once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: USO's Reports

  1. #61


    The Marine Connection;

    Another top secret document unknown to the American public at the time the Shalett and Ginna articles were published, and not uncovered until 1985 through the Freedom of Information Act by the efforts of researcher Robert Todd, was Air Intelligence Division Study No. 203 titled "Analysis Of Flying Object Incidents In The U.S.". In December 1948 Air Intelligence Division Study No. 203 produced by The Directorate of Air Force Intelligence and Office of Naval Intelligence made the rounds at the highest levels in select segments of the intelligence community.

    This document didn't claim the UFOs were interplanetary but considered possible Soviet origin and described the parameters and performance characteristics of past UFO sightings. Startling in this report and with incredible implication were the contents of paragraph No. 7, which stated, "The pattern of sightings is definable." "Sightings have been most intense throughout the states bordering The Atlantic and Pacific coast lines, and the central states of Ohio and Kentucky" the report added "Although reported domestic incidents are widely scattered throughout the U.S., frequency of sighting and number of observers per sighting assumes a definite pattern.

    There is a large concentration of sightings along the Eastern Seaboard, another large concentration throughout the Western Coast states, and a few sightings in the Middle West. Distortion of incidents by configuration of object and description of maneuverability is approximately equal in each of these areas and this is believed to further substantiate the possibility that one type of object might have been observed in different aspects of flight".

    While the air force has always been associated with the study of the UFO phenomenon here we see a keen interest in the phenomenon by the Office of Naval Intelligence. This secret document of December 1948 records the observation that "Sightings have been most intense throughout the states bordering The Atlantic and Pacific coast lines". This very same observation would be repeated during the massive UFO wave of July 1952. UFOs didn't invade America's airspace from Canada or Mexico they appeared from the sea.

    Absent in this report was the heavy concentration of UFO sightings over America's atomic testing grounds, nuclear production facilities, and nuclear storage sites in the Western part of the country. The secret document implied (1) the objects were not a threat to national security, (2) there was no evidence indicating the objects were interplanetary, (3) the objects may be an unknown "natural phenomenon".

    Air Intelligence Division Study No. 203 with the help of the Office of Naval Intelligence presents the first important clue that the Pentagon was well aware of the phenomenon's marine nature. This document is one of the rarest documents in the national archives linking the Office of Naval Intelligence to any association with the investigation of the phenomenon and offers an early clue that the study of the UFO phenomenon did not fall totally within the realm of the Air Force.

    Could the naval UFO experience be more involved than the air force? Is there a possibility that the Navy had years ago created a special secret group to investigate the strange aerial and marine manifestations? These questions are unequaled in importance in understanding the UFO phenomenon and the evolution of the modern UFO cover-up. Air Intelligence Division Study No. 203 represents the tip of an iceberg, of naval involvement with the phenomenon that has gone unrecognized for over a hundred years.

    A considerable collection of data indicates Naval experience with the phenomenon dated back to the turn of the century and the Navy had accumulated more knowledge and experience with the phenomenon than was previously known. The first journal to routinely publish reports about the phenomenon as early as the 1900's was the U.S. Naval Hydrographic Office's "Notice To Mariners". And the first name given to the enigmatic phenomenon by that same office was "Celestial Phenomenon" seen at sea. Almost fifty years later the air force would call these same enigmatic objects "Unidentified Flying Objects".

    One account published in "Notice to Mariners" provides insight into an early serious naval interest in the enigmatic phenomenon. As curious sightings of strange flying objects seen at sea are nothing new in marine history. This one case in particular had the potential to affect and shape naval interest in the phenomenon early in the century more than any other UFO sighting.

    The UFO sighting of Lt. Frank H. Schofield while aboard the USS Supply, off the coast of California on the 28th of February 1904 and reported in "Notices To Mariners". Schofield's account was: "The meteors appeared near the horizon and below the clouds, traveling in a group from Northwest to North (true) directly toward the ship"...

    "At first their angular motion was rapid and color a rather bright red. As they approached the ship they appeared to soar, passing above the clouds at an elevation of about 45 degrees. After rising above the clouds their angular motion became less and less until it ceased, when they appeared to be moving directly away from the Earth at an elevation of about 75 degrees and in direction West-Northwest (true). It was noted that the color became less pronounced as the meteors gained in angular elevation".

    "When sighted, the largest meteor was in the lead, followed by the second in size at a distance of less than twice the diameter of the larger, and then by the third in size at a similar distance from the second in size. They appeared to be traveling in echelon, and so continued as long as in sight".

    "The largest meteor had an apparent area of about six suns. It was egg shaped the sharper end forward. This end was jagged in outline. The after end was regular and in full outline".

    "The second and third meteors were round and showed no imperfections in shape. The second meteor was estimated to be twice the size of the sun in appearance, and the third meteor about the size of the sun".

    "When the meteors rose there was no change in relative positions nor was there at any time any evidence of rotation or tumbling of the large meteor".

    "The near approach of these meteors to the surface and the subsequent flight away from the surface appeared to be most remarkable, especially so as their actual size could not have been great. That they did come below the clouds and soar instead of continuing their southeasterly course is also equally certain, as the angular motion ceased and the color faded as they rose. The clouds in passing between the meteors and the ship completely obscured the former. Blue sky could be seen in the intervals between the clouds.

    "The meteors were in sight over two minutes and were carefully observed by three people, whose accounts agree as to details." [4]

    This account is only another marine UFO sighting in a massive collection of marine sightings, except, the witness later would become Admiral Schofield, Commander In Chief, of the Pacific Fleet in the 1930s. The accountability and detail of the Schofield sighting could only confirm suspicions, collected from numerous historical marine reports, that unidentified aerial objects were operating over the Earth's oceans and seas.

    When military personal who have had UFO experiences rise to the highest levels of the military hierarchy it would be prudent to expect that they would give the UFO reality exacting consideration throughout their careers. The probably that a secret Naval project was formed later in the century to analyze the plenteous collection of worldwide UFO sightings is certainly magnified when Lieutenant Schofield's UFO sighting, and his ascent in the naval hierarchy are considered.

    The rise of Schofield to CIC of the Pacific Fleet with a perception for unusual marine phenomenon certainly should have influenced the development and direction of naval UFO investigations. Frank H. Schofield was in a position to have had a pivotal influence on the Office of Naval Intelligence concerning UFO investigations.

    The name assigned to the frequently occurring phenomenon by the Air Technological Intelligence Center, Unidentified flying object, is woefully incorrect as a name to define the reported phenomenon. Fifty-percent of all UFO reports describe a phenomenon that is flying to the sea, flying from the sea, flying over the sea, diving into the water, coming out of the water, or operating with submarine like characteristics under the sea. [5] An amphibious designation also falls short of accurately portraying the unique marine capability displayed by the phenomenon.

    A more comprehensive and definitive name for the phenomenon would have to recognize the multiphibious characteristics inherent to the phenomenon from a numerous collection of land, and marine sightings. The term unconventional multiphibious vehicle (UMV) certainly describes succinctly the reported phenomenon. The implications of the phenomenon's historical association with the sea are compounded by the fact that half of all UFO sightings are reported by a exceedingly small number of observers. This fact, this statistical anomaly is explosive in its indications.

    A casual survey of UFO literature is replete with cases of UFOs causing interference and disruptions with the electromagnetic spectrum. Ships compasses wander and deviations in the Earth's magnetic field are reported when UFOs are seen. Cosmic ray indicators fluctuate. Radio and TV disturbances are common. Automobile, truck, and aircraft electrical systems fail in the presence of UFOs. Plants, animals, and human beings are burnt by radiation emitted by UFOs when in close proximity.

    Acoustic signatures and sonar contacts have been reported when UFOs are seen entering or emerging from the sea. Intense light emissions of every spectrum are reported in UFO sightings. If UFOs appeared in close proximity to naval vessels and affected radio communications, the naval communications intelligence section of naval operations would have been vigilant of any electromagnetic affect experienced.

    The Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence;

    Soon after H.G.Wells wrote The War Of The Worlds in 1898 radio signals of an unknown origin were detected between 1899-1924 by three experimental scientists, Nikola Tesla, Guglielmo, and David Todd each working independently of each other observed electromagnetic transmissions that suggested possible interplanetary communications. According to Tesla in 1899, ..."they are the results of an attempt by some human beings, not of our world, to speak to us by signals....I am absolutely certain that they are not caused by anything terrestrial."[6] Marconi in 1921 while on the "Elettra" in the Mediterranean received radio transmissions he felt originated from outer space.

    By 1924 American science fiction writers had developed a conceptual foundation in the American mental framework to accept the possibility that intelligent life could exist on other planets in the solar system. An early focus in the search for an extraterrestrial intelligence was the moon but science discounted this because of the fact that the moon lacked an atmosphere that made life impossible by human standards. A preoccupation developed with some thinkers in the science community that because of its relative similarity to earth, there was a possibility that there was life on the planet Mars.

    Astronomers had reported atmospheric and seasonal changes and a system of canals. Mars became the focus of the place where another "human" like intelligent species could reside. Some American scientists were certain this theoretical species, if they were real, would try to contact earth.

    Most certainly the Navy was not immune from this viewpoint. The navy's historical experience with strange "celestial phenomenon" seen at sea, had to have developed into a preoccupation that surely influenced the naval intelligence community. The UFO phenomenon had been observed and reported in ships logs and journals dating back to at least the time of Christopher Columbus's discovery of the new world.

    The reality that Earth may indeed be the object of visitation by another intelligent species from the planets had to have matured to the point where some element of naval intelligence was searching for the place of origin for the broadly reported phenomenon. In July, 1922 the code and signal section of the Naval Communications Service was assigned the organizational title of OP-20-G. Later the X subsection of this cryptological group became responsible for radio direction finding, communications interception, and the analysis of all electromagnetic emissions within the radio spectrum.

    Because of the tremendous distances involved in oceanic communications naval signal intelligence was positioned at the highest levels in the nation's intelligence organization. Naval Cryptology was responsible for sending and deriving information from the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

    OP-20-G was one of the first sections in the intelligence community to compartmentalize intelligence. This was not a security classification like top secret. Access was limited to those individuals who had a definite need to know specific information gained by cryptology. If there were indeed electromagnetic emissions emanating from the enigmatic "Celestial Phenomenon" seen at sea, the people who worked at the secret OP-20-G section in naval operations would have been the first to know.


    Here is another case involving the military;

    By Donald R. Todd;

    Walt Hammel (pseudonym) age 48, is a TWA pilot. After a previous encounter reported to the FAA and upon ensuing company and other authoritative harassment, has sworn never to report another UFO encounter.
    Fortunately he has confidence in APRO's and my confidentiality and discretion.
    Thursday December 22, 1977, 11:40 p.m. Captain Walt Hammel and Lt. Slim Dickson flew out of Boston's Logan International Airport. (Both names are pseudonyms)

    At 4:45 p.m. Friday December 23, 1977, Captain Hammel called me to report a UFO close encounter and that he wanted to talk it out. At 5:30 p.m. Capt. Hammel and I met at the Pagoda Chinese Restaurant in North Kingtown, Rhode Island and Capt. Hammel narrated the following:

    "We were out about six hundred miles over the Atlantic at 21,000 feet heading in to Logan. The weather was clear except for some widely scattered clouds beneath us. It was 11:40 p.m. and I had a guy by the name of Slim Dickson as co-pilot. We had just been having a cup of coffee and Slim had set his cup on the panel next to his right elbow. As he put the cup down, he glanced out to what would be between one and two o'clock, and suddenly he grabs me by the arm.

    "Reflexively I swiveled my head to look at him and caught this dazzle of twinkling lights coming at us from the starboard side, just ahead, and appearing maybe about fifty feet below. Instantly Slim and I realized that whatever the thing was, it was moving in a hurry, that it was entirely too close, and appeared to be about to cross in front of, or about to collide with us. And it was huge!

    "I slammed on some power, hauled the nose up and prayed we'd go over top of that thing. Just as we started to climb, this thing swept straight up, did an impossible right angle turn and begins to pace us. I don't see how ANYTHING could have executed a maneuver like that -- I mean almost a simultaneous two-directional turn -- up and to the right, not to mention coming to damned near a dead stop!

    "We couldn't detect any sound, see any prop or jet wash, nor see any exhaust. It just kept flashing a lot of lights around the middle. Once we leveled off again, the thing stayed just ahead of us off to our right and we had a chance to observe it. We couldn't see any hard outline or shape to it but, you could tell it was circular because of the lights.

    “The lights were mostly white." Here Walt Hammel grinned. "This is going to make you laugh and sound nutty as hell. But do you know what it reminded me of? It reminded me of an Oreo cookie.” Hammel put his hands together in a circle. “There was a red blinking light on top of the thing with all of those twinkling, silvery-white lights on around the middle. In other words, there was darkness between the red light on top and the white lights around the middle, and then darkness below the lights again.

    A little later the thing rose up and there was another red blinking light on the bottom of it. So with the dark on top and the bottom, and the silvery-white lights in the middle, it just reminded me of an Oreo cookie.

    "It looked as if about every dozen or so lights around the middle, there was a reddish-purple one and in between THEM, there was a blue one. But they were all blinking off and on intermittently.

    "I don't mind telling you I was nervous as hell, and Slim, he was chalk white and scared stiff. It suddenly occurred to me...what if the passengers are watching that thing? What am I going to tell them? I didn’t want panic back there, so I buzzed the stewardess. When she came on the phone I asked her how things were back there? She answered, "Okay, why?" l said, “Oh, nothing, Just checking.”

    l figured as long as she hadn’t made any mention of the thing out there, then evidently none of the passengers had spotted it. The object may just have been far enough forward to be out of their sight line.

    "Now comes, the wacky part of the whole thing. While we were watching the UFO, suddenly this other glowing thing drops out from underneath it. The damned thing drops out from underneath it. The damned thing looked a neon-green smoke ring. It dropped away from the larger UFO down toward the water … and submerged! We saw the glowing green circle of water where it went in, and then the glow disappeared!

    “Seconds later, two more green rings dropped out. The second one dropped away and submerged like the first one, but the third one dropped down and then shot straight ahead to disappear toward the coast.

    "It was hard to tell sizes but, afterward over a couple of beers, Slim and I finally came to the conclusion that the BIG one must have been all of a hundred feet across, or maybe even more. By comparison, the smaller ones looked like they might have been twenty feet across.

    “If I guess the big UFO paced us for about twenty minutes, then all of a sudden the lights around the middle began going out in clusters -- not in banks of say, six or eight in a row, but six or eight separate individual lights at the same time like someone inside was throwing switches. The top and bottom blinking red lights went out too with only scattered blue lights around the middle still blinking.

    "As our eyes became accustomed to the dark again, we could faintly see the silhouette of … like two inverted shallow soup bowls put together. Then very faintly just above the mid-lateral line, we could see soft subdued green flow emanating from what appeared to be trapezoidal shaped windows...you know… wider at the bottom than at the top.
    "Just about the time our eyes got focused on the windows, the thing assumed an overall bluish corona. Then it took off straight ahead like a cut cat, leaving nothing in front of us but a blue Streak in the sky. It was positively the damnedest thing I've ever seen. When we finally came into Logan, we must have hit the runway half a dozen times I was so damned nervous."
    This reference (original): The APRO Bulletin, Vol. 26, No. 10, April 1978, pps.5-6

    UFOCAT PRN – 106633
    UFOCAT URN – 106663 The APRO Bulletin, Vol. 26, No. 10, April 1978, pps.5-6
    UFOCAT URN – 121099 Aircraft UFO Encounters by Dominique Weinstein, #041-13, © 1999

    North America – United States, Massachusetts. Body of water in the Atlantic Ocean
    Boston Latitude 42-21-30 N, Longitude 71-03-37 W (D-M-S)
    Reference: The National Gazetteer of the United States of America, Prepared by the U.S. Geological Survey in cooperation with the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, Washington D.C., 1990

    link; http://www.waterufo.net/item.php?id=522

  2. #62


    Canadian Frigate Encounter;

    NOVA SCOTIA -- My father was on a frigate heading back to port in 1951. Sometime during a calm and sunny afternoon, the area in which they were traveling became very dark and the electrical power on board the ship shorted out and caused total blackness. My dad was hailed to the bridge noticed along with other shipmate’s six glowing lights in the water on the port side of the ship.

    Photo is the Frigate HMCS Winnipeg.

    He stated. “The lights were about seven fathoms down, and too cylindrical in shape to be coral.” The story gets more interesting as the men seemed to have amnesia during this experience. Now the strangest of all by the time they were contacted by their Canadian military port they were 100 miles off course. They were also two days late in returning to port and did not even realize the two-day difference.

    They were told never to speak of the incident by their captain and some officials. Dad is turning 80, and this day is embedded in his mind and probably to the rest of the crew. Photo is the Frigate HMCS Winnipeg. Thanks to MUFON

  3. #63


    "CLEVELAND -- A photo taken on March 11, 2010, for the sixth consecutive night, Eugene Erlikh said a bizarre series of lights flickered outside his apartment building window. Erich, 20 said, “It gets bright, brighter, different colors and then it gets dim and as soon as it gets dim, it starts moving.”


  4. #64


    Large 'V'-Shaped UFO encounter with US Navy Sub;
    Here is a fascinating account of a USO or "unidentified submerged object" with a US Navy nuclear submarine that also contained electromagnetic effects;

    ************************************************** ********
    Large 'V'-Shaped UFO encounter with US Navy nuclear submarine; electromagnetic effects;

    Date: October 24, 1989;
    Location: Florida, United States;

    USS Memphis nuclear submarine.
    Type of Case/Report: RawReport;
    Hynek Classification: .
    Number of Witnesses: Multiple
    Special Features/Characteristics: Military, Water-Related, E-M Effects

    "From the witness: "My ship was on patrol about 150 miles of the Florida coast. We were cruising at about 500 feet when the submarine started experiencing electronics problems.... I saw a large inverted V-shaped UFO off the port side....This huge vessel was over a half mile across. The UFO made a half circle around our ship then passed across the stern..."

    Full Report / Article;
    Source: George Filer (MUFON Eastern Director), Filer's Files #43-1998, 10-30-98 Original Source;

    A sailor reports about the UFO sighting he had while in the Navy. "I was assigned to USS Memphis (SSN-698), homeport Titusville, FL. (Cape Canaveral.) Our mission was Special Assignments which meant we protected the Space Program. We would go to sea and patrol while the shuttle was on the pad. Nine years ago, on October 24 and 25, my ship was on patrol about 150 miles of the Florida coast.

    We were cruising at about 500 feet when the submarine started experiencing electronics problems. The ship was malfunctioning, our tanks were blowing out of control, we were losing navigation ability and the communications area was totally lost. We went to all stop and tried to access what was happening. The controls in the reactor area started to malfunction.

    This presented a serious danger to our safety, so the captain ordered us to shut down the reactor, surface and go to diesel motors. When the ship surfaced I went to my watch station. The ship was still experiencing electronic difficulties but the mechanical devices such as diesel engines, cook stoves, and turbines were fine.

    It was raining and the entire sky was red like a red neon sign. I saw a large inverted V-shaped UFO off the port side. The executive officer told me to stand fast and he would speak to the captain. In a minute, the captain appeared on the tower and asked me for a distance to the craft.

    The laser range finder determined the closest point was 200 meters and the farthest point was 1,000 meters off the port. The UFO was not perpendicular to our ship but at about a 45' angle. This huge vessel was over a half mile across. The UFO made a half circle around our ship then passed across the stern causing our electronics systems to go crazy. We had permanent damage in communications and the sonar room.

    As the craft flew over the stern, I could see the rain stop under its red glow. The water seemed to rise almost a foot as the UFO passed over silently. When the UFO finished its swing across the stern it paused - the sky got brighter red and it simply moved off at tremendous speed inside 15 seconds. When the UFO left our boat returned to normal with the exception of the radio and sonar. We did a quick system check and the captain ordered us to return to reactor power and get underway.

    The captain took two petty officers, the executive officer, and myself into the wardroom. He told us to not spread any rumors until we had a chance to talk to Commander Submarine Fleet - Atlantic. We reached port in about 7 hours where I was taken into "protective custody." Two enlisted men and myself agreed we had witnessed a real UFO. I was the one who shot it with a laser range finder so I was the only one that had its exact sizes. I shot that vessel as it hovered and I got solid readings not spotty like I would on debris.

    We were in holding for about three hours when an officer from the Air Force arrived and gave us a line of bull about an exploding weather satellite. The Navy then transferred virtually everyone on the crew to new assignments. This included the her captain, the executive officer and the entire crew. They were split up which almost never happens unless one of them gets a promotion or a new command, neither of which happened. The military just split up a 4 year team. I was watching a program tonight that gave me the courage to share it.

    Case ID: 1110 edit: U.S.C § 107.

  5. #65


    Browsing through a few "ocean explorer" web sites and came across this wee gem from the Swedish ocean explorer web sit;Seems like some kind of USO anomaly has been found,still early days but interesting still;

    "The Ocean Explorer team conducted between 11/6-19/6 2011 together with Franskabolaget.com a search expedition to find more of the sunken treasures of the Sea of Bothnia (northern Baltic Sea). The treasures consits of alcoholic beverages such as Champagne, Wine and Cognac laying in the holds of small Swedish mechant ships sunken by the germans during the first world war.

    " The most famous wreck so far is with out doubt the small ketch "Jönköping" which was sunken on the 3 November 1916 by the German Uboat U 22 with 3000 bottles of Heidsieck & Co MONOPOLE Gôut Américain champagne from 1907, and 67 barrels of Bisquite & Duboché Cognac, each barrel containing 600 litres in her holds. Some of the champagne bottles has been sold for as much as EUR 20 000 per bottle".

    "This years first search/salvage expedition was granted with for the season terrible weather which did the search nearly impossible and is a reason why the Ocean Explorer team will continue the search for the "fluid gold" later during this summer".

