View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #319
DRUNKENDRAGON
Veteran Member

DRUNKENDRAGON iron monkeyDRUNKENDRAGON iron monkeyDRUNKENDRAGON iron monkeyDRUNKENDRAGON iron monkeyDRUNKENDRAGON iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by My First Timbs View Post
peace and respect 2 u too

dont get me wrong.. i personally believe that religion was the most beneficial thing that ever happened to homo sapiens.. i dont confuse religion with "god".. to me they are 2 different things.

religion provides so many positive things (almost all positive)

my problem i swith the concept of an invisible supernatural higher power
I'm curious as to why you believe this. Inquisition, Crusades, Holy wars, genocide, child rape, etc. are all negative impacts due to religion. If religion never existed, would we have had holy war? So much destruction exclusive to religion, yet you'd place it above penicillin as the best thing to happen to us? Why?

I agree with you about the concept of god and religion though. it's been a while since my anthropology classes but i think isn't a consensus on the criteria of what constitutes a religion. The belief in a god isn't necessary in some cases.

Edit: I worded myself poorly, I understand that these atrocities can and do still happen absent religion. I'm referring to the ones caused purely by religion.

Last edited by DRUNKENDRAGON; 11-30-2012 at 12:22 PM.
DRUNKENDRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote