View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

lol @ rolling stones calling kanye a genius for sampling daft punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakobR View Post
I must admit the word genius is thrown around too freely these days. Kanye West is an interessting personality and an important figure for hip hop. But to be censidered a genius, you must at least come up with your own melodies instead of just sampling. RZAs beats contains samples as well but he makes the samples into melodies of his own.

I havn't really liked a lot of his music since his last solo album but you have to be a fool not to regocnize he pushes the boundaries of what you expect of a hip hop album. Musically MDTBF is one of the best projects the last 10 years. I just wish it beat for beat was more coherent.
I find MBDTF to be extremely overrated. Kanye had one good album imo and that's College Dropout. Some find his second album to be good as well but personally I disagree. It wasn't his raps but he had beats on that album that were very good like All Falls Down. Nowadays it's just random trash with no skill at all. Not only were the guestappearances horrible, the beats on Dark Twisted are just bad. He turned down Madlib beats but can you blame him when the only thing on his mind is money.

Kanye is not a genius. A genius doesn't copy paste drums from a legend Pete Rock for his own track and makes it sound horrible.