    "However, on the 19 June a very strange anomaly was found during a sonar survey of the sea floor. Peter Lindberg, the initiator of the expeditions, says that he has never seen anything like it even if he has spent hundreds of hours watching sonar images of the sea floor, "it's up to the rest of the world to decide what it is" he says".

    "It is not in our sphere of interest to go for this object since the cost for each hour out on the sea are tremendous" he says, "Since it might be nothing we can not afford spending funds just to have a look at it, even if it might be a "new" Stonehenge standing on the bottom.

    "Ocean Explorer off course welcomes every approach of interest regarding the strange anomaly".

    Picture of the returned sonar image showing possible USO anomaly;

    Here a couple of vids showing Peter Lindberg this guys experience with sonar returns and ocean exploration is impressive, seems like her is very perplexed as of now;His below statement is very thought provoking;

    "Peter Lindberg, says that he has never seen anything like it even if he has spent hundreds of hours watching sonar images of the sea floor, "it's up to the rest of the world to decide what it is" he says. "It is not in our sphere of interest to go for this object since the cost for each hour out on the sea are tremendous" he says, "Since it might be nothing we can not afford spending funds just to have a look at it, even if it might be a "new" Stonehenge standing on the bottom"

  6. #66




    This is the one area of this subject that is USOs and that is the cases that contain radar/sonar returns of submerged objects that are listed as unknown;The following posts will deal with this area that is radar/sonar returns;

    ************************************************** ********

    RAdio Detecting And Ranging / SOund Navigation And Ranging

    A little WW-2 story from the newspapers of the day follows:

    Fish Noises Confuse Sub Crews ON Look Out for Sounds of Foe

    Denizens of Deep Grunt, Purr, drum find Grind Their Teeth With Surprising Effect, Men at Earphones Of Undersea Craft Find; Navy Records Disturbing Blasts

    WASHINGTON, Aug. 19 (AP). -- U. S. submarines turning corners at 10 fathoms or so have pulled up in surprise and wonderment at hearing such raucous sounds as "honk, honk! beep, beep!--g-r-rrrr!"

    The men with the earphones who listen to what gees on while their craft is slithering through the briny deep, often confuse these noises with the hum of enemy propellers, and signal for a quick stop, look, listen.
    But, as it turned out today, the eerie underwater traffic noises often are caused by fish.

    Yes, sir. Fish.
    The fish and wildlife service of the Interior Department has reported to its chief, Secretary Ickes, that little fishes are as noisy as dishes, when rattled.

    "Fish," said the F. and W. service in a formal report, "actually grunt, purr, drum, grind their teeth and make a medley of other sounds that create strong underwater vibrations even when inaudible on the surface."

    The F. and W. service, aided and abetted by the Navy, has made a series of recordings of fish noises which are being drummed into the ears of submarine "listeners" so that they will know the difference between an ichthyological burp and a Japanese propeller.

    "The Navy experts," said the report to Mr. Ickes, "obtained their most surprising results with the toadfish, a common species of the Atlantic coast known for its ugliness and its bad temper. Although advised by fish and wildlife service biologists that the toadfish is an important sound-producer, the investigators were unprepared for the volume of its voice which they said compared in intensity with a steam-boat whistle."

    "Fishes capable," the report went on, "of making drumming, grating, or grunting noises are found both in fresh and salt water in all parts of the world. Whether fishes use their voices to attract, the opposite sex, as a feeding call, or to express general contentment like a cat's purr is not known."
    ************************************************** ********
    This reference: (Wilmington, Delaware) Journal-Every Evening, August 19, 1943, p. 10, C1

    Nice to know we can detect small fishes and obviously, large undersea submarines. Now how about those “U.F.Other” craft ????

    This page is for the accumulation of cases that deal with Radar or Sonar so that we can see from them, what to expect in “returns”. Admittedly, the greatest number of cases will come from Radar inasmuch as it encompasses aerial UFOs as well as those on the surface.

    ************************************************** ********

    01~08-??-1947 Pacific Ocean, Position unknown;

    NOTE: Although this should be in the “Totally Submerged” category, the use of sonar and size, I feel, earns this case the distinction of being in the “Radar/Sonar” section.

    "The following text is from what appears to be a very sincere gentleman regarding an event passed down to him by his father. Although this is secondhand information, I find it very interesting in that there was a book I had read which almost duplicates this story. The name of the book is Invisible Horizons: Strange Mysteries of the Sea - True stories that defy logic... by Vincent Gaddis, © 1965, and Chapter 2, “Vanishing Islands,” has a story very much like what follows (p. 42, United States freighter American Scientist).-CF- "


    Mr. Feindt,
    Thank you for emailing me back.

    The USS Maury was a survey ship. My father was a crewman in 1946 and 1947. I typed the date wrong on my first email [original was 1945~1946].
    I heard you on a podcast and visited your website. I have always been interested in underwater objects and have seen a few things on [the] Discovery and History Channels."

    My father passed away a couple years ago. He was a truthful and religious person, and I have no reason to doubt him.

    He first told me this story as a kid. He told several family members. There is no documentation or proof- only my recollection of his story. I thought you would find it interesting, and I assure you I am not looking for publicity.

    He was traveling from Hawaii to San Francisco on the AGS16 USS Maury. This was not the destroyer but a survey ship named after the destroyer. They have a website. I believe it would have been 1946, maybe 1947. They had left Norfolk and went through the canal1 and up to San Francisco. They stopped in Hawaii before going on to Truk Island where they were stationed for a while. During the trip from San Francisco, they mapped what they thought was an underwater mountain top or a solid object of some sort.

    It was very large2 and they made several passes over it with their sonar. My father was not in the sonar department. He was used sometimes as a helmsman and the captain’s driver in port. I am not sure, but he may have been on watch or on the bridge- I don’t know for sure.

    He says after several passes the object accelerated to a fast speed and disappeared into the depths and they lost it. They searched for some time and never located it again. They did not know what it was. He did not know speeds or the size of this-only that it was very big and totally stationary for a lengthy period of time during their initial sonar mapping. He said it was big enough; they stopped to map it and thought it was solid. I do not know its depth.

    I wish I had more details, but I only recall what I have written. I have heard him tell it many times, and he never wavered from the original story I heard as a kid until he died.

    After hearing your podcast, I thought you would find it interesting. You sounded very reasonable and professional during your interview, [and] for this reason, I felt comfortable sharing this sea story with you.
    Please- do not post our name- I am not looking for publicity of any sort.

    Thank you for emailing me back!
    This reference: E-mail to me (C. Feindt) dated December 27, 2007

    Note 1: This would be the Panama Canal. –CF-
    Note 2: There are many stories of very large UFOs, for instance, December 11, 1996, location, Klondike Highway in the Yukon Territory, in which 22 witnesses saw a UFO which was found to be, through triangulation, anywhere from 0.88 km (0.55 miles) to 1.8 km (1.1 miles) in length!

    Thanks to: http://www.ufobc.ca/yukon/22index.htm

    Pacific Ocean – Location unknown
    Norfolk, VA Latitude 36-50-49 N, Longitude 076-17-07 W (D-M-S)
    Panama Canal Latitude 09-20-00 N, Longitude 079-55-00 W Panama [Canal]
    San Francisco, CA Latitude 37-46-30 N, Longitude 122-25-10 W
    Hawaii, HI Latitude 19-30-02 N, Longitude 155-30-02 W
    Truk Island Latitude 07-25-00 N, Longitude 151-47-00 E [Federated States of
    Reference: http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic. For U.S.A.
    Reference: http://gnswww.nga.mil/geonames/GNS/index.jsp For other points.

