View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #32
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity tha God View Post
COPY AND PASTE _

something i learned in school that i thought was interesting.

mp3 audio
mpeg layer 3
motion picture experts group

cd quality- 44.1kHz, 16 bit resolution

a 2 track, stereo interleaved file
x
44.1kHz (or 44100 samples per second)
x
16 bits

itunes offers their mp3's at a rate of 128kbps.

divide the number above by 128kbps ( 128000 bits per second) and you get 11.025. so the mp3 is compressed at a ratio of about 11:1.
for every 11 bits of dynamic range, you are getting 1 bit back.

now do the opposite and divide 128000 by 1411200.
converting that into a percentage, we get about 9%. this is how much is left of the original audio at 128kbps.
so 91% of the audio signal has been removed from the original waveform.
the data is removed permanently, based on priority.
low priority to keep masked frequencies, and frequencies outside of 20Hz-20kHz (the range of human hearing).
highest priority to keep are frequencies from 1kHz- 4kHz (mid range).

this is common knowledge, not the specifics, but the whole point of mp3's was to get rid of all the information that wasnt "essential".

part of why i actually buy music, an mp3 never sounds the same through decent equipment.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote