Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Education [resources]

No artificial sleazy

Default Online Education [resources]

There is really no excuse these days, even if you come from a failed school system - you have a lot of *FREE* resources at your disposal. Here are some things to check out:

I'll update this with anything noteworthy that I come across.
    Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 02-04-2012 at 08:41 PM.

No artificial sleazy

Webcast.Berkeley
    On the west coast, the University of California at Berkeley has put over 500 courses online. You can take introductory courses in Astronomy, Biology, Computer Science, Economics, History, Mathematics, Cognitive Science, Physics and more. Their audio and video webcasts are a great way to test out different University disciplines to see if the courses actually interest you enough to learn on your own.

LearningSpace by The Open University
    The Open University’s LearningSpace out of the UK provides over 600 free online courses. Each course includes activities to assess your progress and interact with other students. In their course list, you can find interesting courses like Social Marketing, Digital Communications, Invention and Innovation, Sustainable Energy and Developing your Thinking Skills.

Open Yale Courses
    Of the U.S. Ivy League crowd, Yale is doing the best job of making its courses available on the web. Currently, there are about a 100 courses on a number of interesting topics covering the full spectrum of Yale’s faculties. Each course is well laid out with course materials, audio podcasts, video lectures, transcriptions and links to related web resources.

YouTube EDU
    Google is not far behind Apple with an incredible amount of video lectures and short courses available on their YouTube site. The list of Universities providing lectures and video material is exhaustive and while you won’t find full University courses, you can access video lectures from many of the world’s leading scholars. The Lifelong Learning section nicely organizes an amazing collection of online learning resources from groups like TED, Big Think, Fora.TV and National Geographic.

Wikiversity
    While it’s not actually a University, Wikiversity is using the Wiki-powered model to make University-level courses available to everyone. There are 1000s of courses on their website. The quality varies but like its sister site Wikipedia, Wikiversity is a force to be reckoned with and continues to grow fast. A similar online learning collaboration model has been undertaken by Rice University’s Connexions.

Carnegie Mellon’s Open Learning Initiative
    The Open Learning Initiative’s mission is to put Carnegie Mellon’s University courses online. At the moment, they haven’t added many courses but you will find full courses in Biology, Chemistry, Statistics, French, Logic & Proofs, Anatomy and Engineering. Other Universities with small but growing databases of free online courses include Tufts, Utah State and Kutztown University of Pennsylvania.

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

there you go palehorse, you faggit.

you have no excuse now.

start with economics and immigration.
    We do it for the people.

"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

No artificial sleazy

^lmao

I'm liking what Khan Academy offers so far

Good stuff, thanks.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

Khan Academy is pretty cool

Cream of the Corp

Not FREE, and not online, but one can order DVD's or CD's of around 200 different courses. The DVD's can be over $200 and the CD's over $100, but they have very generous sales at different times in a given year. I recently got 3 courses at $40 per course(DVD)

THEGREATCOURSES.COM

If one comes from a failed school system, I'm not sure that they could focus on or understand AP or college level material on their own.

I suppose that there are no excuses. However, some people can drive the car, some have to put it in neutral, get out and push, while some have to push when the devil has his foot on the brakes.
    Last edited by june181972; 02-07-2012 at 06:09 PM.

sort of related.

Knew about some of these, will definitely be using these.

Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    there you go palehorse, you faggit.

you have no excuse now.

start with economics and immigration.
    lol ...thanx rob.. ive been thinking about getn an ace in adobe ps and illy..im gonna check these out

No artificial sleazy

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Digital Underground - Discuss computer games on all formats
    lol shuddup

I put in a request to change this section description

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

Online Education... 02-10-2012 12:09 PM PALEHORSE you a fucking retard

lmao
    We do it for the people.

"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

No artificial sleazy

Quote Originally Posted by june181972 View Post
    If one comes from a failed school system, I'm not sure that they could focus on or understand AP or college level material on their own.
    That's a good point, I can see some people not being prepared for college level material if they don't even have fundamentals down. Most of my skill sets for my career are self-taught and I've gotten used to things being that way when I need to learn something new.

These are good resources for refreshing one's mind if they've already been through the motions, but you can count on post secondary education being almost entirely conducted online in our lifetime. It will be something far more involved than video tutorials.

No artificial sleazy

http://www.erowid.org/

This website contains a wealth of information on psychoactive compounds, natural medicines, chemical culture, scientific research and spiritual culture.