View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

well, many players like to use what i call an "amateur play" by limping in 1st position with aces or kings then checkraising once the play gets back to them. This is an incorrect play for 2 reasons.
1. more people can limp and your stuck in an unraised pot with multiple callers with no information.
2. The play is a dead giveaway.

personal example: I was in a 100k guaranteed online tournament close to the bubble.
1st position limped and i raised 6 times the blind(a huge raise) with queens. the blinds folded and 1st position checkraised me all in. I used up my entire time bank while considering the play.
why would he make the play?
1. he has aces kings or ace king and was trying to trap me
well in this case im either crushed or a 50-50 and i dont want to risk my entire tourny on a coin flip. or
2. he has qq, jj, tt and played the hand poorly, remember most would not play those hands that way, as those hands are easily beaten by a bad flop so most raise right away
3. he has nothing and saw my button raise as a steal attempt. keeping in mind that my raise was huge and not the same size as an average steal on the button.

I came to the conclusion that it was likely he had aces or kings. i folded and just to show off(if i was wrong i was a donkey) showed my queens and he reciprocated by showing his aces. one of a few times i have folded queens preflop, I was congratulated by the entire table, who then proceded to try and steal from me relentlessly. so you see I played it perfectly, but by showing my lay down was labled as supertight and a marked man(this is why you never show) but i still felt great about the play. Most likely folding there earned me 400 dollars as i eventually cashed.

As far as slowplaying hands like aces or kings, save it for the cash games, as individual hands are placed in more importance in the cash games. if you are worried about being deceptive, i would say make your raises as constant as possible, if I raise 4 times the blind every time i raise, nobody will put me on aces and it is possible to trap a reraise. remember if you raise in 1st position with those hands, you are likely to trap your opponent for all their money if you are reraised.

ak and aq - these are the most misplayed hands in all of holdem. people forget that aceking is nothing more that a pretty looking drawing hand. many many amateurs still find it impossible to get away from even when they are facing a raise and a reraise preflop or a flop in which they dont hit. dont fall into this trap. while it is a proper play to raise preflop with these hands, if you find it difficult to get away from,(especially early in a tourny) try playing them slower. this has a twofold effect.
1. It is easier to get away from
2. You are in better position to trap a weaker ace or king.

ace queen is a travesty. worst best hand in hold 'em. more people bust with ace queen in a tournament than any other hand. this is because people find it hard to get away from preflop. my rule of thumb is this..

IF FACED WITH A RAISE AND A RERAISE PREFLOP GET AWAY FROM ACE QUEEN. IT IS VERY VERY LIKELY YOU ARE BEAT OR DOMINATED.

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
beautifulrock is offline   Reply With Quote