once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Coltrane Album

Default Favorite Coltrane Album

for me its giant steps or ole

only have 3 albums, all dope but right now I'll go with blue train.

yea that is a good album

"A Love Supreme", no contest. In fact I'd say that it's in contention for best jazz album of all time.

"Interstellar Space" is his second best, in my opinion.

"A Love Supreme" is my favorite, one of my all time faves.

but "Giant Steps" is also incredible and "My Favorite Things" too.. i need to check out more 'Trane albums though.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Taskmaster2112 View Post
    "A Love Supreme", no contest. In fact I'd say that it's in contention for best jazz album of all time.

"Interstellar Space" is his second best, in my opinion.
    cosign this

Giant Steps is up there, Blue Trane is dope. Lush Life is another personal favourite.

shit Trane may be the dopest jazz artist ever imo. but thats really to hard to say

yeah i forgot about "Blue Trane", amazing album too

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

some of his later work is next level stuff imo tho. now that i made my choices im starting to think its too hard to pick one album.

Meditations is another great album, unfortunately his last with Tyner and Jones, both played an essential role in Coltrane music imo. but check this one out, a lot more free jazz, avant garde style imo but really good stuff.

Impressions is another favourite of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    cosign this

Giant Steps is up there, Blue Trane is dope. Lush Life is another personal favourite.

shit Trane may be the dopest jazz artist ever imo
    . but thats really to hard to say
    ya think

PRODIGAL SUN

riding in a freight train
    in the freezing rain
    listening to Coltrane
    my reality went insane
    and i think i saw Jesus
    he was playing hopscotch with Betty Carter
    who was cursing him out
    in a scat-like gibberish for not saying 'butterfingers

A Love Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Feet View Post
    some of his later work is next level stuff imo tho. now that i made my choices im starting to think its too hard to pick one album.

Meditations is another great album, unfortunately his last with Tyner and Jones, both played an essential role in Coltrane music imo. but check this one out, a lot more free jazz, avant garde style imo but really good stuff.

Impressions is another favourite of mine
    If you dig his later free stuff, you should check out "Interstellar Space" and "Ascension" if you haven't already. They're polar opposites in his post-"A Love Supreme" discography, but they're both amazing. "Ascension" has 11 musicians on it, and it's kind of an intense listen, but once you're about 10 minutes in you get accustomed to the intensity and settle in and it becomes kind of relaxing in a way. "Interstellar Space" is just Trane and Rashied Ali on drums. The album is made up of 4 improvisations. For each song, Trane rings some bells to signal to Rashied to start drumming, and then Trane comes in and takes the whole thing to space. I didn't get it at all the first time I listened to it (I think I downloaded it, deleted it, and redownloaded it 3 or 4 times before finally keeping it and starting to try to find a vinyl copy. something about it kept me coming back though), but now its my second favorite Trane album.

Interstellar Space is real dope, some people dont get it. but its not something you can get right away.

i always say, you have listen like this. Space is chaotic but at the same time organized and fluid, much like the Tranes saxophone work is.

Just listened to giant steps, I can see it becoming my favourite coltrane album.

Also, no mention for ballads?