once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: What In your opinon constitutes a great rap album?

  1. #1

    Default What In your opinon constitutes a great rap album?

    something i was pondering looking at some of these threads

    what in your opinion constitutes a good rap album?

    *Song Concepts?
    *Lyrics?
    *delivery?
    *Production?




    -discuss-

  2. #2
    Rum Ham ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    MAFIA LAND
    Posts
    13,217
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    good idea for a thread.

    taking the elusive x-factor out of the equasion, i'd say this:

    - something with replay value eg detailed production, complex lyrics, or timeless themes.
    - a theme or sound that stays consistent eg not throwing producers or guests in the middle of an album that don't fit.
    - something where the lyrics and beats are connected. i hate hearing a verse knowing that the emcee could have spit it on any beat.
    - one or two anthems
    - song and album concepts have to work like gangbusters, its fine to be ambitious but if you fail, you fail even harder. also it has to fit the album.
    - most important, invention. every great hip hop album you can name has something unique that other albums don't.

  3. #3
    Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On your roof
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,341
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    good idea for a thread.

    taking the elusive x-factor out of the equasion, i'd say this:

    - something with replay value eg detailed production, complex lyrics, or timeless themes.
    - a theme or sound that stays consistent eg not throwing producers or guests in the middle of an album that don't fit.
    - something where the lyrics and beats are connected. i hate hearing a verse knowing that the emcee could have spit it on any beat.
    - one or two anthems
    - song and album concepts have to work like gangbusters, its fine to be ambitious but if you fail, you fail even harder. also it has to fit the album.
    - most important, invention. every great hip hop album you can name has something unique that other albums don't.
    Funny because there are easy counterexamples to every point you made.

    Criminal Minded surely didn't have detailed production OR complex lyrics OR timeless themes (mostly it was just gun rap and braggadoccio with second to none lyrical acrobatics), and yet it's undeniably great rap album.

    Black Star album has no anthems (I dare you to say Respiration or K.O.S. are anthems), and it's still great.

    Straight Outta Compton is as sonically disjointed as it gets (from Public Enemy aping to West Coast hardcore to electro) and a lot of people would say, not without reason, that it's the greatest hip-hop album ever.

    Or the ultimate hip-hop album, Illmatic, which had absolutely no inventions.

    Or Dr. Octagonecologyst, which apparently had a concept but I had a hell of a trouble connecting any song to the album concept. Plus the MC is Kool Keith, who never really listened to any of his beats. Again, great album.


    So it boils down to the x-factor. Either it hits you hard and grows better with repeated listens or it doesn't. And if it has the same effect on lots of people plus a lot on influence on other rappers/producers, you got yourself a classic.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

  4. #4
    I Dont Walk I Get Carried kingwu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Syracuse NY
    Posts
    388
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    paid in full

  5. #5
    Rum Ham ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    MAFIA LAND
    Posts
    13,217
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    Funny because there are easy counterexamples to every point you made.

    Criminal Minded surely didn't have detailed production OR complex lyrics OR timeless themes (mostly it was just gun rap and braggadoccio with second to none lyrical acrobatics), and yet it's undeniably great rap album.

    Black Star album has no anthems (I dare you to say Respiration or K.O.S. are anthems), and it's still great.

    Straight Outta Compton is as sonically disjointed as it gets (from Public Enemy aping to West Coast hardcore to electro) and a lot of people would say, not without reason, that it's the greatest hip-hop album ever.

    Or the ultimate hip-hop album, Illmatic, which had absolutely no inventions.

    Or Dr. Octagonecologyst, which apparently had a concept but I had a hell of a trouble connecting any song to the album concept. Plus the MC is Kool Keith, who never really listened to any of his beats. Again, great album.


    So it boils down to the x-factor. Either it hits you hard and grows better with repeated listens or it doesn't. And if it has the same effect on lots of people plus a lot on influence on other rappers/producers, you got yourself a classic.
    those are anomolies. you have a point though, basically at the essence of music theres a vibe to certain records where every sound and thought expressed just works and its difficult to break it down more than that.

    but i think most hip hop classic have the elements i said, inventiveness is tough though, i meant it more along the lines of originality, uniqueness. obviously not every classic is a game changer: reasonable doubt, enter the stage, hell on earth, gory days, mm food off the top of my head are all great albums with those elements but aren't as inventive as other classics.

  6. #6

    Default

    Gotta be dope production, and should have some good skits imo

    MCing is also of vital importance but there are dudes who aren't incredible MCs that I could listen to for awhile
    Non Ignorants




    RIP

  7. #7
    Wu Vatican
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ny
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,323
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    consistency.

    good beats.

    artist has a good voice.

    a couple good guest spots (but not needed, and not to be over done).

    above average lyrics.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

    People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

  8. #8
    a.k.a. The Great' Prime8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quality music.

