PDA

View Full Version : c7 presents Pete Rock & CL Smooth - "Between A Rock & A Smooth Place" (16 tracks)

claaa7
09-10-2010, 07:37 AM
here's another dope compilation i thought i'd share with y'all. i think i put this together about a year ago or something and been bumping it every now and then. Pete Rock and CL Smooth is of course one of the most legendary duo's ever witnessed as far as hip-hop music goes and only thing that might keep them from Gang Starr's spot as #1 (MC/DJ,Producer line-up) is the lack of material in comparision. The duo put out a debut EP in 1991, "All Souled Out", to test the waters before dropping their real debut - the 85 minutes masterpiece "Mecca & The Soul Brother". An all-around great album and with 1994's follow-up "The Main Ingredient" their legacy as legends in the game were sealed. Despite incredible chemistry between the pair on wax, inner tensions drove the duo to break up shortly after.

Since then they re-united several time with their regained friendship only lasting short periods each time, but despite this they done some heavy collaborations since their initial break-up - especially those on Pete Rock's solo albums which are represented on this compilation. The first 8 tracks is made up of B-sides, guest spots and soundtrack songs the duo made before the break-up in 1995. Tracks 8-16 is compiled of the material they recorded after that, starting with "Da Two" from the 'Soul Survivor' album. While the compilation is not set up 100% in chronological order, i tried to put the songs in pretty much that context. All songs are produced by Pete Rock.

PETE ROCK & CL SMOOTH - "BETWEEN A ROCK & A SMOOTH PLACE" (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S4VXDGM0)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eSzTgDTdB54/SnsYwlLPvbI/AAAAAAAABpo/J2BYB79fJcQ/s400/Good+Life+The+Best+of+Pete+Rock+%26+CL+Smooth+Fron t.jpeg
A1. "It's Not A Game" (1993)
A2. "What's Next On The Menu" (1993)
A3. "Down With The King" (Ft. Run DMC) (1993)
A4. "One In A Million" (1993)
A5. "Don't Curse" (Ft. Heavy D, Q-Tip, Kool G Rap, Grand Puba & Big Daddy Kane) (1991)
A6. "Who's The Mic Wrecka" (Ft. Da Youngsta's) (1993)
A7. "Death Becomes You" (Ft. YG'z) (1993)
A8. "We Specialize" (Ft. ?) (1995)

B1. "Da Two" (1998)
B2. "Back On Da Block" (2000)
B3. "Shine On Me" (2002)
B4. "Climax" (2002)
B5. "Family Affair Pt. 2" (Ft. Mary J. Blige) (2002)
B6. "It's A Love Thing" (2004)
B7. "Who Is This?" (Ft. Passi) (2005)
B8. "Appreciate" (2004)

THE MASON
09-10-2010, 07:46 AM
dope shit Claaa7

i was thinking about doing a Pete Rock compilation myself (been listen to a lot of Pete Rock) just did dont know what to base it on lol.

anyways, imma give this a spin or two for sure. i agree with the statement that they are close to Gang Starr as number 1 MC/producer duo and i might even put them up there myself, but its hard to deny the catalogue of Gang Starr.

Preemo and Pete Rock are two very skilled and talented individuals, the difference is imo, Pete is more selective with who he works with

fatboybrandon
09-10-2010, 11:18 AM
That tracklist looks good claaa7, I think that selection is great for summertime listening. It's hard to find a dark Pete & CL track or one that don't make you feel good, We Specialize or What's Next is probably the darkest.

They put out some gems overseas as b-sides and unreleased over the years some official and many bootleg, especially in Japan. You'll be amazed when digging sometimes for Hip Hop out there.

I think they shot the video for Down With The King in Riverside Church near to where I grew up on 122nd and Riverside in Manhattan. If you ever visit, take a look at the interior.

CharlesJones
09-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I've heard some of these songs before but i'd like to get this compilation from you Claaa7. Death Becomes You song they did on Menace II Society soundtrack is the shit. Such a shame they broke up because they were ill together. I was listening to Mecca And The Soul Brother and The Main Ingredient albums in the car today.

Lex Lugor
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Again, just gettin this, bump.

Taskmaster2112
11-21-2010, 06:58 PM
hey claaa, i've really been digging a lot of your comps that you've put together (you've got a gift for sequencing that i've still been trying to master with my own compilations that i've been trying to put together), but since i've only been on the boards for a little over a year, i feel like i've missed a bunch of your compilations. i'm pretty sure a few people have asked you to do this so far, but could you put together a thread with a master list (with download links) of most or all of your compilations? i'm sure many of us would really appreciate it. thanks bud.

djskillz
11-21-2010, 11:28 PM
i owe you rep. thanks.