Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan

Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sound Shack (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Any Blues Fans Up In This Motherfucker? (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101216)

noel411 10-22-2010 07:28 PM

Any Blues Fans Up In This Motherfucker?

I've been listening to a fair bit of Eric Clapton/Cream/Derek and the Dominos lately, and really enjoying some of the more bluesy tracks, so I thought I might like to check out some of the blues artists who influenced these guys, especially Clapton's guitar style. I read Clapton's autobiography recently where he mentioned a lot of the blues artists who influenced him, but unfortunately the book was from the library so I don't have that motherfucker handy. I remember him mentioning dudes like B B King and Howlin' Wolf though.

Anybody here well versed in blues music? What do I need to hear?

Shogah 10-24-2010 12:45 PM

Check out the documentary film Blues: The Godfathers and Sons. It's a great movie about history of blues and how it influenced the whole modern music of western civilization. It's narrated by Chuck-D.

djskillz 10-24-2010 01:02 PM

Check out Robert Johnson. Legend tells it that he sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads for his talent. Check out Muddy Waters too.

Art Vandelay 10-24-2010 01:22 PM

RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough are my shit. there's a great documentary called "You See Me Laughin'." It's about a couple of young white guys that who started Fat Possum Records. They tracked down all the best old blues players from around Mississippi and got them to record their music which they had never done before. These guys went from basically playing in tiny bars for little or no money most of their lives to going on tour in their later years.

A couple of the guys in this documentary you'll recognize in the bar scene in Black Snake Moan.

found it on youtube...

GhostfaceThaPharoahe 11-01-2010 11:26 PM

Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign
Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
Howlin Wolf did an electric blues album that was really good
Check John Lee Hooker too

With the above 4 artists you cant really go wrong with any of their late 50s/early 60s stuff even though it is all quality. I suggest exploring on allmusic to find more that are similar.

Ghost In The 'Lac 11-02-2010 11:54 AM

Didnt OP say 36 chambers "didnt age well" recently?

ahahahahahahaahahah

Go away.

noel411 11-06-2010 04:49 AM

Cheers for the replies. I'll have to check some of this stuff out.

logitrax 01-02-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay (Post 1985430)
RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough are my shit.

I was about to say you MUST check out Junior Kimbrough. He's easily my favorite, and a monster influence on Black Keys, who are a phenomenal blues band (though their newer material branches out into other genres). Junior is as dirty as it gets.

check two 01-21-2011 11:42 PM

These guys aren't bad.