PDA

View Full Version : What is "Real" Hip Hop Pt. 2

buckshotstheone
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Today I expand on my original topic of "real" hip hop by shifting the focus from the fans to the artists themselves.....

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2010/09/15/what-is-real-hip-hop-pt-2/

The other day I looked at how fans get all entitled about what they consider “real” hip hop to be (http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2010/09/12/what-is-real-hip-hop/), and how unless it’s something they like, it basically falls into their own little personal category of not being “real” hip hop. Now I’m gonna look at the artists themselves, the ones who create this music that we all love so much, and look at the ones that will claim that they are making the realest of the real hip hop when in fact they are just making themselves look like idiots, or even worse, making themselves completely irrelevant.

Once upon a time, hip hop was an escape to those who had nowhere else to go, it was a place for people to let out their emotions and give you a little slice of their life. Nowadays it’s more important to rhyme as many words as possible in a line and say the funniest thing you can think of, even if that means having zero personality. Yes, there are some extremely talented punchline rappers, those MCs that you know will make you crack up laughing, but do you really wanna bump an entire album of jokes? Wouldn’t you be better off just watching a Chris Rock special? Or how about the golden age throwback rapper who got what the white kids call “multis”? I mean every single word in every single line rhymes but at the end of the verse you realize that dude didn’t actually SAY anything. Then there’s the studio gangsta, the dude who shows up to the booth with rhymes about how he sells kilos of coke on the regular, gets into gun fights every day, and is at that moment getting his dick sucked by a dime piece, but then leaves the studio and goes home to his one room apartment with his wife who would only be a 3 if you were trashed and watches Scarface again for research while twisting up trees that look browner than the guts of the cigar. All these clowns represent an epidemic in hip hop of artists who are putting up an image that they don’t represent, and the result is a rapper who really isn’t worth listening to, even though he’s the one yelling the loudest about “keeping it real”.

When I’m listening to your music it should give me a look into your life, I should feel like I know a little bit about you when I’m done. Your album should be like an autobiography, with different tales and ideas being brought forth from your mind, it shouldn’t just be a bunch of random rhymes about shit you’ve never done or a bunch of references to shit no one cares about anymore. If punchlines are your thing then at least make them relevant, that’s why Fabolous got the fanbase he does. But if you think making jokes about some obscure childhood toy you had is gonna get you fans, you’re dreaming, it’s just gonna make your friends ask you what the fuck you’re talking about, then dickride you when you explain what the reference means, but that gets you nowhere, it just helps you not cry about your lack of sales a little bit more.

There are more rappers now than fans, so in order to stand out you gotta give the fans something to remember, and having a personality is the first step, content is the second. You shouldn’t have to try to be something you’re not, and you shouldn’t rely on jacking other peoples’ flows when writing your verses. If you’re saying “yeah I caught a *insert rapper name here* vibe on this track” then you aren’t doing you, and the result will be a track that only functions as a novelty. Unless you want your fanbase to be your friends who have to tell you that you’re good, be original, find your own flow, and try to be universally appealing, unless you’re just rapping for a hobby, which I’ll discuss next time…