Thread: Jazz listener why do people think that

Default Jazz listener why do people think that

Grover Washington defines Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Guillotine View Post
    Grover Washington defines Jazz
    I wasn't under the impression that anyone has ever argued that Grover Washington Jr. defines jazz.

lmao, actually got into an slight argument with some guy at this place i cop my cds from was purchasing a mccoy tyner cd and this clown says i think grover washington is a better jazz musician

i dont agree with that but maybe to that guy he is, who knows.

but he certainly doesnt define jazz, although he was definitely prominent

got some dope samples as well

No artist "defines" a genre. Especially one as broad ranging as jazz, which began as an american artform but it spread around the world, and it is split into lots of sub-genres and time periods. If you desperately want something to define jazz, or at least its ethos and its beauty then the Blue Note label is the closest you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynKing View Post
    No artist "defines" a genre. Especially one as broad ranging as jazz, which began as an american artform but it spread around the world, and it is split into lots of sub-genres and time periods. If you desperately want something to define jazz, or at least its ethos and its beauty then the Blue Note label is the closest you can get.
    I agree with everything you said until the very end. Yes, Blue Note was/is and amazing label, but I don't think they define jazz, as there were many sounds that they didn't really do, most notably the styles prior to the 1940s, but they also only dabbled in free jazz, their fusion era ended in the mid-1970s, and even though I can't stand this type of jazz, they didn't really put out smooth jazz. Blue Note focused mostly on Hard Bop and Post-Bop sounds, and while they really are the high watermark for those styles, they can't come close to defining the genre as a whole.

And that's what I love so much about jazz. As an art form, it can be damn near anything. It's impossible for one artist, one style, one label, or one anything to define it.

BASCO

some of the reasons why i like hip hop as well

Quote Originally Posted by Taskmaster2112 View Post
    I agree with everything you said until the very end. Yes, Blue Note was/is and amazing label, but I don't think they define jazz, as there were many sounds that they didn't really do, most notably the styles prior to the 1940s, but they also only dabbled in free jazz, their fusion era ended in the mid-1970s, and even though I can't stand this type of jazz, they didn't really put out smooth jazz. Blue Note focused mostly on Hard Bop and Post-Bop sounds, and while they really are the high watermark for those styles, they can't come close to defining the genre as a whole.

And that's what I love so much about jazz. As an art form, it can be damn near anything. It's impossible for one artist, one style, one label, or one anything to define it.
    true