    There's no set standard.

    It could be a compilation - Lost Tapes
    Or a concept album - Prince Among Thieves

    As long as it does what it's trying to really well.
    Slept On!

  9. #9
    Winter is Coming THE MASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Temple of the King
    Posts
    12,470
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    its good thread but as should be clear by now the standards arent exactly standards. especially in hip hop, cause there never really was any rules to it. not much of a technical genre outside of the emceeing aspect imo

    as far as im concerned a classic LP has a consistentcy and focus, as well asoulful drivw from the artists involved with it. most albums out nowadays, even outside of hip hop, lack focus and soul.

    also a good engineer helps, someone who knows what they are doing with sounds can make even an average album sound better imo

  10. #10
    Inspektah Meth-Tical
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    Funny because there are easy counterexamples to every point you made.

    Criminal Minded surely didn't have detailed production OR complex lyrics OR timeless themes (mostly it was just gun rap and braggadoccio with second to none lyrical acrobatics), and yet it's undeniably great rap album.

    Black Star album has no anthems (I dare you to say Respiration or K.O.S. are anthems), and it's still great.

    Straight Outta Compton is as sonically disjointed as it gets (from Public Enemy aping to West Coast hardcore to electro) and a lot of people would say, not without reason, that it's the greatest hip-hop album ever.

    Or the ultimate hip-hop album, Illmatic, which had absolutely no inventions.

    Or Dr. Octagonecologyst, which apparently had a concept but I had a hell of a trouble connecting any song to the album concept. Plus the MC is Kool Keith, who never really listened to any of his beats. Again, great album.


    So it boils down to the x-factor. Either it hits you hard and grows better with repeated listens or it doesn't. And if it has the same effect on lots of people plus a lot on influence on other rappers/producers, you got yourself a classic.

    If Criminal Minded was released in this day would it still be considered a classic?

  11. #11
    Rum Ham ShaDynasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    MAFIA LAND
    Posts
    13,217
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    just for fun im making a case against what slim t said, although theres some truth to his post:

    criminal minded: turned a lot of producers on to minimalist production, krs delivering every line like it was the hook. there are timeless themes: the dangers of the street, krs kicking ass at rapping lol.

    black star: i like the album, and i get why some people would call it classic. for me its just a good album. but anyway thieves in the night is an anthem.

    straight outta compton: sonically disjointed? perhaps it would be but dr dre kind of ties it together, the tracks are mixed similarly. this before there even was a west coast sound. anyway i said a theme or a sound, as long as somethings consistent. there are plenty of great albums that blend genres and still sound unified.

    illmatic: for the sake of argument nas invented a rhyme style and raised the level of literary skill that rappers weren't doing at the time. something like 'one love' is pretty inventive, or premos production on 'represent' etc

    dr octagoncolygyst: kool keith doesn't count.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    consistency.

    good beats.

    artist has a good voice.

    a couple good guest spots (but not needed, and not to be over done).

    above average lyrics.
    some albums i listen to although the lyrics were ill imo the beats were sub par (think canibus 1st album)

  13. #13

    Default

    btw someone mention criminal minded actually that album was somewhat a factor in making this thread

  14. #14
    Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On your roof
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,341
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    just for fun im making a case against what slim t said, although theres some truth to his post:

    criminal minded: turned a lot of producers on to minimalist production, krs delivering every line like it was the hook. there are timeless themes: the dangers of the street, krs kicking ass at rapping lol.

    black star: i like the album, and i get why some people would call it classic. for me its just a good album. but anyway thieves in the night is an anthem.

    straight outta compton: sonically disjointed? perhaps it would be but dr dre kind of ties it together, the tracks are mixed similarly. this before there even was a west coast sound. anyway i said a theme or a sound, as long as somethings consistent. there are plenty of great albums that blend genres and still sound unified.

    illmatic: for the sake of argument nas invented a rhyme style and raised the level of literary skill that rappers weren't doing at the time. something like 'one love' is pretty inventive, or premos production on 'represent' etc

    dr octagoncolygyst: kool keith doesn't count.
    LOL, will do. What I was trying to say is that a certified great calbum can and often does lack one or more of the elements you mentioned. Certainly not all of them, in that case it would be the other opposite... certified wack.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

  15. #15
    Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On your roof
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,341
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspektah Meth-Tical View Post
    If Criminal Minded was released in this day would it still be considered a classic?
    If Criminal Minded wasn't released in 1987 there would be no hip-hop as we know it.

    (Since that was your post, I would ask you if Cassidy could be the greatest rapper of this generation, but since you would actually answer that question I won't ask it.)
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •