Worldwide: Tuesday 19th April 2011.
United Kingdom: Thursday 21st April 2011.
Platforms Xbox 360, Playstation 3
ESRB Rating: M for Mature/18+ - Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity and Strong Language.
** The game has been denied by the Australian Classification Board and has subsequently been Banned in Australia..
* The Playstation 3 version will feature Stereoscopic 3D compatability.
* The Kollector's Edition of the game comes with Sub-Zero and Scorpion figurines, a collectible 110-page Art Book, downloadable content that includes an exclusive Ermac costume skin and Xbox Live avatar costumes.
* The Tournament Edition of the game comes with a arcade-style portable Fight Stick, and downloadable content that includes an exclusive Ermac costume skin and Xbox Live avatar costumes. The number of tournament editions is very limited with only 20,000 copies available in North America.
* The European Kollector's Edition of the game comes with a Statuette of Scorpion impaling Sub-Zero with his spear, a collectible 112-page Art Book, a Steelbook for the for the game, downloadable content that includes an exclusive Ermac costume skin and Xbox Live avatar costumes.
* Pre-ordering the game at select retailers such as Gamestop, Bestbuy and Amazon allow you to recieve exclusive character skins and their original fatalities of Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile respectively.
* Pre-order details for Europe and the rest of the world will be added once it becomes available..
"After centuries of Mortal Kombat, Emperor Shao Kahn has finally defeated Raiden and his allies. Faced with extinction, Raiden has one last chance to save Earthrealm. To undo the Emperor's victory, he must strike Shao Kahn where he is most vulnerable...The Past."
This installment will essentially be a retelling of the events from Mortal Kombat 1 to Mortal Kombat 3.
Raiden before recieving the finishing blow from Shao Kahn projects a mental message back to his younger self detailling what to come. Unsure what to make of it the younger Raiden becomes enlightened and with his new found knowledge pledges to prevent the Armageddon from ever materialising.
* It has also been revealed that the Story Mode will be the deepest of any fighting game ever. The structure of Story-Mode is said to be in the vain of MK vs DCU. It's length is to be longer than both Story Modes combined in MK vs DCU.
* Character Endings are to be in a stylized graphic novel inspired animated presentation. Not quite FMV rendered but definitely not static pictures.
Roster is stated to be about 25-30 Characters (Excluding DLC).
• Sub Zero
• Noob Saibot
• Quan Chi
• Johnny Cage
• Liu Kang
• Shao Kahn
• Shang Tsung
• Kung Lao
• Mysterious Red Female (Believed to be Skarlett)
• Kratos (God of War) - PS3 Exclusive
* Each character will have at least one Alternate Costume.
* There will be Secret Characters in this installment. However they will remain undocumented until after the game is released.
* Several post-UMK3 characters can be seen in the Arena backgrounds. Examples being Kira, Daegon, Frost, Rain, Li Mei, Reiko; Tanya, Havik, Sareena and Kenshi.
• Runs on a heavily modified Unreal 3 Engine.
• Game runs consistently at 60 FPS (Frames Per Second).
• Core gameplay mechanic is 2D with 3D rendered graphics.
• The game is supposedly the fastest paced MK game ever.
• Control Layout is in the form of Front Arm, Rear Arm, Front Leg, Rear Leg.
• Heavy emphasis on Kustom Kombos.
• Characters have their own unique match Intro's, Round Get-Ups and Outro's/Victory Pose's.
• Each character plays differently than the rest, Big focus on individuality.
• There are currently 2 throws per character. One Forward throw and one Backward throw.
• Some characters use their weapons during Kombo's alas MK3.
• Character's are modelled internally which provides better aesthetics for the X-Ray attacks and Fatalities.
• Character model damage is no longer superficial to the characters surface. The characters full model now has damage capacity.
• Blood is now more realistic. It is now also dynamic. It splashes in the direction based on the attack. It also splatters on you and your opponent aswell as the floor and walls and stays there for the remainder of the match.
• Character models can be dismembered/split at 12 different points for X-Ray Moves and Fatalities.
• There is no Run button. Dashing takes it's place.
• A Random Select Icon now appears on the Character Select Screen alongisde a DLC Icon.
• Tier 1. (S) Enhanced/Amplified version of a Special Move.
• Tier 2. (Lightning Bolt) Combo Breaker.
• Tier 3. (X) Special X-ray like attack which demonstrates the damage inflicted on your opponent internally in slow-motion.
• Allows 2 vs 2 Kombat.
• Each character has their own unique entry and exit.
• Tag Partner can swap out and in or enter with their own unique Special Move
• Ablility to call in your partner for assistance using one of their Special Moves..
• Works similarly to the Arcade Ladder.
• In order to move up the Tower you have to complete specific tasks during a fight. Difficulty increases as you progress.
• You will earn Kurrency for each Khallenge.
• Ability to buy your way past a Khallenge if it proves too difficult.
• Will be returning in this installment
• Will be the most intricate and elaborate Krypt ever but will not be to the same mass scale as Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.
Confirmed Fighting Arenas
The number of Fighting Arenas is stated to be around the 18-20 mark.
• Shang Tsung's Throne Room
• The Deadpool
• Jade's Desert
• The Pit II
• The Subway
• Goro's Lair
• The Armory
• Garden Shrine - Day and Night variants.
• The Living Forest
• Shao Kahn's Throne Room
• The Graveyard
• Kahn's Kolliseum
• The Bell Tower
• The Wastelands
• City Rooftops - Day and Night variants.
• The Bridge
• The Cathedral
• Scorpions Lair
• The Courtyard
• Krato's Enviroment (God of War) - PS3 Exclusive.
* Stage Fatalities return for certain Arenas. Some classic Arenas may recieve their first Stage Fatality. Has also been stated that they are considering maybe having two Stage Fatalities on some Arenas.
* Multi-Tiered Arenas have also been considered alas MK3/MKD.
* Each Arena will have it's own unique feature and it's own special dynamics..
It has been confirmed that there will be multiple fatalities per character. A detailed description will be added soon.
• Will be available in 1v1 Kombat and Tag-Team Kombat
• Emphasis on Kommunity play. This includes a Spectator mode. During this mode you can rate the fighting players a score and can also express feelings whilst watching the match.
• New system incorporating Respect points. Will also influence Achievements and In-Game progress..
Also announced is that there will be DLC support. There is also a DLC placeholder on the Select Screen.
Possible DLC stated is:
• Additional Characters
• Additional Arenas
• Added Gameplay Modes and Changes
• Extra Fatalities
• Alternate Costumes
Information Release Schedule.
• Debut Trailer released June 10th.
• First Reveal at E3 2010.
• Exclusive Gamespot Stage Demo at E3 2010.
• Media Embargo placed on E3 2010 Content.
• Not Shown at Comic Con 2010.
• Showcased at X10 in Toronto.
• More Characters and Arenas Announced at GamesCon 2010.
• Shadows Trailer released August 31st.
• Playable Build at PAX 2010.
• First MKast released September 13th.
• Official Website launched October 12th.
• Playable Build at the Electronic Games Show 2010..
• Second MKast (Part 1 of 4) released October 25th.