once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: would you want a new A Tribe Called Quest album?

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    ^ Neptunes on a Tribe album, i ain't with it at all lol... they have to great producers in their three man group, so why would they want to branch out.

has anyone heard Ali Shaheed's solo album btw? is it an instrumental release or is he singing or rapping or what?
    i haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but from what i heard he produced the whole thing, and it features him rhyming & singing

^^I bought it....and didn't like it. If you're looking for a Tribe-like album this isn't it. Sort of like Cherrywine (I think Doodlebug of Digable Planets), people thought it would be like Digable Planet's albums but it wasn't. IMO, Q-Tip has a better ear for music/beats than Ali or Phife.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    It's funny to me too how some people dissed The Love Movement and Beats Rhymes and Life albums. Those albums are good.
    naw, beats rhymes and life is an amazingg record, but love movement was weak. thats shit was too soft and beats rhymes and life sounded more street then any of tribes previous work, for their next album to sound the way it did never made sense to me. honestly i never think of love movement when i think of their catalogue. same with outkast, in my world they only have 3 albums.
    FCK A SHOUT OUT!

Tribe had their day.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Hell yes! Everyone digs a bit of Tribe, right?
    "Read the sign hip-hoppers"

I still think the love movement is VERY hit or miss but the hate that Beats Rhymes and Life got was EXTREMELY uncalled for.

"The Renaissance" was an incredible album.. beats like this woldn't dissapoint me the least in a new Tribe LP:

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by J-DON View Post
    I still think the love movement is VERY hit or miss but the hate that Beats Rhymes and Life got was EXTREMELY uncalled for.
    Yeah The Love Movement was their least good album, but it was still pretty good. If a new group had came up with that album everybody would love it. But you have to compare it to 4 exceptional albums, 2 of them genuine classics. So they're kind of screwed, expectations wise. Regardless all their solo albums get compared to Tribe stuff, so they might as well make a new album. They're not gonna escape forever being remembered as a third of ATCQ.

the question is, who doesnt want a new ATCQ LP?

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    Yeah The Love Movement was their least good album, but it was still pretty good. If a new group had came up with that album everybody would love it. But you have to compare it to 4 exceptional albums, 2 of them genuine classics. So they're kind of screwed, expectations wise. Regardless all their solo albums get compared to Tribe stuff, so they might as well make a new album. They're not gonna escape forever being remembered as a third of ATCQ.
    I didn't really check for Tribe back in the day. The first album I bought was Love Lovement when it first came out and I loved it. It was so different than anything I had ever heard. Those who did know Tribe said it was extremely weird and couldn't understand why I loved it so much. Find a Way is still one of my all time favorites.

I love Beats too man. I didn't realise it received so much hate when it came out. I found this shortly after Love Movement and loved it even more. The Hop, Jam, Keep it Movin, 1nce Again are all smooth as hell to me.

Quote Originally Posted by skeem View Post
    the question is, who doesnt want a new ATCQ LP?
    co sign

Man I dont know how anyone could hate on Beats, Rhymes & Life. I think the lyrics are on point with Midnight Maruaders, it's just that the beats are 'darker.' I enjoy the album more than People's Instinctive