once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jazz

Default Jazz

Recently started to get into jazz but most of these musicians have extremely large discographies so I don't know where to start. I would really appreciate it if some one could narrow down the list for me.

This is what I have So Far:
    Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
    Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
    Sun-Ra - Lanquidity

John Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Cecil Taylor - Jazz Advance
    Art Blakey - Moanin
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus
    Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
    Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny
    Kenny Dorham - Matador/Inta Somethin
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    Ornette Coleman - Ornette!
    Albert Ayler - Witches & Devils

edit: If you like Hard Bob, this is a good place to get some info

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=43881
    Last edited by GhostfaceThaPharoahe; 12-28-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Charlie Parker is pretty good.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    Sonny Rollins - tenor Madness
    Ron Carter - The Bass and I
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
    Miles David - Bitches Brew
    Wes Mongomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar

Super Sonic Jazz-Sun Ra

John Coltrane-Giant Steps

Sun-Ra - Lanquidity and Ron Carter was mean shit thanks

depends very much on what type of jazz you're into.. you got the swing shit from the 30's and 40's which isn't really for me but when bebop entered the picture and the music became music for the art of it rather than to make people dance interesting things started happening. there you had guys like Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, early Coltrane.

but it's really the following eras that grabbed me, Hard Bop (and somewhat Cool) and especially Jazz Fusion.

some essential imo are:
    * Miles Davis - "Kind Of Blue"
    * Miles Davis - "Sketches Of Spain"
    * Miles Davis - "In A Silent Way"
    * Miles Davis - "BITCHES BREW" (ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME)
    * Miles Davis - "Tribute to Jack Johnson"
    * Miles Davis - "Live / Evil"
    * Herbie Hancock - "Maiden Voyage"
    * Herbie Hancock - "Headhunters"
    * Herbie Hancock - "Rockit" (single)
    * Modern Jazz Quartet - "Django"
    * M.J.Q. - "Fontessa"
    * M.J.Q. - "Conquessa"
    * Cannonball Adderly - "Somethin' Else"
    * Sun-Ra - "Lanquidity"
    * John Coltrane - "Love Supreme"
    * John Coltrana - "Ballads"
    * Donald Byrd - "Stepping Into Tomorrow"

there's so much more tho, and so much i haven't heard but that's some good albums. also essential for anyone who wanna go from hip-hop to jazz is Madlib's "SHADES OF BLUE" and DJ PETE ROCK - "DIGGIN' ON BLUE".

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    depends very much on what type of jazz you're into.. you got the swing shit from the 30's and 40's which isn't really for me but when bebop entered the picture and the music became music for the art of it rather than to make people dance interesting things started happening. there you had guys like Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, early Coltrane.

but it's really the following eras that grabbed me, Hard Bop (and somewhat Cool) and especially Jazz Fusion.

some essential imo are:
    * Miles Davis - "Kind Of Blue"
    * Miles Davis - "Sketches Of Spain"
    * Miles Davis - "In A Silent Way"
    * Miles Davis - "BITCHES BREW" (ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME)
    * Miles Davis - "Tribute to Jack Johnson"
    * Miles Davis - "Live / Evil"
    * Herbie Hancock - "Maiden Voyage"
    * Herbie Hancock - "Headhunters"
    * Herbie Hancock - "Rockit" (single)
    * Modern Jazz Quartet - "Django"
    * M.J.Q. - "Fontessa"
    * M.J.Q. - "Conquessa"
    * Cannonball Adderly - "Somethin' Else"
    * Sun-Ra - "Lanquidity"
    * John Coltrane - "Love Supreme"
    * John Coltrana - "Ballads"
    * Donald Byrd - "Stepping Into Tomorrow"

there's so much more tho, and so much i haven't heard but that's some good albums. also essential for anyone who wanna go from hip-hop to jazz is Madlib's "SHADES OF BLUE" and DJ PETE ROCK - "DIGGIN' ON BLUE".
    That Advanced Jazz medicine show madlib recently released was actually the reason I finally decided to listen to jazz.

Will D/L loads of these albums.

Anyone know any good dark, moody, smokey (or smoked-out), film noir style jazz? The best I've got so far is this Miles Davis score to the film Elevator to the Gallows and this German band called Bohren & der Club of Gore:

I also like dark vocal jazz like Billie Holiday and some of Cab Calloway's shit:

some of the best old school animation to go along with Calloway.

So yeah, basically instrumental or vocal jazz that is minor key and dark like that. Stuff with that Portishead atmosphere, but actually jazz. I'd also like recommendations for Holiday or Calloway since there are about a billion compilations of their singles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Anyone know any good dark, moody, smokey (or smoked-out), film noir style jazz? The best I've got so far is this Miles Davis score to the film Elevator to the Gallows and this German band called Bohren & der Club of Gore:
    also looking for shit like this

billyanalogue

Default Nuclear Fire : Translator [English-German] : Target- ikke

hängt sehr viel von ab, welcher Art von Jazz you' Re in. Sie erhielten das Schwingen zu scheißen vom 30' s und 40' s das isn' t wirklich für mich aber, als Bebop hereinkam, die Abbildung und die Musik wurde Musik für die Kunst von ihm eher als, Leute das interessante Sachen begonnene Vorkommnis tanzen zu lassen. dort hatten Sie Kerle wie Charlie Parker, Thelonious Mönch, frühes Coltrane. aber it' s wirklich die folgenden Ären, die mich ergriffen, Bop stark (und kühlen Sie ein wenig) ab und besonders Jazz-Schmelzverfahren. irgendein wesentliches IMO sind:
    * Miles Davis - " Art von Blue" * Miles Davis - " Skizzen von Spain"
    * Miles Davis - " In einem leisen Way"
    * Miles Davis - " WEIBCHEN BREW" (EINS MEINER LIEBLINGSalben ALLER ZEIT)
    * Miles Davis - " Tribut zu Jack Johnson" * Miles Davis - " /Leben, Evil" * Herbie Hancock - " ErstVoyage"
    * Herbie Hancock - " Headhunters" * Herbie Hancock - " Rockit" (einzeln)
    * Moderner Jazz-Quartett - " Django" * M.J.Q. - " Fontessa" * M.J.Q. - " Conquessa"
    * Kanonenkugel Adderly - " Somethin' Else" * Sun-Ra - " Lanquidity"
    * John Coltrane - " Liebe Supreme"
    * John Coltrana - " Ballads"
    * Donald Byrd - " Treten in Tomorrow" there' s soviel mehr tho und soviel ich haven' t gehört aber that' s einige gute Alben. auch für jedermann, das von Hip-hop zum Jazz gehen möchten, ist Madlib' wesentlich; s " FARBTÖNE VON BLUE" und FELSEN DJ-PETER - " DIGGIN' AUF BLUE". Dass das vorgerückte vor kurzem freigegebene Jazzmedizin-Erscheinen madlib wirklich der Grund ich schließlich war, entschieden, sich zum Jazz zu hören. Werden Sie D/L Lasten dieser Alben.

Quote Originally Posted by billyanalogue View Post
    hängt sehr viel von ab, welcher Art von Jazz you' Re in. Sie erhielten das Schwingen zu scheißen vom 30' s und 40' s das isn' t wirklich für mich aber, als Bebop hereinkam, die Abbildung und die Musik wurde Musik für die Kunst von ihm eher als, Leute das interessante Sachen begonnene Vorkommnis tanzen zu lassen. dort hatten Sie Kerle wie Charlie Parker, Thelonious Mönch, frühes Coltrane. aber it' s wirklich die folgenden Ären, die mich ergriffen, Bop stark (und kühlen Sie ein wenig) ab und besonders Jazz-Schmelzverfahren. irgendein wesentliches IMO sind:
    * Miles Davis - " Art von Blue" * Miles Davis - " Skizzen von Spain"
    * Miles Davis - " In einem leisen Way"
    * Miles Davis - " WEIBCHEN BREW" (EINS MEINER LIEBLINGSalben ALLER ZEIT)
    * Miles Davis - " Tribut zu Jack Johnson" * Miles Davis - " /Leben, Evil" * Herbie Hancock - " ErstVoyage"
    * Herbie Hancock - " Headhunters" * Herbie Hancock - " Rockit" (einzeln)
    * Moderner Jazz-Quartett - " Django" * M.J.Q. - " Fontessa" * M.J.Q. - " Conquessa"
    * Kanonenkugel Adderly - " Somethin' Else" * Sun-Ra - " Lanquidity"
    * John Coltrane - " Liebe Supreme"
    * John Coltrana - " Ballads"
    * Donald Byrd - " Treten in Tomorrow" there' s soviel mehr tho und soviel ich haven' t gehört aber that' s einige gute Alben. auch für jedermann, das von Hip-hop zum Jazz gehen möchten, ist Madlib' wesentlich; s " FARBTÖNE VON BLUE" und FELSEN DJ-PETER - " DIGGIN' AUF BLUE". Dass das vorgerückte vor kurzem freigegebene Jazzmedizin-Erscheinen madlib wirklich der Grund ich schließlich war, entschieden, sich zum Jazz zu hören. Werden Sie D/L Lasten dieser Alben.
    lolwut?

When I bought "A Kind Of Blue" A Few weeks back it came with a leaflet of sorts that suggested 10 Miles albums, tried downloading them then but all the waiting periods on Rapidshare pissed me off. So Today I just downloaded them in 1 torrent.

Even though that should keep me preoccupied for a while I was wondering if anybody had top 10's for some other jazz artists, I really liked the John Coltrane album I listened to (A Love Supreme).

i haven't dwelled too much into Coltrane yet, except his work with Miles and "A Love Supreme". but Herbie Hancock got several great albums worth checking out (like "Sextant", "Mwandishi", "Thrust", "Headhunters", "Maiden Voyage", etc) . also check out Tony Williams Lifetime's "Emergency", John McLaughlin's "Extrapolition" and some Mahavishnu Orchestra albums!

miles is easily my favorite too, cuz when you go through his discography (i don't try to stress through it too, i want it to last. if i like an album i will eventually buy it and listen to it several times) it's like listening to 10 different artists during different eras. he was a true genius, "On The Corner", "Live-Evil", "Dark Magus", "Agharta" and "Pangae" are five incredible albums that's not jazz, not funk, not rock although they have a splash of all that and a big splash of hip-hop/breakbeats/drum n bass (altho they are from the '70s) - they're just Miles!
    Last edited by claaa7; 02-03-2011 at 05:09 PM.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!