Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan

Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Box Office Hideout (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Color of Change urges Fox to cancel Cops (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121387)

netscape check two 03-20-2013 10:08 PM

Color of Change urges Fox to cancel Cops

Have they actually watched Cops before?

__________________________________________________ __________

The civil rights group ColorOfChange would like to see Cops put behind bars.

ColorOfChange has asked Fox not to renew its unscripted law-enforcement show and is calling upon advertisers to withdraw support, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively. On Wednesday morning, the group is sending supporters an email in which it asks them to sign a petition to that effect.

"Although marketed as unbiased, Cops actually offers a highly filtered version of crime and the criminal justice system — a 'reality' where the police are always competent, crime-solving heroes and where the bad boys always get caught," the email reads in part. It goes on to charge Cops and shows like it with over-representing whites as police officers and under-representing minorities as authority figures. According to ColorOfChange, Cops glosses over issues such as police misconduct and broadcasts "dehumanizing portrayals" of suspects.

"We're sending the message to Fox and to advertisers that Cops is not worth saving," says Rashad Robinson, executive director of ColorOfChange.

A Fox rep tells THR the network has not made a decision on Cops and said it would not comment on the petition.

Cops, now in its 25th season, has long delivered strong ratings for the network at a relatively low cost. However, Fox cut back its order for Cops from 22 episodes last season to 16 this season in favor of beefing up its sports programming on Saturday nights, which is when Cops airs.

In its criticism of Cops, ColorOfChange points to research it says media representations such as those on Cops can lead to stigmatization of black men.

"Against the real-world backdrop of an American culture that views young men like Trayvon Martin and Jordan Russell Davis with suspicion," the email continues, "the stakes couldn't be higher."

In January, ColorOfChange launched a similar campaign against a reality special in development at Oxygen, which centered on a rapper who has 11 children with 10 different women. Its petition attracted more than 40,000 signatures and Oxygen eventually shelved the project, which was called All My Babies’ Mamas.

Cops' one-hour season finale airs May 4 at 8 p.m. on Fox.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/civil-right...sugc_container

diggy 03-20-2013 10:58 PM

Decades late.

From its' beginning, it was always biased.

netscape check two 03-21-2013 12:27 AM

Biased against trailer park trash?

100pr00f 03-21-2013 11:40 AM

say what? I see nothing but White junkies getting arrested on the show more than anything lol ...sounds like someone is just trying to get there name out and let every one know who they are ...but its a fail...to bad they never watched cops lol...not that i care

beautifulrock 03-21-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by check two (Post 2313080)
Biased against trailer park trash?

I think that's the point exactly, if you actually bothered to read the article.

What it's essentially saying is that all criminals are either minorities or white trash, and all the authority figures are competent, which clearly isn't the case. The show is glossed over, and it's completely unrealistic and has no place on television. Never did.

Dr. Simon Hurt 03-21-2013 06:26 PM

the cops on 'COPS' look competent? Which ones are you guys watching? They look like agressive, reactionary on imbeciles on alot of ones I've seen, but maybe I'm biased.

I've seen a lot of gross redneck mountain cracker trash on cops and alot of black and hispanic officers; this seems late and silly.

what would really make COPS great is if they showed what the perps were actually convicted of, if their case was thrown out, etc

what if all the energy directed against media by these civil rights groups was put into renovating schools and building libraries, rec centers, parks and shit like that? people living in third world conditions in 2013 america is more of a civil rights issue than a tv show.