    Partial Ship’s History.
    With thanks to: http://www.ussmauryags16.org/Maury's_History.html

    ...With San Francisco as her terminus, she completed two more "Magic Carpet" runs by mid-January 1946.

    The next month [February 1946] she sailed for the East Coast, arriving at Norfolk on the 26th. In June she entered Portsmouth Naval Shipyard for conversion to a survey ship and on 12 July was renamed USS MAURY (AGS-16). As Maury she emerged from the shipyard in October with a new silhouette. Electronic survey and sounding equipment, as well as photographic, printing, and repair shops had been added within her compartments, and a helopad , helicopter, drafting room, and sound boats, [had] been provided topside.

    The boats would be used in charting positions and depths accurately, while the ship’s helicopter would transport surveyors and their equipment to points ashore and perform aerial photographic missions.

    On 6 January 1947, Maury got underway for the Pacific and her first hydrographic mission, the charting of waters around Truk and Kwajalein. Having added navigational knowledge of those areas, she sailed for San Francisco, arriving 13 September and remaining until 11 July 1948. She then got underway for New York City where she reported for duty with Service Force, Atlantic Fleet, 10 August.


  7. #67


    Below is a quote from Lord Rankeillour,a member of the British house of lords;
    This web site contains a very good data base of cases of USOs and the investigation's carried out on them, plenty of food for thought for those that considered unknown submerged objects as every bit important as UFOs;

    Lord Rankeillour, Member of the House of Lords quote below from a speech he gave in the house of lords;

    "Many men have seen them [UFOs] and have not been mistaken. Who are we to doubt their word? …
    Only a few weeks ago a Palermo policeman photographed one, and four Italian Navy officers saw a 300-foot long fiery craft rising from the sea and disappearing into the sky...
    Why should these men of law enforcement and defense lie"?

    [House of Lords, Debate on Unidentified Flying Objects, Hansard (Lords), Vol. 397, No. 23, January 18, 1979.]


    Collected by Carl Feindt
    (Biography - scroll to bottom)

    Contains 1,300 cases from 06-09-0597 thru 04-02-2011

    Have you ever wondered what effects UFOs have on water?

    Find out through eyewitness accounts and other documents as detailed in Carl W. Feindt’s UFOs and Water—an informative and eye-opening book with hundreds of descriptions of UFO sightings on or near bodies of water.

    A Research Paper by A. F. Rullán

    This file is in PDF format 828 KB (requires Adobe Reader)
    Download the Blue Book Database File (Excel Format 86 KB) Zipped
    Online Blue Book Database File (Large File 1.18 MB)
    ************************************************** ********Now lets get back to the radar/sonar returns area of this fascinating subject that is USOs;Below is a case that is in my view perplexing given the need to protect original witnesses of this sighting;

    ************************************************** ********

    Atlantic, off Newfoundland, Canada
    02-10-1951; "Encounter Above the Atlantic."

    NOTE: There has been a bit of confusion regarding this case due to ufologists’ efforts to protect the crew’s identity. Not only was the crew given make-believe names, but also the aircraft type and date of the sighting were changed. The pilot has come forward, and I have the book that he has distributed in the past. As soon as I have the time, I intend to publish it here with his permission. -CF-



    DATE: February 8, 1951;

    LOCATION: North Atlantic;

    Chapter 1 of Major Donald Keyhoe's last book, Flying Saucers: Top Secret, is entitled "Encounter Above the Atlantic." The chapter describes a sighting made in the 1950s by the crew of a U.S. Navy aircraft en route from Iceland to Newfoundland. Keyhoe's source for the report was Captain James Taylor, a retired Naval officer living in Washington, D.C., whose name had been given to Keyhoe by another Naval officer, Admiral D.S. Fahrney, a close friend of the major.

    Taylor learned of the incident in 1956 from a friend and former associate, a Navy pilot who was one of the primary witnesses. This man, a lieutenant at the time of the sighting and now a commander, is identified in the book under the fictitious name George Benton. Keyhoe used the pseudonym to protect the officer from publicity because Benton was still on active duty at the time the book appeared (1960).

    In April of this year, NICAP contacted Benton and requested a personal interview in hopes that the original report could be updated and corrected with first-hand information.

    The interview was conducted a few weeks later at Benton's home in New Jersey. It was the first time he had confided details of his experience to anyone except military intelligence and his own friends and associates. His memory of the incident was only slightly affected by the passage of time since, as he explained, "I have seen nothing like it in all my years of flying."

    The sighting occurred in the early morning of February 8, 1951. Benton, 30 years old, was flying an R5D transport which was returning to the United States from England via Iceland and Newfoundland. Benton had flown the Atlantic many times, having operated seaplanes over the South Atlantic for two years, and been assigned to the Naval Air Station in Brooklyn, New York, and later to a flight squadron at Norfolk. Virginia. At the time of the sighting, he was stationed at the Naval Air Test Center in Maryland, where he qualified for 38 types of military aircraft.

    Predawn sighting occurred on second leg of trans-Atlantic flight. "X"
    marks spot where encounter took place.

    [ Photo of a military Lockheed Constellation with superimposed saucer sketch – too poor in quality to reproduce here ] Text below photo:
    Artist version of sighting, based on faulty data, shows too much detail.
    Night was not this clear, and object did not come this close.

    The weather on the night of the sighting was excellent. The moon had set, but visibility was still good. As Benton remembers it, "You could make out the horizon clearly, but... you could not see the white caps on the water clearly."

    Seated opposite Benton in the co-pilot's seat was the plane commander, Lt. Com. F. K. (identified in Keyhoe's book as Peter Mooney). Back in the plane, asleep, were two extra crews, one a relief crew for Benton's men and the other on board as passengers. The aircraft was flying at 10,000 feet on due course for Newfoundland. Ground speed was over 200 knots (230 miles per hour).

    Approximately three and a half hours out of Iceland at mid-point in the flight, the plane passed over a weather ship which was on station below off the coast of Greenland. The ship reported everything normal.

    Eyewitness sketch depicts UFO at various stages of its ascent toward
    aircraft. Shrouded in white glow, object had fiery ring at outer edge.

    This reference: UFO Investigator (NICAP publication) dated September 1970, p. 3



    DATE: February 8, 1951

    LOCATION: North Atlantic

    Crew members and passengers on a Navy R5D aircraft experienced a dramatic sighting in the early morning hours of February 8, 1951, while flying over the North Atlantic (see last month’s issue). The details of that experience, as told by the pilot, are published here for the first time.

    "The aircraft was on automatic-pilot (this was standard procedure during clear weather so both pilots could watch for other aircraft). Lt. Com. F. K. and myself were on constant watch for other aircraft. I observed a yellow glow in the distance about 30 to 35 miles away at about the 1 o'clock position and below the horizon. My impression was that there was a small city ahead because it was the same glow you get from a group of lights on the surface before you get close enough to pick them out individually.

    "Knowing that we pass the tip of Greenland, my first thought was that we were behind schedule and had drifted north, but remembering that we had passed over the weather ship, I knew this was not the case. I called F. K.'s attention to the glow and asked him what he thought it was. He said that it looked like we were approaching land. I asked our navigator to check his navigation. He did and replied that we were on flight plan and on course.

    "The lights were farther away than we thought because it took us from eight to ten minutes to get close enough to where the lights had a pattern (our ground speed was over three miles per minute), about 15 or 18 miles away. At that time, due to the circular pattern of lights, I got the impression that possibly two ships were tied up together and that lights were strung between them for either transferring cargo from one to the other or that one was in some kind of trouble.

