PDA

View Full Version : What's Hip Hop?

Southern Solja
09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Is Soulja Boy as much Hip-Hop as Raekwon? Is there a certain criteria that a song or album needs to follow for it to be "Hip-Hop?" What is that criteria(to you) and why?

I believe that acts like Soulja Boy are a much needed addition to the game today. Without someone enticing the club scene,(which is the origins of Hip-Hop), then life would be pretty boring.

I believe Hip-Hop is about diversification. We can't have everyone trying to be the next Nas or Common without having a rapper whose music spawns from the club scene. We can't dance to I Used To Love Her, or Hip Hop Saved My Life. But turn on Crank Dat, All The Way Turnt Up, and Walk It Out and we got a party.

I believe the reason people believe Hip Hop is in a "ill" state is that the diversity isn't there. People like J.Cole, the Wu-Tang, Nas, and Common are least likely to be played than acts scuh as Gucci Mane, T.I., Jay-Z, Ludacris, and more. That is because the audience has changed. And with the internet age booming and seeing no end, time seems to move faster and faster.

You can't create a record like "Kick, Push", which was made only 5 years ago, and expect to do as well as Lupe. Some rappers are bent on staying in the time period in which made them famous, but aren't following Jay-Z's example and trying to expand with the time, sowing the next generation the ever-expanding and wonderful culture of Hip-Hop, not just rap.

Some rappers forget what they represent, but they represent it none the less. Conscious rap is not Hip-Hop. Club rap is not Hip-Hop. Rap within it's self is not Hip-Hop. Bboying/Dancing, Rapping, DJing/Producing, and Graffiti are the aspects that create Hip-Hop. I believe the oversimplification of the genre is what always contributes to it's piss poor state today.

Frank Sobotka
09-11-2010, 03:33 AM
I notice that most of the people who say hip-hop is dead only listen to mainstream hip-hop.

I say hip-hop is becoming more and more diverse each day.
There are more sub-genre's now then just "G-Funk" & "Conscious" Rap.
Gucci doesn't even call his music hip-hop but "Trap"

drippie k
09-11-2010, 05:31 AM
i think people saying soulja boy isnt hip-hop or that he's killing hip-hop are fucking stupid...its like, are you really gonna look into that dude's lyrical content? youre MAD cuz he's not "lyrical" enough for you? you take it THAT serious??

LORD NOSE
09-11-2010, 01:09 PM
they all are Hip Hop expressing itself in many different ways on may different levels - Yes Souljah Boy is Hip Hop - some people can get high off of the weakest most mildest weed - some require high grade OG

Undiluted Karma
09-11-2010, 01:23 PM
they all are Hip Hop expressing itself in many different ways on may different levels - Yes Souljah Boy is Hip Hop - some people can get high off of the weakest most mildest weed - some require high grade OG

Well fucking put my dude.

Too much politics with hip hop and music in the broader context. If you like the music listen to it. Yes, imo Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy are wack, but that's the beautiful thing about music, theres so much versatility in that there is something for everyone.

Now all those people on here and youtube constantly gassing about Lil Wayne is wack fuck that shit blah blah is lame and to be frank retarded. It's not like hip hop is dead, because it damn well isnt. Theres enough dope stuff and vibrance in underground hip hop to tide people well over. 2010 alone saw and will continue to see well recieved hip hop releases.

How I Got Over
Trill OG (which arguably breaches both lines)
Kill Devil Hills
Classic(Rah Digga) which got 4 stars by HHDX
etc
etc
etc

Rae' unleashed a truly excellent undeground album which merked the charts in 09, which excellerated his popularity and has made him the go to guy for an excellent verse both within underground and mainstream circles. Shaolin vs Wu Tang, I'm confident will continue that trend.

Later on alone we have Hell Razah/Masta Killa/Jim Jones(people hate on him but i think hes dope) etc etc

MAYOR QUIMBY
09-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Method Man is just as hip-hop as Lil Wayne. When people argue about how the "real/true hip-hop" is dead, they are admitting defeat. They are saying that they are ashamed of where rap music and hip-hop culture has gone. I don't know about you guys but hip-hop is FFAAARRRR from being dead. It's more popular today than it has ever been. Hip-hop has mostly always been about two things: Expressing yourself, and getting the party started. Those things are still alive and well in hip-hop.

MaskedAvenger
09-12-2010, 03:07 AM
If you don't know the difference then your not hip hop

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Its how you represent the culture.

copywrite
09-12-2010, 04:06 AM
If you have such low standards that you enjoy Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne, good for you. But I expect a little more substance out of music than cookie-cutter bullshit that's only made to make themselves rich and famous. It's the same with movies. I don't care if you enjoy movies like Transformers, but don't try to tell me it's a quality movie when it's not.

Meta4
09-12-2010, 07:48 AM
If you don't know the difference then your not hip hop

Cthulhu
09-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Here's a better question.... how come club/dance music w/ rapped vocals in America is so shitty but in the UK they made grime and dubstep?

fatboybrandon
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Nowadays I usually think to myself that Hip Hop would be much easier to define if there was no multi billion dollar mass media force controlling it.

Just as people everyday in society are bombarded with over exaggerated images of what beauty or success in life is through ads, magazine and TV, the true meaning of Hip Hop gets easily twisted by media based on greed. I come from a career background in print media.

I believe in tradition, if you have knowledge and respect for the elements of the culture from it's birth and you create from there I believe that's Hip Hop. Don't let someone run for US office and not at least know the basic history of Congress.

some people can get high off of the weakest most mildest weed - some require high grade OG

good analogy, I think Hip Hop's all about choice of what you want nowadays being that it's expanded into different styles of expression from different regions. What is high grade to one person may not be so for another.