once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raekwon on Shaolin Vs Wu-Tang

Default Raekwon on Shaolin Vs Wu-Tang

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2010/12/13/rae...vs-wu-tang-lp/

Wu-Tang veteran MC Raekwon recently released "Butter Knives," a teaser track for his forthcoming LP, Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang, tentatively slated for March 2011. But donít worry Wu fans, the Chef says heís got plenty coming up in the meantime, including an official single and maybe even collaborations with two of hip-hopís best.

"I canít give you all that information right now," Raekwon said, with a laugh, at rumors spouting that Eminem and Nas may appear on Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang. "You already know, overall itís a very very colorful album, it still has that grittiness of course. But at the same time it has a glossy feel to it and overall people are going to enjoy it."

Though "Butter Knives" hit the web first, the MC says the track was just a warm-up.

"The first one was a frisbee just to get yaíll excited and the next one will be the throw down," Raekwon said. "At the end of the day itíll be great things in a couple of weeks, but I want to keep it under my hat."
    As for the LP, which the MC says that heís already completed, the Chef says itís a mixture of two worlds.

"The Shaolin vs. Wu-tang is a process that Iíve been dealing with for a minute since Only Built 4 Cuban Links... Pt. II," he said. "Itís basically about two schools thatís having a problem with each other right now but theyíre all from the same area, the same land. Shaolin is really the land."

"Itís just me challenging myself, challenging the Wu-Tang style with the Shaolin style," he continued. "Just typical everyday things that go on with the schools, itís a great concept. For everybody that like karate this is definitely titled after that, like that was the one that gave us the vibe, the Shaolin vs. Wu Tang movie. It kinda describes the personalities within the music. I got songs that youíre gonna know automatically have that Wu-Tang feel to it, that seal of approval. Then the Shaolin side, I still have to be innovative and create todayís music too so itís two different challenges that gon' be definitely upgraded on this record."

interesting...gritty with a glossy feel

are the only contributors to the wu-tang side of things bronze and cilvaringz? who else is producing on this?

sounds nice.....nice concept.....im sure thats why ross and lloyd banks will be on this...for the shaolin side
    I'm the Greatest Scientifically Inclined Mind Since Einstein!!!!

PUTYOMONEYWHEREYOMOUTHIZ Tecknowledgist's Avatar

raekwon is gonna be on shaolin vs wu-tang?!

this is great news!

my anticipation for this album just went up

Wait did he say glossy?, GLOSSY? shit some of the wu heads are gonna have seizures now.

"Then the Shaolin side, I still have to be innovative and create today’s music too so it’s two different challenges that gon' be definitely upgraded on this record"

This is why I think he got Scoop DeVille & Kanye West on the production because they fit 'new music' for today's standard. Also why like corky said Rick Ross, Lloyd Banks & Jim Jones will most likely appear on the Shaolin half of the album.

"are the only contributors to the wu-tang side of things bronze and cilvaringz? who else is producing on this?"

Scram Jones
    Kanye West (possibly)
    Pete Rock (possibly)
    Sean C
    Bronze Nazareth
    Cilvaringz
    No I.D.
    Scoop DeVille

IDI_AMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post
    raekwon is gonna be on shaolin vs wu-tang?!

this is great news!

my anticipation for this album just went up
    thats what im talking about god. 2011 wu comes back

the idea of a split album between 'grimey' and 'polished' could fail if its not executed properly..

He's trying to break the news easy that half the album will be glossy (commercial)

Should be interesting to see how he pulls this one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
    "Then the Shaolin side, I still have to be innovative and create todayís music too so itís two different challenges that gon' be definitely upgraded on this record"
    I also had many thoughts while reading this part

In my opinion, you can do it by multiple ways :

-2 parts : Shaolin/Wu
    -1 part : Shaolin. It is what makes the more sense to me. What can be named Wu is mostly dependent on RZA vision(s). And RZA usually don't do revival music (cmwabaaecne). The 'No Repeat' thing seems even to be one of his philosophical principles.
    -perhaps some others options but i don t see what

But in all cases, the opposition must concern the same Era(s). 90's Vs 90's, 00's Vs 00's . If you use beats which try to emulate some of the 90's wu ones you have to emulate 90's beats for the shaolin side. It is how the opposition makes sense.

But if you ask me, the concept main flaw is that the Shaolin School doesn't actually exist. Rae already tried to make non Wu albums but these LPs don t belong to a specific school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
    "Then the Shaolin side, I still have to be innovative and create todayís music too so itís two different challenges that gon' be definitely upgraded on this record"

This is why I think he got Scoop DeVille & Kanye West on the production because they fit 'new music' for today's standard. Also why like corky said Rick Ross, Lloyd Banks & Jim Jones will most likely appear on the Shaolin half of the album.

"are the only contributors to the wu-tang side of things bronze and cilvaringz? who else is producing on this?"

Scram Jones
    Kanye West (possibly)
    Pete Rock (possibly)
    Sean C
    Bronze Nazareth
    Cilvaringz
    No I.D.
    Scoop DeVille
    BT and scram jones on 60% of the beats just watch

Madripoor: 1988 - small island in the southern portion of the Strait of Malacca, s/w of Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    He's trying to break the news easy that half the album will be glossy (commercial)

That's how I'm reading it. Oh well, at least we got Butter Knives.

thats why this idea has to be done carefully..

it could be a real mess and fuck up the smoothness of the album if its not well thought out..

I wonder if he's going to evenly split up the Shaolin/Wu songs on the album like certain halves (36 Chambers had tracks 1-5 as the Shaolin Sword & 6-12 as the Wu-Tang Sword half) or inter-splice the random Wu tracks between the Shaolin side. I bet when he releases a "Shaolin" track from the album, with its possible cleaner production & more commerical guest (Ross, Jim Jones, Banks) that people will hate on it.