Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan

Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sound Shack (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Recommend me reggae albums (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95899)

spiggity_ace 05-27-2010 10:12 PM

Recommend me reggae albums

yo recommend me some of the tightest reggae albums, i slept on this genre long enuff, im talkin shit from burning spear, black uhuru, barrington levy, jr reid and of course the great bob marley, i heard his sons make dope albums too like stephens album was hot as fuck n u already know bout damian, post em up

BoogieManMusic 05-29-2010 11:06 AM

I don`t listen to much reggae, but theres this dub band I really like called Fat Freddy`s Drop and they got some pretty good reggae sounding tunes. All three of their albums are sweet, here are some gems:

Not all their shit is reggae, they play jazz, soul, etc.

Prolifical ENG 05-29-2010 04:34 PM

This is your homework. I will cut it to 10 albums so I will exclude the Bob Marley albums and keep it one album per artist.

Black Uhuru - Red
Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse
John Holt - Police in Helicopter
Max Romeo - War ina Babylon
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Lee Perry - Super Ape
Sizzla - Black Woman & Child
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
Wailing Souls - Firehouse Rock

spiggity_ace 05-29-2010 04:46 PM

k ill let u know when i dl these, i feel horrible dlin albums from marley n peter tosh

spiggity_ace 05-29-2010 06:10 PM

k i got all these albums im lsitenin to them as we speak, is their more i should get from marley besides burnin, uprising, exodus, natty dread? i downloaded legend as well but i basically had most of the songs already.

Prolifical ENG 05-29-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasjit (Post 1903133)
k i got all these albums im lsitenin to them as we speak, is their more i should get from marley besides burnin, uprising, exodus, natty dread? i downloaded legend as well but i basically had most of the songs already.

Those 4 are good. If you want more Marley look for Rasta Revolution and Soul Rebels, perhaps.

Also if you like Reggae singers, Beres Hammond is a good option. Its hard to point to one album by him, either his self titled album or Love Has No Boundaries.

spiggity_ace 05-29-2010 07:36 PM

alrite alrite, wut about junior reid and barrington levy, u know good stuff from them i really liked levys voice n junior cuz of the wu connections n such i wanna hear anyways im lovin the peter tosh album, and that bunny wailer was sick

Ghost In The 'Lac 05-29-2010 07:46 PM

levy is a must

but what abouat more modern danchall like, mr vegas, beenie man, buju? these dudes legends

even sean paul used to rip it before he blew in usa

and my personal fav LADY SAW!!!

might have to sig that track actually

Prolifical ENG 05-29-2010 07:55 PM

I think Red is my #1 fav reggae album. You're going quick!

For those others.....

Junior Reid - Boom Shack-A-Lack
Levy - Too Experienced

I dont know if you want other than the classic 70s-80s stuff...I put up a Sizzla album. Buju banton - Till Shiloh is also a must and thats mid 90s. Can add Chaka Demus and Ini Kamoze.

spiggity_ace 05-29-2010 08:44 PM

oh im not listenin in order, i was just listenni to diff albums, im down with all diff sounds, im likin the old 70s vibe tho but i like beanie man, i heard that one song a while ago called bossman and lady saw was on it too, i like the sound of the sizzla album as well, still gotta listn to the other albums, ive herd a couple buju sogns, his voice is raw, tracks like murderer are dope

spiggity_ace 06-01-2010 06:10 PM

yo prolific i would rep u if i could, these albums are intense

i duno which i would call my fav, besides the bob marley ones, i really loved the sizzla, i cant stop playin the give them a ride remix, wailing souls album really surprised me i really raelly like it, max romeo is dope, and i love gregory isaacs album, john holts was standout as well, and i loved red, peter toshes was fire, thats one of my favs as with bunny wailer and burning spear, did u notice that, i also got the junior reid album and it was crazy, i still gotta get through levys joint, and i dld stephen marleys album mind control and it blew me away, i honeslty wasnt expecting much

did u notice lee perrys croaking lizard is the same instrumental as max romeos i chased the devil

Prolifical ENG 06-01-2010 07:03 PM

You cant rep yet? I can give you your silver.

That Black Woman and Child one is indeed a standout. Thats why I added that to the list of 10 even though it came out 15-20 years after the other classics.

I think thats all you need for recommendations and you should just branch out from there. However I looked through my collection and I left out some REALLY important ones:

Jimmy Cliff - The Harder They Come
Tenor Saw - Fever
Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile
Satta Massagana - The Abyssinians
The Congos - heart of the Congos
Keith Hudson - Rasta Communication
Toots & the Maytals - Funky Kingston

and for Berrington Levy, get the Robin Hood album instead.

spiggity_ace 06-01-2010 07:09 PM

ah shit thanks man, i repped u alright ill check the next few u listed, what did u think of the stephen marley album?

oh and how are beanie man and buju banton and bounty killers albums

Prolifical ENG 06-01-2010 07:28 PM

I never heard Stephen Marley's stuff...only Damian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasjit (Post 1904759)
oh and how are beanie man and buju banton and bounty killers albums

Those are different. They are more dancehall than roots. Many Moods of Moses, Til Shiloh, and My Xperience are my favourite albums from each of those artists.

spiggity_ace 06-01-2010 08:22 PM

you should check out mind control, its a great album, if im not mistaken it won the best reggae album grammy in 07 as well.