View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #232
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

dusted off this release yesterday and bumped it through once yesterday and then another time today with some added bonus tracks from original sessions that didn't make the final cut sprinkled in the mix ("Charlie Brown", replaced "Barbershop" with the original full length version - love the 2nd verse and hook, don't know why the fuck he would cut that out, "Chunky" and "Murda Goons" - all dope songs that would have benefited the album even more).

this album still bangs heavy, lyrically Ghost is true to form here, great storytelling on joints like 'Barbershop', 'Underwater', 'Whip You With A Strap', 'Beauty Jackson' and the obvious 'Shakey Dog'. the way he flexes his lyrical muscles on 'The Champ' is just ridiciolus; "I'm James Bond in the octagon with 2 razors" or "My arts is crafty darts while you stuck with 'Laffy Taffy' wondering how did y'all niggaz get pass me/ i've been doing this before NaS dropped the nasty!!" - ILLLLLL!!
the drug-theme and coca shit is heavy on this album too (hence the name, lol) and is probably Tony's most drugged out effort yet, wheter it's breaking down the game with Raekwon on the heavy but minimalistic 'Kilo' (some people complaining about this one but i've always liked it) or intimite drug stories about overdoses and undercovers on the soulful 'Crack Spot' (another joint that don't get enough praise).

the main problem with the album is that there is so many styles pushed into the 65 minutes and Tony rips all types of beats, from the weirdest MF DOOM beats, to heavy Pete Rock production to traditional R&B-flavoured jams like 'Momma' and 'Back Like That'. while it's all over the place it still can be looked at as Ghost showing off his diversity and it really ain't that much to complain about imo. some parts of the album could definitely have been EQ'd and mixed better though; for example the Clan cut sounds (as most of y'all already mentioned) very cut-and-paste except for Ghost, Rae's and Cappa's verses so half of the song seems kinda wasted despite the, in my opinion, extremely dope beat. "Jellyfish" is another throwaway and "Three Bricks" should have been placed on the Biggie Duets album rather than here. Still a very solid effort from Tony Starks and for some reason very overlooked on Wu-Tangs own site while every other publiciations praised the shit out of it, lol. Without a doubt one of the 10 best Wu-Tang albums between 2000-2009 as of yet.

4/5

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote