once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasted RZA Beats

Default Wasted RZA Beats

After reading that RZA emptied out his beat machines and gave Nas, Busta Rhymes, Talib Kweli 10 older (you know what that means, GOOD) beats each and Kanye West another 20 because "Wu-Tang didn't want them", I threw up everywhere then realized this is nothing new. Wu-Tang only occasionally know what their strengths are, which is at the same time what their fans want. A lot of really dope RZA beats (beats only RZA could've made) have been either given to really wack rappers, put on compilations and are therefore largely ignored, or put on solo albums when they would have been much better served as Wu-Tang Clan songs.

For example:

"The Sting" Intro
    "Cameo Afro"
    "Just A Lil Dude"
    "Certified Samurai"
    "Out Think Me Now"
    "Duc Lo"
    "The Glock" (who from New York was saying 'bout it 'bout it in 2001???)
    "The Weeping Tiger" (this was supposed to be on 8 Diagrams!)
    "Dark Fantasy" (originally meant for Wu-Tang)
    That beat that was left off "The W" LP - Wu nerds know the one.
    "Break Bread"
    "Booby Trap"
    "You Can't Stop Me Now" (also meant for 8 Diagrams)
    "The Grindz"
    "New Producers"
    "They"
    "Chi Kung"
    "In The Hood" Intro ("Tie ya shoe, bitch!" ?!?!??)
    "Shaolin Finger Jab"
    "This Thing" (because it's unreleased)
    "State of Grace" (for the same reason)
    "The Grunge"
    "Spit That G"

At one point, he said that "60% of Cuban Linx 2" was done on his MV8000. That's not including whatever else he did for that album.

Not saying all these songs are bad, but together on an album with all Wu-Tang spitting on them, there'd be a lot less complaining Wu fans.

I don't mind Nas having them at all, by the way. The reason he gave them away for free was because he figured no one wanted them in Wu-Tang and because he just directed a film, so OF COURSE that's what he's going to be doing from now on. Riiight. Marty Scorsese, over here. Also, he's busy making bullshit like that new Black Knights and all that Stone Mecca-sounding shit. No one wants to hear that shit though.

There are a lot more I can't remember now. Like some shit he did for Freemurda. What else?

I want to hear Black Knights and Stone Mecca
    Impermanence on this plane of reality/where criminality, brutality freely dwell/ Truth is a casualty in this hell/ Karma reins with divine causality, then its swell--StrangeLoveSurreal

OG-18* WAT

Black Knights are sick.
    La Connoisseur Life

where did you hear that "Dark Fantasy" was meant for Wu-Tang? i never heard them speak directly on it, but from the reports on the work situation it sounded like that was created in place at the sessions.

i really prefer "Thug World" to "Unpredictable", although i can dig both. but the former are much better suited as a Wu-Tang song. RZA should've known that after fans waited for 6 years, they don't want too much experimental stuff but that raw, classic sound that made them fans in the first place. still "8 Diagrams" actually was a very Wu sounding LP.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I think the greatest beat ever wasted is the intro of Iron Flag, before "In the Hood" starts. That song definitely was the best beat on the whole album, and I find it a little insulting that we only got just 40 seconds of it. The same thing happened with "The W" but at the very least it was released as a bonus on Iron Flag. One that you didn't mention is MC Conditioner. I never liked the first part, but when the beat changes and GZA starts to spit the beat gets crazy. I wished that part of the beat would've been for the entire song instead.
    Last edited by RagnaroK; 02-03-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    Human Instrumentality Project

Sacrificing older life to create a new lifeform blessed with the fruit of life

^ good point about the outro to "Conditioner", that's definitely a classic RZA beat that probably even was recorded as a full song. i believe Deck had a verse on that too... it's pretty cool the way it is now with just a super dope interlude out of nowhere

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Shaolin Finger Jab was always dope and the Conditioner outro is just sick.
    The brutal offspring of Conan and Red Sonja.

That "conditioner outro" which I call a hidden bonus track was possibly the dopest shit on that album. I also like the "hood rat" hidden track on birth of a price album. That was another classic rza beat.

Which beat was left off of "The W"?

I think he meant either The W or Shoalin Finger Jab.
    Last edited by RagnaroK; 02-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Human Instrumentality Project

Sacrificing older life to create a new lifeform blessed with the fruit of life

Quote Originally Posted by Don Universo View Post
    That "conditioner outro" which I call a hidden bonus track was possibly the dopest shit on that album. I also like the "hood rat" hidden track on birth of a price album. That was another classic rza beat.
    Yeah hood rat is dope Id love to hear the full version of that, if it exists
    Impermanence on this plane of reality/where criminality, brutality freely dwell/ Truth is a casualty in this hell/ Karma reins with divine causality, then its swell--StrangeLoveSurreal

I separated Conditioner from the GZA song at the end, I call it "GZA Break".
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

"where did you hear that "Dark Fantasy" was meant for Wu-Tang? i never heard them speak directly on it, but from the reports on the work situation it sounded like that was created in place at the sessions."

Yup, Kanye invited all the producers he wanted on Fantasy to Hawaii. RZA produced a couple tracks for him, he just didnt know WHICH ones were going to be used. In fact 'New Day' was a Fantasy left-over

y'd u bold duc lo, thats a dope song