    "I asked the navigator to check his ship plot. He replied that there were no ships plotted in this area and that we were not close to the shipping lanes anyway. The radioman also went on the air to the weather ship which verified that there were no ships in the area.

    "Since it was time for Lt. J.'s crew to relieve us, I had the plane captain awaken them. When Lt. J. and Lt. M. came up forward, I pointed the lights out to them. Their only comment was that it had to be a ship because it was on the water and we were overtaking it fast. At this time, we were five to seven miles away; it was about 30 degrees to our right, and we had to look down at about a 45-degree angle. The lights had a definite circular pattern and were bright white.

    "Suddenly, the lights went out. There appeared a yellow halo on the water. It turned to an orange, to a fiery red, and then started movement toward us at a fantastic speed, turning to a bluish red around the perimeter. Due to its high speed, its direction of travel, and its size, it looked as though we were going to be engulfed. I quickly disengaged the automatic-pilot and stood by to push the nose of the plane over in hopes that we could pass under it due to the angle it was ascending. The relief crew was standing behind us; everyone began ducking, and a few heads were hit on objects.


    Pilot's drawing shows view from cockpit as strange object rose from
    ocean's surface and approached aircraft on apparent collision course.

    "It stopped its movement toward us and began moving along with us about 45 degrees off the bow to the right, about 100 feet or so below us and about 200 to 300 feet in front of us. It was not in a level position; it was tilted about 25 degrees.

    "It stayed in this position for a minute or so. It appeared to be from 200 to 300 feet in diameter, translucent or metallic, shaped like a saucer, a purple-red fiery ring around the perimeter and a frosted white glow around the entire object. The purple-red glow around the perimeter was the same type of glow you get around the commutator of an auto generator when you observe it at night.

    "When the object moved away from us, it made no turns, as though it was backing up about 170 degrees from the direction that it approached us, and was still tilted. It was only a few seconds before it was out of sight. (Speed estimated in excess of 1500 mph.)

    "All of our cameras were within reach, but no one was calm enough to think about taking a picture. Most of us were wondering what it was. Our impression was that this was a controlled craft. It was either hovering over the water or sitting on it, then it detected us and came up to investigate.

    "After Lt. J.'s crew had taken over, I proceeded aft and learned that most of the passengers had observed the same thing. Since I was unable to identify the object, I asked Dr. M., CDR U.S. Navy, if he had observed the object. He replied that he had and that he did not look because it was a flying saucer and he did not believe in such things. I immediately returned to the cockpit and informed the crew to keep quiet about what we observed because it might have been our first sighting of a flying saucer (during those years when you mentioned you had such a sighting, you were believed to be crazy). Lt. J. informed me that it was too late because he had called Gander Airfield in Newfoundland to see if the object could be tracked by radar.

    "When we landed at Argentia (Newfoundland), we were met by intelligence officers. The types of questions they asked us were like Henry Ford asking about the Model T. You got the feeling that they were putting words in your mouth. It was obvious that there had been many sightings in the same area, and most of the observers did not let the cat out of the bag openly. When we arrived in the United States, we had to make a full report to Navy Intelligence.

    "I found out a few months later that Gander radar did track the object in excess of 1800 mph. I did not see the reports made by other members aboard the aircraft. I did talk to the Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in 1957 but did not look at the report. They said they had it and many similar reports."
    This reference: UFO Investigator (NICAP publication) October 1970, p. 3

    UFOCAT PRN – 16658 [DOS: ??-??-1956]
    UFOCAT URN – 027703 Flying Saucers: Top Secret by Donald Keyhoe, p. 016, © 1960

    UFOCAT PRN – 27703 [DOS: ??-??-1956]
    UFOCAT URN – 027705 The UFO Evidence 1, Richard Hall, p. 032, © 1964
    UFOCAT URN – 027704 Computerized Catalog (N=3173), #0938 by L. Schoenherr, no © date

    UFOCAT PRN – 16656 [DOS: 02-08-1951]
    UFOCAT URN – 016655 UFO Investigator (publication of NICAP), September 1970, p. 3
    UFOCAT URN – 016656 UFO Investigator (publication of NICAP), October 1970, p. 3
    UFOCAT URN – NONE Alien Base by Timothy Good, pp. 86-89, © 1998
    UFOCAT URN – 121549 Aircraft UFO Encounters by Dominique Weinstein, 013-20, © 1999
    UFOCAT URN – 056212 Ted Bloecher investigation files, no date of publication
    UFOCAT URN – 193076 UNICAT computer database by Willy Smith (727) #691, no © date

    UFOCAT PRN – 16656 [DOS: 02-10-1951]
    UFOCAT URN – 144300 UFOs Over Canada: Personal Accounts of Sightings and Close
    Encounters by John R. Colombo, p. 211, © 1991

    UFOCAT PRN – 16658 [DOS: 02-10-1951]
    UFOCAT URN – 016658 Project Blue Book (files counted in official statistics), date of pub.
    February 1951
    UFOCAT URN – 016657 Anatomy of a Phenomenon by Jacques Vallee, p.?, © 1965

    UFOCAT PRN – 121550 [DOS: 02-10-1956]
    UFOCAT URN – 121550 Aircraft UFO Encounters by Dominique Weinstein, 013-21, © 1999

    UFOCAT PRN – 151297 [DOS: 02-10-1956]
    UFOCAT URN – 151297 A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies by George Eberhart, #1023, © 1980

    UFOCAT PRN – 181986 [DOS: 02-10-1956]
    UFOCAT URN – 136629 UFOs and the National Security State by Richard Dolan, 494-069,

    UFOCAT URN – 181986 UFOs and the National Security State by Richard Dolan, 400-069,

    North America – Canada, Newfoundland
    Argentia – Latitude 47-18 N, Longitude 54-00 W (D-M)
    Reference: Canada Gazetteer, prepared in the Office of Geography, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., November 1953.

    UFO Location (UFOCAT) Latitude 49.83 N, Longitude 50.05 W (D.%)

    link; http://www.waterufo.net/item.php?id=76

  8. #68
    Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Rep Power

    Default We'll be back with more Fatal Hi-Jinx but first a word from our sponsor.............

  9. #69


    Last edited by Fatal Guillotine; 09-06-2011 at 12:21 PM.

  10. #70

  11. #71


    New witness saw triangle UFO 'rise out of the sea;
    Interesting case below;
    ************************************************** ********
    "A new witness came forward April 13, 2011, from a North Carolina case with multiple witnesses involving lights seen over Wrightsville Beach on June 22, 2010, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.

    The new witness discovered two MUFON reports from the same location and date/time and decided to file a report - MUFON Case # 28655.

    The witness refers to MUFON Case # 23924 and MUFON Case # 24031.

    This witness reports being closer to the lights.

    "In both cases, the yacht club members and the couple, they were both further away then I was," the witness stated. "The yacht club is about a mile from the pier, and the pier is a few hundred yards away from where I was."

    While the original witnesses saw lights in a triangle formation, this witness at a closer location saw something different.

    "I was out for a run on the beach and I saw a triangular object rise out of the ocean maybe 150-200 feet away from my spot on the beach. I was scared so I did not approach. It was a pretty dark night, but some stars were out. I could tell it was a solid object because when they orange/red lights in a triangular pattern rose from the water, the space in between the lights blocked out the stars behind it, indicating to me it was a solid object."

    The witness described the object's movements.

