/Celph Titled joint...

claaa7
09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
and calls it one of the best albums of the year. i can't wait till i get a hold of this, that's for sure... seems like Mista Sinista is doing the turntable work and cuts which is a good look, he killed it on the early Common albums.

http://www.unkut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/celphbuck-cover.jpg

When this was first announced, I thought, ‘Sure, this might be decent’. I mean a new album of Buckwild beats from the 90′s sounded good on paper, but these things have a habit of failing to deliver more often than not, so I kinda forgot about the whole thing after hearing the initial leak. The link to the advance version arrived in my inbox a couple of days ago, but it wasn’t until I needed something new to rock in the ride on Saturday night that I gave it a shot. As it turns out, this is actually one of the most
enjoyable records I’ve listened to all year.

I’m not going to sit here and act like I was ever a big fan of Celph Titled as a rapper. He’s made some dope beats over the years, but something about his cadence just didn’t sound right to me. Yet over these top notch Buck productions, it all makes sense. It’s amazing just how much the right track can enhance the MC’s – even guys like Vinnie Paz (who may have worn out his welcome with a few listeners) sounds refreshed over these vintage beats. Celph proves to be a perfect match here, toning-down his usual exaggerated punchline delivery for something more natural, without sacrificing the wordplay. Ninteen Ninety Now sticks to the classic album blueprint of the era, which is never a bad thing considering how effective it can be in the right hands. You get the sex track, the auto-biographical joint, the all-star posse cut…even some effin’ ragga chanting! They haven’t missed a trick.

The quality that separates this from some kind of hokey Jurrassic 5 style throwback record is the simple fact that it’s not a throwback at all – this is just a great LP based on the tried-and-tested formulas that are often forgotten by the n00b schoolers. I’m at a loss as to why nobody chose to use these beats when Buck first made them though. Maybe he never played them to anyone and just kept them in the stash? Either way, Celph Titled, Buckwild and Mista Sinista make for a good combination in 2010. Another victory for the Conservative Rap Coalition…SOURCE (http://www.unkut.com/2010/09/album-review-celph-titled-buckwild-nineteen-ninety-now/#more-4424)

djskillz
09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
thanks. definitely gonna check it out.

Tecknowledgist
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
fuckin pumped for this! the two songs that leaked are ballin as shit. really wanna hear the joint with DITC and Brand Nubian

claaa7
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
^ you're not kidding, that should be MONUMENTAL. i've been hyped about that track since i first saw the tracklist. according to this review, he says that the beats are incredible so it's no wack throw-away joints from the '90s that was aight but didn't cut the edge of albums like "Word...Life", the Mic Geronimo joints, Mad Skillz and all the countless crazy underground remixes he did back then. i guess he made so many beats a day at periods so alot of incredible shit just ended up in the vaults till now.

Mr. R&B
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I hate reviewers like this, the ones who can't give any artist praise without making some snide, backhanded comment in the process.

Pretentious faggot. :nerdy:

And using a term like "n00b schoolers"...really ???????????

Fucking cracker.

claaa7
09-07-2010, 03:48 PM
nah man, the guy from Unkut who does the reviews is incredible in what he does. if you never was at the site, then go there asap if you like that raw hardcore hip-hop. it's alot of focus on '80s and '90s interviews, plus a few people from now like The P Brothers, Roc Marciano (got a flawless review for "Marcberg" btw. one of my favorite hip-hop sites i know of

Mr. R&B
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't like reveiwers in gereral.

At least, not the ones who get paid for it.

No one person's opinion is worth more than the next when it comes to music.

No matter how many people on this forum and Hip-Hop fans in general think otherwise.

Tage
09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
can't wait, love Celph Titled.

I hate reviewers like this, the ones who can't give any artist praise without making some snide, backhanded comment in the process.

Pretentious faggot. :nerdy:

And using a term like "n00b schoolers"...really ???????????

Fucking cracker.

haha... brilliant post.

Djaminha
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't like reveiwers in gereral.

At least, not the ones who get paid for it.

No one person's opinion is worth more than the next when it comes to music.

No matter how many people on this forum and Hip-Hop fans in general think otherwise.
Exactly.

That's why I don't bother with reviews for anyything.

Food reviews }:| They are by far the worst out the lot