Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan

Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hip-Hop Shop (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hip-hop Is Not Dead (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20321)

Urban_Journalz 06-02-2006 10:27 PM

Hip-hop Is Not Dead

Peace,
I've been seeing a few posts around asking, "Who thinks Hip-Hop is dying?" I have to say, a few years back, I did think this was true. Looking at it from a more realistic scale though, it's the furthest thing from the truth.

With the current slew of emcees, Immortal Technique, Aesop Rock, Hangar 18, Papoose, making true hip-hop music all day and night, Hip-Hop is actually at one of it's strongest points.
What pisses us off is, and rightfully so, is that the turely talented emcees and producers don't get enough recognition and respect.

Now, while that's distrubing, doesn't it feel good to be among the very few who actually KNOW who Killah Priest is?? Or who crack a smile when we hear that famous delivery, "2 years ago....a friend of mine..."?? To know how girfted a cat like Madlib is or to clown DJ Kay Slay because we know Rob Swift could serve him any day. Wether it be battlin' or production, seems to be a bit more thrilling in the grand scheme of things.

The Few, The Proud, The True. That's what the REAL HIP-HOP NATION is at this point. Sure, at this stage in history, we are the underdogs, but have you noticed that being the underdog is what makes our music so damn indestructable??

I still haven't hear Bronze Nazareth's album, but I trust the word of my fellow Wu-Bangas when they say this is a blast from the past. Now, although we KNOW Bronze's songs will never be played on the radio, it's still orgasmic to have someone ask, as you play it, or recite the lyrics, and as you tell them, "Bronze Nazareth. Wu-Fam". They look at you like.....|( Yet, when they hear it, they not only understand, but they feel like shit for sleeping on artists like that for so long. Meanwhile, you and I were down the whole time because we just love the music and refuse to convert.

It's a war y'all. For now, publicity is on the bullshit, but the bottom line is, none of the mainstream music is classic. You can't play it 8 years down the road and still have it be like, "Damn, I love that shit." WE know how that feels though, and through us, Hip-Hop will never die.

So, those of you who think it's dying, know that it isn't, it's just not getting a lot of airplay. That doesn't mean it's dying. Chances go 'round, and when peopl DO start to listen to the REAL Hip-Hop, we'll have the satisfaction of tellin' them how late they are in what they listen to.

Peace

TAURO 06-02-2006 10:38 PM

Amen to that, although there are some commercial albums that will be remembered fondly down the line e.g Chronic 2001.

Urban_Journalz 06-03-2006 12:31 AM

True indeed, that album had some sick beats on there though.
As an aspiring DJ, I have an ear for a good beat even if the lyrics are so-so. The original Chronic was the illest though.

Bone Collecta 06-03-2006 01:16 AM

how many times must i tell u fools there is no such thing as "real hip hop"

Urban_Journalz 06-03-2006 09:22 AM

That's your opinion, and you're intitled to it. As for mine, don't try to change it, beecause it's a useless effort. There's real, and there's fake in my eyes. So don't waste my time with a petty dispute over the pseudo-philosophy of "every kind of hip-hop being related to every other." That may be true as far as subject matter and consumer audience, but I'M talking about longevity of impact and all around listening value. In which case someone like 50 Cent couldn't come close to KRS-One. That's like the difference between a belt-drive turntable and a direct-drive turntable, one is a rip-off, and one isn't. Simple as that.

Bone Collecta 06-03-2006 10:04 AM

lyrics dont make someone hip hop or not fool. hip hop is not a genre of music stupid its a culture. just because the quality has gone down doesnt mean its dead. have you looked on tv? it shows that the culture is bigger than ever there are so many hip hop related shows that are popular, so how can you say hip hop is dead?

how the fuck is music fake? there is no such thing as making fake music. 50 cent may not be as lyrical as KRS but he lives the hip hop lifestyle just as much as KRS does.

btw if u base everything on what KRS says then ur an idiot he is a big hypocrit and acts like he invented the shit.

TUCO 06-03-2006 10:07 AM

its useless Bone Collecta....they never gon' learn

venex 06-03-2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone Collecta
how many times must i tell u fools there is no such thing as "real hip hop"

9:|6

snapple 06-03-2006 10:33 AM

some people just aren't hiphop and don't get it, cause of that they like to say it's dead and treat it like it's dissposable, fuck em who cares they look like morons when they preach about hiphop being dead, those kids 99 percent of the time don't know shit.

Hayabusa 06-03-2006 11:43 AM

Well me personally I see rap as rhythmn and poetry and thats what it stands for to me. I like rappers that spit poetry like Common and Mos Def but I got no problem with the snap hip popers like Young Joc that like to make party music because everyone can't be a poet on the mike and if everyone tried to be it would be borning and offer no diversity in the game. Me personally I like all the sub groups of hip hop like rap, miami bass, west coast, hip pop/snap, and etc. I think all hip hop is real hip hop but I like some types better like rap. Peps need to realize that there are a lot of sub generes and hip hop and its not all the same...Thats just my two cents though...

THE W 06-03-2006 03:29 PM

cant be dead when its all over the place. isnt hiphop the largest grossing musical genre right now?

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah 06-03-2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone Collecta
how the fuck is music fake? there is no such thing as making fake music.

that is true but at the same time when you have acts that are just trying to cash in on what's popular and don't put any creativity into it what would u call that?

THE W 06-03-2006 03:41 PM

my issue with hiphop is the creativity but there isnt much you can do about it. you got millions of rap artists/groups out there and maybe 10 of them really pushing the envolope while the rest are just biting formulas to make it big.

it was more creative back then simply cuz everyone and their momma wasnt trying to be a rap star.

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah 06-03-2006 03:43 PM

^& that's what people mean when they say hip hop is dead. not the culture, the culture is a big time broadway ho right now. the SPIRIT is dead.

THE W 06-03-2006 03:51 PM

yes the creative spirit of hiphop certainly met its demise some years ago. which is why you're seeing a lot of these music trends/phases in rap. 1 person makes something new and fresh and 10,000 other artists bite it.