PDA

View Full Version : Hype >>> Lyrics

buckshotstheone
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Today I look at how no matter how lyrical you are, energy is far more important, every damn time.

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2010/09/09/hype-lyrics/

The usual response youíll get from those true and tired hip hop heads (sorry but I hate that term, #justsayin) when you ask what the most important skill an artist must possess is, will be that itís the lyrics. Without words that make you think, or brilliantly articulate an important point, or make you die laughing from the cleverness of a punchline, an artist is nothing more than a voice over a beat, and even a good flow canít save shitty lyrics (cue up everyoneís favorite punching bag, Lilí Dap). But there is actually a trait more important than lyrical ability, a skill that can make even the worst of verbal scientists become the biggest name in hip hop, and thatís energy.

When an MC speaks with such authority and hype as someone like DMX does, it really doesnít matter what he says, because the force of the words will make anything he says seem relevant. I feel like some comedians have looked at this before, Chris Rock did it with regard to feminist bitches grinding the floor to some shit they end up banning Nelly from their campus for, and some white dude has probably mentioned rappers screaming words and it being a hit, you know how that goes though (http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/brute/). But the truth of it comes not just from Lilí Jon shrieking out interjections for no apparent reason, it also comes from looking at the crazy amount of talent that goes under-appreciated not in the underground sense, but just in comparison to some of their peers who get more shine for not being as smart.

Look at a mafucka like Rick Ross, dude spits like 4 words in a bar, drops as much knowledge as Juelz Santana, and yet roars with the force of Guerilla Black (see what I did there?). And even though his album isnít topping the charts like other people who used to say very little but screamed very much, and now just say nothing relevant and sing like bitches (http://www.mtv.com/content/ontv/movieawards/2009/photo/flipbook/09-show-highlights/eminem-face-ass-bruno.jpg), Rick Ross is still a household name while Black Thought remains the most underrated MC of all time. Now Iím not comparing their styles of hip hop, Iím comparing two MCs who saw albums drop within a month of each other. While How I Got Over went triple-sandpaper, Rick Ross at least sold enough to justify another ďMaybach MusicĒ. So what did it, (aside from the extremely mainstream production), I could point to the fact that Rick Ross rhymes are epic, not because of what heís saying, but because of his delivery and energy. That mafucka sounds pumped up. And for a dude with bigger tits than Cassie (is that why she fell off?) itís quite amazing that he can come with so much intensity (pause), hence the comparisons to Biggie.

On the flip-side, mafuckas are STILL hating on Fabolous, even though lyrically heís easily one of the greatest in the game right now. The mafucka puts together amazing complete albums as well as ridiculously sick mixtapes, and people still hate, but oh no Jadakiss always gets love, and granted he got the streets on lock, but his albums always end up being what he referred to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sEgVSSUwTQ) 50ís second album as, ďsomething to break up buds onĒ. But with his lazy ass flow Fabolous always gets clowned on for making too many bitch tracks, or some other bullshit excuse that keeps the haters hating.

So even if youíre Canibus with your lyrics, unless you come with some 2Pac type energy (another MC who owes a lot more to his intensity than to his notebooks), youíll end up with a tribute from hip hop like Guru did, instead of being the next Kanye, who with the perfect combination of both lyrics and energy, is the greatest MC in the game right now.

Sunz of Man
09-10-2010, 01:23 AM
That Rick Ross album was terrible..did you really just compare Rick Ross to Biggie??

BTW Guru >>>> Kanye, who is most definitely not the greatest MC in the game today.

dad
09-10-2010, 02:32 AM
die dude, just die.

TAURO
09-10-2010, 02:51 AM
To be honest I don't think I would like the artist if he couldn't deliver both.

copywrite
09-10-2010, 03:20 AM
That was terrible. Are you 15?

buckshotstheone
09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
That Rick Ross album was terrible..did you really just compare Rick Ross to Biggie??

BTW Guru >>>> Kanye, who is most definitely not the greatest MC in the game today.

the comparison has been made already, i just brought it back up, Puffy is the one who said Rick Ross is like the new Biggie.

Tommy
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Another terrible article. Who exactly do you write these for? I'm not hating, but nobody on here likes your shit so why continue posting it?

You sound like you just discovered hip hop or something; we do not need to be told that Rick Ross sold more than The Roots or why he sold more. You are lucky that dope blog "Hip Hop Is Read" plugs you, because if it wasn't for them, nobody would be checking for your crappy site.

Mr. R&B
09-10-2010, 02:59 PM
The way this dude's threads get shit on is hilarious.

I always enjoy reading the replies.

I don't really have a problem with the OP, but the way everyone else gets bent out of shape is funny as fuck.

Everyone needs a scapegoat, I suppose.

ALCATRAZ
09-10-2010, 05:46 PM
lol fabolous does make too many bitch tracks... how u gon defend that nigga for making all those love songs... you can't have it both ways... fab had his chance to enter the game on his own terms and he chose the powder puff route... thats why the nigga is irrelevant, always has been