Thread: Ancient Maths
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
cj wisty
Non Ignorant Math Team

cj wisty shaolin masta killacj wisty shaolin masta killacj wisty shaolin masta killacj wisty shaolin masta killacj wisty shaolin masta killacj wisty shaolin masta killacj wisty shaolin masta killa

good shit. i guess it makes sense that the earliest maths systems would use a binary system because thats the simplest system.

its interesting how different bases connect. the author of alice in wonderland actually left a base problem in the alice in wonderland book

"I'll try if I know all the things
I used to know. Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times
seven is--oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate! However, the Multiplication Table doesn't
signify:"

ive also got a book called "alex's adventures in numberland" and in the book he talks about a culture of people in the amazon who dont have a number system and only have 5 numbers.

they did tests with them and it was very interesting. they showed these people 1 dot on the screen and they got it 100% of the time. the same thing happened with 2 dots. but when there were 3 dots on the screen they only said the right number 80% of the time. when there were 4 dots they got it right 70% of the time. and for 5 dots they only got it right 28% of the time.

it turned out numbers for 3 and above were just rough estimates.

also an interesting thing was when westerners put numbers on a line they do it in a linear fashion. however these people from the amazon put numbers on a line in a logarithmic fashion.

they also did tests on children and in kindergarten/nursery and first grade/P1 the kids put the numbers on the line in a logarithmic fashion. in 2nd grade/P2 the children put numbers on a line in a linear fashion.

also notice how we think of the words millionaire and billionaire in a logarithmic fashion because we use them interchangably even though theres a huge difference between them.

humans must naturally think of numbers logarithmically but we use them in a linear fashion because its more useful in society today.