    "The object hovered about 50 feet above the water for maybe 10-15 seconds, and then shot off horizontally, then upwards from a dead-stand-still to incredible speeds with no sounds of engine thrust."

    Further down the beach, the witness saw the lights a second time. Then 10 minutes later, "fighter jets began to fly overhead and I could hear at least one helicopter."

    In the first report of this case made on June 24, 2010, in MUFON Case # 23924, the witnesses include nine guests at a beach house where they first saw a ball of "reddish orange light blinking erratically, silently in the distance over the ocean."

    "A small white light appeared out of nowhere, close to the object, then they disappeared," the reporting witness stated. "Then about 2 minutes later, it reappeared and we saw it divide instantaneously into nine orbs, assembled into a horizontal V formation, after which it disappeared in a couple of seconds."

    The group members all agreed the objects were not manmade.

    "The movement was too fluid, and the speed at which it divided was extremely fast and yet controlled. The sighting was at 9:35 p.m., and then at 9:37 p.m."

    This group also reported a military presence afterwards.

    "Shortly afterwards, we saw helicopters descending on the area over the ocean where we witnessed it. At around 11:45 p.m., two fighter jets flew by, parallel to the coast. Why were they flying so close to a residential beach town?"

    In the second report of this case made on June 29, 2010, in MUFON Case # 24031, a couple walking along the beach also report strange lights.

    "A red light would go very fast (I mean REALLY fast) horizontally over the ocean, and then just disappear," the reporting witness stated. "There was a group of some other people also walking on the beach in the surf, and they also stopped and watched the light. After a while, my husband and I said maybe it was military, so we kept walking. But the strangest lights happened about ten minutes later. A red light shot across the sky, divided into multiple lights that went really fast and abruptly stopped in the air and hovered in a formation. They abruptly disappeared. It was very, very strange. I have never seen anything like it."

    This couple also saw evidence of a military presence.

    "We also saw the two fighter jets about 10-15 minutes later. We just assumed that the lights had something to do with them, but again, the lights did not act like normal missiles. I don't know how to explain them."

    There is a fourth North Carolina MUFON case that may be related - Case # 24136 - that was filed on July 4, 2010, although the exact beach is not mentioned in the public portion of the report.

    "Family members and I were on vacation on Carolina beach. We were on the beach in the evening, and noticed this orange light out over the ocean. The light would appear, and go out, come back, then two or three would appear. After approximately 20 minutes the sphere broke off into 9 or 10 different spheres. The spheres all vanished, and we didn't see anything else. This event was seen by six adults and four children. We were all amazed and had never seen anything like it. We thought we were the only ones who had seen these lights before a family friend told us about the reports at MUFON. We tried to take pictures but no luck."

    Wrightsville Beach is a town in New Hanover County, NC, population 2,593.

  12. #72


    National UFO Reporting Centre;

    Occurred : 1/19/2011 02:00 (Entered as : 1 -19-2011 2:00)

    Reported: 2/3/2011 10:51:59 AM 10:51

    Posted: 2/8/2011

    Location: Tampa, FL

    Shape: Triangle

    Duration:2 hrs

    Something came out of the ocean and flew up with a boom, out of sight in seconds 3 buddies and I went fishing on a 42 ft.boat about 80 miles s.w. mcdill a.f.b. we fished all day and around midnight we saw a lil storm north west of us going south, lightning was realy cool, flashed greenish color on the ocean and some wind but nothing we havent seen before.but we was on gaurd in case the storm got worse.now around 2:00 am the storm got a lil closer and we where all watching it.

    a lil later evey thing on the boat went dead,radio,fish finder ,sonar ,lights,even our battery powered flash lights whitch was weird cause they where battery powered.cell phones where also dead.we noticed the ocean started to rummble a lil bit, but it was not thunder the water began to vibrate a lil,flash of lighning showed up greenish on the ocean, we didnt know what to think we was talking about going in to shore rather than stay till day break.a lil later may be 30 mins.

    we saw a greenish glow in the ocean it was pretty big ,a buddy joked it was a sub.well then s! omething came out of the ocean with a greenish glow,rippleing the water,then hovering over the ocean about a mile or two away from our boat for about 10 mins.it must have been 3-4 times the size of our boat or bigger.it was glowing greenish.then it went west out to sea and then straight up, a flash , and gone. then a boom. it seemed to turn to check us out before leaving the area.when the event was over we started the boat and everything came back on.

    so we headed back to shore.half way back the sun started to rise.we looked at the time and we lost about 4-5 hours out on the ocean.it should not have been sun up yet.we didnt know what to think but we was alright and we had our fish we caught that day still on ice. we talked about what we saw and came to say ,that it was a ufo. not a sub, plane, ship ,boat, ect. not millitary, that i know of.you may email me if you like


  13. #73


    Declassification -Military UFO(USOs) Records Released: The Spanish Experience;

    "The merchant vessel Manuel Soto, owned by Transmediterránea Co., was sailing on December 23, 1985 from Las Palmas (Grand Canary island) to Arrecife (Lanzarote Island). At 03.10 hours, the third officer on duty observed in the horizon by the bow what seemed to be the rising of a heavenly body. He identified it as the star Antares. Checked ten minutes later, however, the light's position did not correspond either with Antares or any other star or planet. The officer took measurements of the altitude and azimuth of the light, which remained stationary until 03.25 when it suddenly began to move quickly. Other members of the crew came to see what was happening.

    The light approached the ship, passing directly over the vessel two minutes later. As it did, all the witnesses could perceive the object's profile, which did not resemble that of a typical aeroplane or helicopter. The object had a very intense white light on its central part, a weaker red light near it, and another white light - not as strong - set apart. The separation between the lights made the witnesses think the object was flying low, but they could hear no sound.

    The shipping company passed the log book entry to the Spanish Navy. The Navy Staff submitted it to the Air Force, but Canary Islands Air Command reported that their investigations showed no UFO observed on that date. No further investigation was made.

    And so this second sighting from the Canary Islands also remains unidentified. Sadly, nothing was reported about how the object was lost out of sight. In prinaple, the behaviour of the object - approaching from the horizon, flying at a constant altitude and speed - is consistent with that of an aircraft. Nevertheless, lack of additional detail - including the actual silhouette of the craft - prevents us from developing any specific hypothesis.



  14. #74


    This case is included here as this object was witnessed near a beach;

    "Objects" Common In Nation's Skies;

    Why I Believe in Flying Saucers;

    Pulitzer Prize winning author of "Andersonville

    "The noted writer-co-author with Gen. Curtis E. Lemay of "Mission with LeMay. My Story" tells of the strange personal sighting that convinced him that UFOs are real.

    Well, to begin with, I saw one.

    But for some years previously, I had believed that Unidentified Flying Objects must exist. I'd heard the calm testimoney of too many experienced pilots and other observers, not to believe.

    Let's say that you are a skeptic-the same sort of grimly determined Doubting Thomas that I used to be. Would your skepticism still prevail if you could hear the dry steady voice of Gen. Curtis E. LeMay saying- as indeed I've heard him say:

    "Repeat again: There were some cases we could not explain. Never could."

    When I first spotted the UFO it was hanging motionless in the sky.

    I looked at my wristwatch. 6:07 p.m.

    The date was January 4, 1954, a Monday. The place: My own beach on the Gulf of Mexico about five miles from downtown Sarasota, Fla., on an island called Siesta Key.

    On viewing the UFO, I felt a great wave of thankfulness. By golly, I thought, at last it's here. Now I don't just have to believe. Now I know.

