Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan

Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sound Shack (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Miles Davis (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115428)

Fatal Guillotine 04-16-2012 10:53 AM

Miles Davis

Monk
Dexter Gordon
Coltrane
Art Blakely

in your opinion what made Miles Davis a great artist?

discuss

claaa7 04-18-2012 10:05 AM

Miles Davis is my favorite artists of all time together with RZA and KRS-One. i bought all his albums on either vinyl or CD, about 40 albums (some live LPs but most studio LPs), all his studio albums on Columbia Records from "Round About Midnight" to "Get Up With It" + "Bith Of The Cool", "Aura", "Doo Bop" and the brilliant posthomous "Panthalassa" and then on wax i have "You're Under Arrest", "Directions", "In Concert 1973", "We Want Miles", the rare "Facets" compilation. i also have the classic Cannonball Adderley 1958 album "Something Else" that although it's labeled a Cannonball album which is the only time Miles acted a a sideman and plays lead trumpet on all tracks. that's a must for any Miles fan. and these albums are all good but the vajost majority are actually GREAT!

i first got into Miles through "Kind Of Blue", "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew" and was absolutely blown away. from there i almost became obsessed and started buying all his records, starting with all the fusion records since that was that i could relate to most given my former musical background but then after that i started with the others and found they were almost as good just completely different.

but to answer your question why Miles is one of the greatest musicians to ever walk the earth (and i'm writing an essay on Miles at the moment). he was the greatest for several reasons - he was very aware of music theory and notes and all that unlike many other jazz musicians. just like Cilvaringz (:P) he left his home and without a plan and just his trumpet he got a one way ticked to NYC to look for and play with his idols and biggest inspirations Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie; the undisputed kings of Be-Bop. Charlie Parker took him under his wing and learned him a lot; even making him a member of the C.P. working band with other legends like Max Roach and in 1945 he first entered a studio and recorded now classics like "Now is the Time", "Koko" and "Billie's Bounce". but Be Bop was all about extreme vituosity and fast playing, often in the higher register and Miles who heard music in the lower and middle register had a hard time keeping up. he was a very fast learner though.

then in 1949 he and 9 other musicians (including arranger Gil Evans) formed what would become the "Bith Of The Cool Band" or "The Miles Davis Nonet". they played a much smoother jazz, in a big band setting where his skill on the trumpet came more to its right as he now could play in the midle register of the trumpet. after one famous concert and a deal with Capitol that required the nonet to cut 12 songs that would be released over time.. these singles were eventually collected as "The Birth Of The Cool" (named by the label). Miles quickly moved away from this style bc he was like been there done that, but he pioneered the entire cool jazz / west coast jazz style that became popular during the first half of the '50s. that was the first time showing what a true innovator he was.

continued in my next post...

claaa7 04-18-2012 10:21 AM

Miles was a musician that was at the forefront of several musical styles of jazz that would become very popular after he had introduced or at least helped pioneered many styles that would become staples in the jazz canon.

in the first half of the 1950s he became one of the pioneers of Hard Bop with his quintet featuring John Coltrane (originally Sam Rivers), Red Garland, Philly Joe Jones and Paul Chambers. in a marathon session this group recorded four albums for Prestige in like two or three sessions and these are considered classics today. Miles was constantly becoming one of the most innovative trumpet players; there's not a single trumpet player that's not directly influenced by Davis, from Freddie Hubbard to Wynton Marsalis and many others whether they like to admit it or not.

Coltrane left the group for some years and joined Thelonious Monk, developing his style but after two years he returned to Davis quintet and that's when all five of themm were straight up incredible - the first great quintet. a couple years later Cannonball Adderley was added to the mix, making it a sextant, recording classics like "Milestones", "Kind Of Blue", the "'58 Sessions" compilation and countless live recordings. the chemistry between these three hornmen was out of this world, i don't think there ever been a group that had such great blowers in one band as Cannonabll, Trane and Miles.

when this disolved, Miles was trying out some new groups but still recorded some near classic albums ("Someday My Prince Will Come" and "Seven Steps to Heaven") but it was a searching period. but then he found his second great quintet which was absolute perfect - Miles, Hancock, Carter, Shorter and Tony Williams. these group held up for a very long time by Miles standards, four almost five years and all their albums are classics. they were rooted in Hard Bop but no other jazz group at the time played anything like them at the time, they mixed a lot of styles. almost fusion before there were fusion and Miles was a fantastic leader both in the studio and live.

then you gotta realize that pretty much EVERYBODY who played as a sideman in Davis groups, soon after became leaders for their own succesfull band and everyone who worked with him will tell you about his extreme charisma and how he got the most out of all his players. he also had a fantasitc ear to instinctively know what musicians would sound amazing together and it pretty much never went wrong. he knew it even before they auditioned.... there's so many cool interviews abou this.

continued soon.

claaa7 04-18-2012 10:30 AM

i haven't even mentioned the marvelous Gil Evans collaborations but 1968 he was one of the guys who pioneered the whole fusion movement that spread like wildfire after his super original "Filles de Kilimanjaro", "In a Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew" which made him a superstar. this music is so incredible and Miles was so great bc he knew which musicians would sound amazing together even if he never heard them play together.

he also started hearing music in the higher register which made his trumpet playing even greater. just listen to his playing on "Jack Johnson" and "Live-Evil" for instance, that's some of his best playing ever imo. and despite the criticism he didn't give a fuck but made jazz with heavy influnces from other black music like blues, R&B, funk and Hendrix like rock. his live concerts from this time is absolutely amazing too, Q Magazine even placed his "Dark Magus" 1974 performance 2xLP as one of the Hardest albums ever recorded. then you got "On the Corner" which was sooooo ahead of its time, its pretty much the first drum n bass album ever recorded.

last but not least i want to mention "Doo Bop", he was very impresse with hip-hop music so it was incredible how he got Easy Mo Bee to produce the entire album and his playing on there is just as good as ever. that's a great instrumental hip-hop/jazz album. and some of the live concerts from 1969/early 1970 is almost avant-garde so he basically did it all succesfully plus he was a larger than life character.

hahahha this is probably the longest post i ever wrote on Wu Corp so i hope someone will read it :P

LORD NOSE 04-20-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatal Guillotine (Post 2213093)

in your opinion what made Miles Davis a great artist?

discuss

his attitude

Drunken Monk 04-20-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claaa7 (Post 2214102)
Miles Davis is my favorite artists of all time together with RZA and KRS-One. i bought all his albums on either vinyl or CD, about 40 albums (some live LPs but most studio LPs), all his studio albums on Columbia Records from "Round About Midnight" to "Get Up With It" + "Bith Of The Cool", "Aura", "Doo Bop" and the brilliant posthomous "Panthalassa" and then on wax i have "You're Under Arrest", "Directions", "In Concert 1973", "We Want Miles", the rare "Facets" compilation. i also have the classic Cannonball Adderley 1958 album "Something Else" that although it's labeled a Cannonball album which is the only time Miles acted a a sideman and plays lead trumpet on all tracks. that's a must for any Miles fan. and these albums are all good but the vajost majority are actually GREAT!

i first got into Miles through "Kind Of Blue", "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew" and was absolutely blown away. from there i almost became obsessed and started buying all his records, starting with all the fusion records since that was that i could relate to most given my former musical background but then after that i started with the others and found they were almost as good just completely different.

but to answer your question why Miles is one of the greatest musicians to ever walk the earth (and i'm writing an essay on Miles at the moment). he was the greatest for several reasons - he was very aware of music theory and notes and all that unlike many other jazz musicians. just like Cilvaringz (:P) he left his home and without a plan and just his trumpet he got a one way ticked to NYC to look for and play with his idols and biggest inspirations Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie; the undisputed kings of Be-Bop. Charlie Parker took him under his wing and learned him a lot; even making him a member of the C.P. working band with other legends like Max Roach and in 1945 he first entered a studio and recorded now classics like "Now is the Time", "Koko" and "Billie's Bounce". but Be Bop was all about extreme vituosity and fast playing, often in the higher register and Miles who heard music in the lower and middle register had a hard time keeping up. he was a very fast learner though.

then in 1949 he and 9 other musicians (including arranger Gil Evans) formed what would become the "Bith Of The Cool Band" or "The Miles Davis Nonet". they played a much smoother jazz, in a big band setting where his skill on the trumpet came more to its right as he now could play in the midle register of the trumpet. after one famous concert and a deal with Capitol that required the nonet to cut 12 songs that would be released over time.. these singles were eventually collected as "The Birth Of The Cool" (named by the label). Miles quickly moved away from this style bc he was like been there done that, but he pioneered the entire cool jazz / west coast jazz style that became popular during the first half of the '50s. that was the first time showing what a true innovator he was.

continued in my next post...

repped

JASPER BEARDLY 04-20-2012 04:06 PM

damn claaa showed love to miles with those posts

i need to listen to more of his work

Fatal Guillotine 04-21-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS (Post 2215182)
his attitude

charismatic

daffy duck 05-01-2012 02:06 PM

A lot of bands are influenced by jazz musicians like Miles Davis, especially experimental rock bands like Radiohead, post-rock bands, post-hardcore bands, and several others. I don't think some of my favorite bands (Sonic Youth, Pavement, etc.) who are mostly influenced by punk music would exist (or be as good) without these legendary jazz musicians. Stephen Malkmus of Pavement even said John Coltrane and Andrew Hill were some of his influences. Jazz played a huge part in all of music.

daffy duck 05-01-2012 02:13 PM

No one mentioned Charles Mingus? Honestly he's my favorite jazz musician of all time.

JASPER BEARDLY 05-01-2012 03:01 PM

Its a miles thread....

daffy duck 05-01-2012 04:07 PM

I don't know I saw a list of jazz musicians so I was under the presumption that this was going to be a jazz thread with no mention of Charles Mingus and I just wanted to give my man a shout out. Miles Davis is still cool though and Bitches Brew is an unbelievable album.

THE MASON 05-01-2012 05:10 PM

lol the thread title is Miles Davis

anways, claaa7 already mentioned a large portion of why Miles is so highly recognized as a the greatest jazz musician, if not musician of all time. its hard to make every album unique and memorable but imo Miles Davis made each album a different experience for the listener but never lacked quality of sound

JASPER BEARDLY 05-01-2012 05:33 PM

What are ppls fav albums by him?

daffy duck 05-01-2012 09:42 PM

Bitches Brew