Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan

Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Album reviews (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Eminem - Relapse (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76772)

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS 05-17-2009 09:32 PM

Eminem - Relapse

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg
01. Dr. West (Intro)
02. 3 A.M.
03. My Mom
04. Insane
05. Bangpipes From Bagdadh
06. Hello
07. Tonya (Skit)
08. Same Song & Dance
09. We Made You
10. Medicine Ball
11. Paul (Skit)
12. Stay Wide Awake
13. Old Time's Sake [ft. Dr. Dre]
14. Must Be The Ganja
15. Mr. Mathers (Skit)
16. Deja Vu
17. Beautiful
18. Crack A Bottle [ft. Dr. Dre & 50 Cent]
19. Steve Berrman (Skit)
20. Underground

REVIEW:
Ever since “Slim Shady” came out back in late 98 with the “Slim Shady LP” and followed it up with the immensely popular “Marshall Mathers LP” and it’s two subsequent follow ups “The Eminem Show” and ‘Encore” haven’t been critical success yet they’ve been successes none the less. But with a 5 year layoff to get things right in his personal life, Eminem has “Relapse” back in the public eye. For the most part the sinister alter ego of Eminem ‘Slim Shady” is all over the album and this album from the outset is much unified and very sinister all at the same time.

From the jump Em sparks it with the darkest 1st track since “The Marhsall Mathers LP” with “3AM” is also the horror flick musically you’ve come to expect from Eminem. And then he turns his attention to his mom and yes his mom is the subject of another track which is almost like another rehashed material but if you listen to it carefully “My Mom” is cold, comically dark and sinister all at the same time. If you thought the boom had been lowered with “We Made You” and “Crack a Bottle” as the typical Eminem singles released to draw those fans who wouldn’t normally listen to him, thinking it’s all humorous and sarcastic material is dead wrong. Em has based his career on lyrical prowess and on the end of the album he really show’s he hasn’t lost a step.

I think the real problem with this album is the expectations that fans had for this album and as a fan I feel a letdown because you wanted Em to come as hard as he did on some his previous work yet he came as hard if not a little harder than he did on “Encore”. Overall “Relaspe” is dope but it’s steps seem tic tac toe-ish because it’s dark, humorious yet still has a bit of lameness such like “we made you” which goes from funny the 1st few times to lame as hell. But the gems on this album outweigh the flaws somewhat. I’m going to give this album a 3 out of 5 because it’s takes too long to warm back up to Shady’s clutches.

Dr Sleepwalker 05-19-2009 05:54 PM

album gave me a headache

UncontrolledSubstans 05-21-2009 03:30 AM

Great album. 8/10

Blood Btz 05-21-2009 08:19 AM

I think this is third best album by Eminem. Tracks like "My Mom", "3 AM", "Beautiful" or "Crack a bottle" are fantastic. 9/10.

claaa7 05-21-2009 08:44 AM

4/5 - fair and square, it's a bit too long but Em spits some really raw shit and he's still one of the best on the mic and this album proves it. i don't even notice the accent thing at all anymore but sometimes he gets a little over the top + the album is a 10+ minutes to long. Productionwise it's dope and really suits Em's style, Dre did a good job and the whole thing sounds very "big" although it's far from his best work.

for those that actually bought the album (like me) then y'all know why it ain't no Proof tribute on it and won't appear on "Relapse II" neither.

mantis_fist 05-21-2009 10:29 PM

Word My mom is the shit! Listen to that beat! Nuff Said.

whitey 05-22-2009 01:33 AM

the fullest 9/10 i can give.

real good imo.

beats are all dope. i like every song. 3am, my mom, medicine ball, deja vu, beautiful, bagpipes for Baghdad, crack a bottle, and hello are all bangers. the others are atleast good. insane is the only track i consider just under good because the subject matter and rhymes are a bit to simplistic; although the part about the chainsaw is sick.

album is one of the best rap albums to come out in a while. em gives a complete album in 09 that we havent seen in some time by anyone. 1 solid album, instead of a bunch of different sounding songs with tons of guest spots about the same shit every other rapper raps about.

EnD 05-22-2009 10:40 AM

Finally got the CD and after the first listen, I think this is a great album. Yes, after all the hate I like it. Beats, lyrics, the story...everything works. Can't wait for Relapse 2.

But HOLY FUCKING SHIT how crazy My Darling is. Just...damn.

SL33 05-22-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tha Play (Post 1580720)
But HOLY FUCKING SHIT how crazy My Darling is. Just...damn.

co sign. constant rotation....

djskillz 05-23-2009 12:00 PM

Just downloaded it. Only on track 7 so far but it's dope. My Mom was a bit over the top for me but other than that so far it's great. Full review to come after I hear the whole thing.

villainousface 06-01-2009 11:02 PM

Great record. 9.5/10

tekunique 06-10-2009 02:42 PM

soon as my flow starts, i compose art like the ghost of mozart...

GoldynChyld 06-11-2009 05:38 AM

7/10

RynMur 06-17-2009 12:55 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I slept on this album. I put it to the side after hearing the singles, but now I see how they fall into place with the album. Dre is at his best on the boards and em's dark lyrical style goes back to the slim shady lp (still wish he'd lose that whiny voice). Anyways I have this in my top 10 of 09 albums.

Top 5: 3am, Same Song & Dance, Stay Wide Awake, Beautiful, Underground (fav)

Grade: (4.3/5) A-

Fright 06-17-2009 02:14 AM

not only of 09 for me