once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!

Thread: Professor Brian Cox: Wonders of the Universe - Stardust

Post Professor Brian Cox: Wonders of the Universe - Stardust

Amino acids, the buliding blocks of life, have been found in meteorites. And this shows us that the complex carbon chemistry needed for life was happening out in Space. The carbon that helps to make up our bodies was formed in inside a dying star. The Sun, the Earth and our bodies are made up of the ashes of dead stars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zm833/Wonders_of_the_Universe_Stardust/
    Professor Brian Cox explores the laws of the universe. Brian seeks to answer the biggest questions of all: what are we? And where do we come from?

"When we look out into space, we are looking into our own origins, because we are are truly children of the stars. Writen into every atom and every molecule of our bodies is the entire history of the Universe. From The Big Bang to the present day.

Our story is the story of the Universe. Every piece of everyone, of everyone you love, everyone you hate, of the thing you hold most precious, was assembled from the forces of nature in the first few minutes of the life of the Universe. Transformed in the hearts of stars or created in their fiery deaths.

And, when you die those pieces will be returned to the Universe in the endless cycle of death and rebirth.

What a wonderful thing it is to be a part of that Universe! And what a story. What a majestic story!"

If the above link doesn't work for my non UK peeps try this:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6241288/Wonders_of_the_universe_episode_2_(rock2011)
    Last edited by James G; 03-15-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Amino acids, the buliding blocks of life, have been found in meteorites. And this shows us that the complex carbon chemistry needed for life was happening out in Space 400 billion odd years ago. The carbon that helps to make up our bodies was formed in inside a dying star. The Sun, the Earth and our bodies are made up of the ashes of dead stars.
    from what I know of, est. age of the universe is about 14 billion years, where did these 400 come from all of the sudden??

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    from what I know of, est. age of the universe is about 14 billion years, where did these 400 come from all of the sudden??
    Sorry man, that's a typo according to my man B Cox, he quotes 4 billion not 400. Watch the vid, it's in context.

ok I see, np
    I'm not able to watch the vid unfortunately. "not available in your area"... and I didn't bother to dl it yet lol, I might later tho'!
    peace

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

Ok, I taken out the number, because it was misleading, thanks for calling me out. The context wasn't explained.

The nebula the in which our Sun was formed, formed 5 billion years ago, the Sun is about 4 1/2 billion years old. So everything found on Earth, the Solar System and the Milky Way originate in that nebula. That's where the number came from.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    ok I see, np
    I'm not able to watch the vid unfortunately. "not available in your area"... and I didn't bother to dl it yet lol, I might later tho'!
    peace
    Thanks man.

Peace