    It looked like the top third of an apricot. The sun had fallen below the horizon a few minutes before, and earth and Gulf were now in shadow. But that object in the sky still gleamed brightly. I assumed that the orange coloration came from the sun's reflection on a curved surface of metal or some similar substance, rather than from any light radiating from the critter's interior. Also, there seemed to be some sort of rim around the bottom.

    It was at too great a distance: I couldn't tell whether there were any windows or ports. And, both on the right and left sides of the curved body, dark shadows came up to claim the surface and accentuate a brilliant sheen on that portion of the curve nearest me.

    I noted the position, and approximate height above some pines. I nailed the thing to its relationship with the tallest two trees: It was directly above them. Later I used instrumental aid to determine the exact height at which the object had hovered above the horizon. Eleven degrees up. As for a compass reading, the bearing would have been anywhere from 187 to 192 degrees.

    As for true altitude and size, there was nothing to do but guess and wonder. The UFO had to be somewhere out over the Gulf of Mexico. Since I didn't know its size I couldn't establish any true altitude. Nor could I do more than guess at its distance from me.

    The thing was motionless. It moved neither to right nor left, for a matter of minutes. It did not appear to become any larger; hence it was not advancing. It did not appear to become any smaller; hence it was not receding.

    The instant after I had checked the time, on first viewing the object, I began to yell for my wife. I bellowed her name several times. No use. The house was less than 100 yards from where I stood, but she and some friends, who had been visiting us through the New Year's holiday, and the hi-fi turned on and didn't hear me.

    On the next property an old man stepped onto the beach, Dr. Gillespie who had rented the place for the season. I headed for him as fast as I could move.

    "Doctor! Doctor! Look!" I pointed as I ran. He stared, turned, gazed toward the sea. When I reached him he was looking a little too far to the west, and I put my arm around his shoulders and turned him more toward the south.

    "Above the trees! Don't you see it?"

    "I see it," he said, "but I can't make out just what it is. Doesn't that look like-? Isn't it two airplanes refueling in midair?"

    "If it's two airplanes refueling in midair, aren't they headed in opposite directions?"

    The doctor chuckled. "Guess they are."

    "But, Doctor, that thing's absolutely motionless. It doesn't move to right or left."

    "I guess you're right."

    At that moment the object took off. It started with unbelievable speed, moving on a diagonal line, ascending as it receded into the southwest.

    I didn't take my eyes off the thing. It was really traveling. I had never seen anything hurtle so rapidly except a meteorite. I have messed around with the Air Force for a good long generation and have poked my nose into two wars.

    I know of no aircraft which mght move with such terrific speed through our atmosphere. Then it was gone.

    The time was 6:11 p.m.

    Did anyone else on Siesta Key happen to see that thing?

    Damned if I know.

    Next morning I drove to MacDill Air Force base at Tampa to report the incident to Col. Michael McCoy, who was then commanding the bomb wing.

    At MacDill, I found Mike McCoy in his office, and proceeded to sit down and tell him the whole story. I drew some sketches, too. When I was through, Mike sat tugging at his red-gray moustache.

    Well, what do we do, Mack? Send a report to Project Blue Book at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base?"

    "No," I said, "I guess not."

    "You saw it, didn't you?"

    "Yes. But if we send in this report some character will come along and tell me patiently that what I saw was the planet Venus or the planet Mars or the star so-and-so, or a Navy balloon, or a conventional aircraft; or that maybe I was the victim of an illusion induced by hysteria."

    "Exactly," said Colonel McCoy. "That's what they're always saying. Let's just forget it."

    "I won't forget it," I told him. "I'll remember it."

    Recently Curt LeMay and I were discussing UFOs while I worked with him on his autobiography (Mission with LeMay-My story, by General Curtis E. LeMay with Mackinlay Kantor, Doubleday, 1965).

    Let me quote a few lines from what General LeMay had to say about UFOs.

    "Some natural phenomenon might usually account for those which had been seen and reported and thus explain them. However, we had a number of reports from reputable individuals (well-educated, serious-minded folks-scientists and flyers) who surely saw something.

    "Many of the mysteries might be explained away as weather balloons, stars, reflected lights, all sorts of odds and ends. I don't mean to say that, in the unclosed and unexplained or unexplainable instances, those were actually flying objects. All I can say is that no natural phenomenon could be found to account for them.

    "Repeat again: There were some cases we could not explain. Never could."

    It's 12 years since I saw my first UFO. Maybe it will be my only one. I've never seen the shine of one since. But I'm always watching.

    Are you up-to-date on UFOs?

    Almost 10,000 UFO sightings have been reported to the Air Force since 1947, when it set up Project Blue Book, the official U. S. Agency that analyzes and evaluates flying saucer reports. There have also been sightings unreported to the project.

    Not one has ever given any indication that it was a space vehicle under intelligent control, according to the Air Force, although the Air Force cannot account for the origin of many UFOs.

    Maj. Hector Quintanilla Jr., chief of the project, says, "We have determined in the vast majority of cases what the stimulus of the sighting was-stars that seem to move, operational and experimental aircraft, satellites, balloons, or just plain hoaxes." But he concedes that the origin of at least 672 UFOs has not been accounted for. The Air Force has no reason to believe that any of the UFOs unaccounted for came from another planet.

    "There's no question that the people who spot UFOs see something," says Dr.Allen Hynek, chairman of Northwestern University's Dearborn Observatory and the Air Force's chief scientific consultant on UFOs. "But the majority of cases we can't explain result from the fact that we don't have anything tangible that can be measured scientifically. (I)"

    "I'd like to see just one piece of a UFO," Quintanilla says. His office at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, has received all kinds of materials purporting to be pieces of flying saucers. But analysis of the samples has always shown them to be of earthly origin.

    "We're certainly not trying to hold anything back," Quintanilla says. "The Air Force would have a lot of technical knowledge to gain from examining a real UFO."

    UFOs are reported by people from all walks of life. "We accept every report as valid," Quintanilla says, "unless there is evidence to substantiate a report as a hoax."

    Eighty percent of the cases are easily solved. "We have all the resources of the federal government at our disposal and much of private industry also," Quintanilla says.

    One case still "bugs" Quintanilla. In the late afternoon of April 24, 1964, Patrolman Lonnie Zamora of Soccorro, N.M., was chasing a speeding car on U.S. 85 when he heard an explosion. He immediately turned off the road and saw a white, egg shaped vehicle, like a car standing on end. One or two men he believed to be occupants of the vehicle were standing alongside.

    Then smoke and flame began to sprout from the bottom of the thing and Zamora ran behind his car to shield himself. The vehicle rose to about 20 feet, hovered for several seconds, and then flew off.

    There were no other witnesses, but Air Force investigators found a great deal of physical evidence they could not explain-burnt vegetation and indentations in the ground.
    Quintanilla thought the UFO might have been an experimental lunar- landing vehicle. "I've spent a lot of sleepless nights over that case," he says. "It has been well investigated and analyzed by experts. But it's still a mystery.(II)"

    (I) Dr. J. Allen Hynek later totally changed his views about UFOS, in his own words here.http://wiki.razing.net/ufologie.net/htm/hynekint.htm

    (II) Zamora case information in my site here.http://wiki.razing.net/ufologie.net/htm/zamora.htm

  15. #75


    Object Emerges from Ocean;
    Hers is a USO case dating back to 1910

    Object Resembling Airship (UFO) Emerges From Ocean

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts