Thread: R. Kelly - R.
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
Theres been many great soul artists since the 80's. just say you don't like the sound of post 80's r&b (because thats the only conclusion to be drawn if you only like erykah and d'angelo) rather than try and rewrite history.
I'm sure there have been great artists and there is more than D'Angelo and Erykah Badu, probably even better ones I'm not familiar with. But the mainstream pop/soul/rnb used to be a lot more talented. I liked the instrumentation, it really added something to the vocals of the singer. You will always find some talented artists if you search for it, but I can't listen to Frank Ocean or Weeknd or the R&B you hear nowadays. I can't listen to their singing and repeat it, cause nothing really stands out. Soul music was so passionate and it's beatiful to hear the pain in a singers voice.

Ofcourse all the things I say is opinion. What I meant with funk&disco is that soul/r&b never used the claps they were using in disco music until the 80s started. For example Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing (great track, but definitely different from before) clap. They used that sound a lot. In the 80s you had KC & The Sunshine Band, Genesis, Bee Gees making the disco/funk type of rnb music.