Thread: Ancient Maths
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
rakimkoolgrapwutang
Yakub's Greatest Mathlete

rakimkoolgrapwutang shaolin monk

good shit. i guess it makes sense that the earliest maths systems would use a binary system because thats the simplest system.

its interesting how different bases connect. the author of alice in wonderland actually left a base problem in the alice in wonderland book

"I'll try if I know all the things
I used to know. Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times
seven is--oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate! However, the Multiplication Table doesn't
signify:"

ive also got a book called "alex's adventures in numberland" and in the book he talks about a culture of people in the amazon who dont have a number system and only have 5 numbers.

they did tests with them and it was very interesting. they showed these people 1 dot on the screen and they got it 100% of the time. the same thing happened with 2 dots. but when there were 3 dots on the screen they only said the right number 80% of the time. when there were 4 dots they got it right 70% of the time. and for 5 dots they only got it right 28% of the time.

it turned out numbers for 3 and above were just rough estimates.

also an interesting thing was when westerners put numbers on a line they do it in a linear fashion. however these people from the amazon put numbers on a line in a logarithmic fashion.

they also did tests on children and in kindergarten/nursery and first grade/P1 the kids put the numbers on the line in a logarithmic fashion. in 2nd grade/P2 the children put numbers on a line in a linear fashion.

also notice how we think of the words millionaire and billionaire in a logarithmic fashion because we use them interchangably even though theres a huge difference between them.

humans must naturally think of numbers logarithmically but we use them in a linear fashion because its more useful in society today.

ATTEMPTING TO COMBINE SUPREME MATHEMATICS WITH BINGO NUMBERS....
rakimkoolgrapwutang is offline   Reply With Quote