Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan

Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sound Shack (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Where to start with Soul? (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117765)

Shadow Demon 08-03-2012 12:46 AM

Where to start with Soul?

I've listened to stuff here and there i.e. Curtis Mayfield but not versed in it,

This PR track really resounded with me, with its warm bassline and sharp drums and i know hip hop is intertwined yet distinct from Soul, but i was wondering if there were any Soul artists with sounds akin to this.

I know it samples Curtis Mayfield but I mean the beat.

JASPER BEARDLY 08-03-2012 03:18 AM

infinite vagina 08-03-2012 07:44 AM

Al Green
Marvin Gaye
Otis Redding

PANDA PISS 08-03-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon (Post 2252702)

I know it samples Curtis Mayfield but I mean the beat.

lol soul music sounds like soul music and pete rock sounds like pete rock.

but anyway a few good soul artists not mentioned:

donny hathaway
Syl Johnson
Isaac Hayes

TheFunkyDrummer 08-03-2012 10:33 AM

Sam Cooke hasn't been mentioned yet??

And definitely Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Bobby Womack, Jackie Wilson, Al Green, Luther Vandross, Smokey Robinson, Donny Hathaway (sampled many times in classics), Luther Ingram (sampled by Madlib and Dilla), James Brown (what would hiphop be without him?), Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Otis protege Arthur Conley (extremely underrated, his voice is simply amazing check out Sweet Soul Music)

I see Curtis Mayfield got mentioned. Believe me the best Curtis, is Curtis with The Impressions the legendary soul group. Most people seem to like Curtis as a solo artist more but his vocal range was simply brilliant when he was with The Impressions, it was actually pretty close to Sam's. Listen to Gypsy Woman by The Impressions and you'll get what I mean but fuck that corny Watch The Throne shit, they disrespected a legend like Otis putting cars and shit like that in their clip and using his voice.

Also Marvin Gaye's best album is Here, My Dear, it's better than What's Going On :)

Shadow Demon 08-03-2012 11:37 AM

thanks guys!!

kurupt_kw 08-03-2012 03:40 PM

I asked the same question a couple of years ago and someone got me onto Bill Withers. My two favorites would be Use Me and Who is he? Great artist.

I keep thinking I should find that thread and pos rep whoever introduced me to Bill.

Unfortunately I never did dig too deep into old soul which is a shame since there's a lot of good music I'm missing out on.

kurupt_kw 08-03-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE GENIUS (Post 2252790)
Nina Simone

I really like that funkier than a mosquito's tweeter song. I love how they add the instruments througout.

laolu 08-03-2012 08:31 PM

Go to a record store...

THE MASON 08-03-2012 10:20 PM

^lol that was my first thought

O' Jays
Diana Ross
Temptations
Smokey Robinson
Bill Withers
Delfonics
Marvelletes

shit the list doesnt end, put in some leg work and hit a record store, dig around the crates, and find some.