View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #173
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Chapter 3 : Preflop Reads and Strategy for avoiding pitfalls

PART A : The Squeeze Play

In a tournament, the third raise is almost always Kings or Aces. I routinely fold ace queen or even ace king when faced with a raise and a reraise. In a cash game, however, third raises preflop can mean anything depending on who you are playing with. I'll give you an example:

Player A is a loose player who raises routinely with any holdings. Player B is a player who reads well and is generally tight but aggressive. Player A raises in early position with a low suited connector. Player B recognizes the player is weak and re-raises with an ace rag suited. You are in third position with pocket threes. You know the first hand is probably really weak and player B is using that read to take advantage of the situation. Now its your turn and you make what is known as a "squeeze play". You raise a huge amount and both opponents fold like lightning. Why?
You have just represented a monster hand because of the third raise. They absolutely cannot call because your hand appears to be a dominating one. They have to put you on a hand like aces, kings or ace king all of which have them crushed. Its a neat and tricky play that is absolutely effective when the read is right. I would say it is about 85-90% effective, that is you won't get called but 10-15% of the time. Don't try it too often however as eventually your opponents will catch on and they will call you. Used properly and sparingly, this is one of the best bluff moves in the game.

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans

Last edited by beautifulrock; 05-21-2007 at 10:49 PM.
beautifulrock is offline   Reply With Quote