View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
cj wisty
Non Ignorant Math Team

cj wisty five deadly venomscj wisty five deadly venomscj wisty five deadly venomscj wisty five deadly venomscj wisty five deadly venomscj wisty five deadly venomscj wisty five deadly venomscj wisty five deadly venoms

i already knew this but when i saw the OP i wondered why that was and its actually pretty obvious and can b proven simply.

if u write all ur numbers in base x (OP says x=10 which is ofc the most commonly used base) and then use timetables of x-1 (OP says x-1=9) and then write out all the timetables u get

1(x-1)=(x-1) obviously cuz x is the base the digit on the left will b 0 and the digit on the right will b (x-1)

2(x-1)=(2x-2) obviously cuz x is the base the digit on the left will b 1 and the digit on the right will b (x-2)

3(x-1)=(3x-3) obviously cuz x is the base the digit on the left will b 2 and the digit on the right will b (x-3)

4(x-1)=(4x-4) obviously cuz x is the base the digit on the left will b 3 and the digit on the right will b (x-4)

and this can b repeated for all two digit numbers when multiplying a number which is 1 under the base.

so eg if we skip to 7 times 9. so here were saying x=10 and (x-1)=9

and so 7 times 9=7(x-1)=7x-7 which means the left hand digit is 6 and the right hand digit is x-7

so we know the left hand digit is 6 and we now need to find out the right hand digit. right hand digit is (x-7) and substituting (x=10) gives us (10-7) which is 3. so the right hand digit is 3. putting these 2 facts together gives us the number 63.

therefore 7 times 9=63

NON-IGS
cj wisty is offline   Reply With Quote