once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: 6 Reasons Why NY Hip-Hop Fell Off (Nice Read)

  1. #31
    Veteran Member TheFunkyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AMSTERDAMN!
    Posts
    1,935
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Erebus View Post
    Thread derailed.

    What about the possibility that (NY) rap fell off because it simply got boring? Like, bored rappers talking about boring topics over tired beats?

    Or maybe, because they gave up the funk? 'Cause I think that's it.
    Exactly. Remember when Pete & CL said Feel the funk baby on The Basement and you went crazy right there. That's missing lol

  2. #32
    -
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,736
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Yes i didn't like Gang Starr's Step In The Arena album because of the beats. Good beats are very important to me for a album to be good because it doesn't matter to me if a rapper has good lyrics because if the beats suck, then the album sucks. Do you think most people are gonna listen to just lyrics when they listen to a song? I don't think so. I also forgot to say i like Das EFX's Dead Serious, Straight Up Sewaside, Hold It Down albums and Black Sheep's A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing album. Also another eastcoast album i like that isn't from New York is Common's Can I Borrow A Dollar. I love that album and i think it's his best one. My favorite songs on there are A Penny For My Thoughts, Charms Alarm, Take It EZ, Heidi Hoe, Breaker 1/9(video version), Two Scoops Of Raisins, Tricks Up My Sleeve, Soul By The Pound(video version).


    Another rap album i like a lot that isn't from New York is College Boyz Radio Fusion Radio album. Lead rapper Romany Malco who's a actor now is from New York. I think he's from Brooklyn but he moved to Texas when he was a teenager i guess. The album came out in 92 and has a lot of jams such as Victim Of The Ghetto, Hollywood Paradox, Underground Blues, Rigamarole, Humpin, College Boyz In The House, Real Man, How To Act, Funky Quartet. They did a 2nd album called Nuttin Less Nuttin Mo and they disappeared and i was kinda mad because i liked them. That album is good and has my favorites Live On Wzack, Rollin, On Da Stroll, If I Wuz A Bird, No Sets No Drama No Stress, 15 Emotions. If you've never seen their videos before, check them out on Youtube like Victim Of The Ghetto, Hollywood Paradox, Humpin, Rollin. You should also check out a interview they did with Joe Clair on Rap City tv show in 94 on Youtube when they were talking about their Nuttin Less Nuttin Mo album. Props to Romany Malco for doing rap before he became a actor. I think most of his movies suck but i liked him in Think Like A Man movie. I might check him out on Weeds tv show and get a couple of the dvd's.

  3. #33
    Veteran Member TheFunkyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AMSTERDAMN!
    Posts
    1,935
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Yes i didn't like Gang Starr's Step In The Arena album because of the beats. Good beats are very important to me for a album to be good because it doesn't matter to me if a rapper has good lyrics because if the beats suck, then the album sucks. Do you think most people are gonna listen to just lyrics when they listen to a song? I don't think so. I also forgot to say i like Das EFX's Dead Serious, Straight Up Sewaside, Hold It Down albums and Black Sheep's A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing album. Also another eastcoast album i like that isn't from New York is Common's Can I Borrow A Dollar. I love that album and i think it's his best one. My favorite songs on there are A Penny For My Thoughts, Charms Alarm, Take It EZ, Heidi Hoe, Breaker 1/9(video version), Two Scoops Of Raisins, Tricks Up My Sleeve, Soul By The Pound(video version).


    Another rap album i like a lot that isn't from New York is College Boyz Radio Fusion Radio album. Lead rapper Romany Malco who's a actor now is from New York. I think he's from Brooklyn but he moved to Texas when he was a teenager i guess. The album came out in 92 and has a lot of jams such as Victim Of The Ghetto, Hollywood Paradox, Underground Blues, Rigamarole, Humpin, College Boyz In The House, Real Man, How To Act, Funky Quartet. They did a 2nd album called Nuttin Less Nuttin Mo and they disappeared and i was kinda mad because i liked them. That album is good and has my favorites Live On Wzack, Rollin, On Da Stroll, If I Wuz A Bird, No Sets No Drama No Stress, 15 Emotions. If you've never seen their videos before, check them out on Youtube like Victim Of The Ghetto, Hollywood Paradox, Humpin, Rollin. You should also check out a interview they did with Joe Clair on Rap City tv show in 94 on Youtube when they were talking about their Nuttin Less Nuttin Mo album. Props to Romany Malco for doing rap before he became a actor. I think most of his movies suck but i liked him in Think Like A Man movie. I might check him out on Weeds tv show and get a couple of the dvd's.
    Lol what are you talking about? DJ Premier himself said that Step In The Arena was his favorite work. If you listen you can hear he is trying to figure out his style. It actually has his best beats on it if we compare the Gang Starr albums, but it's not accessible. SITA, Form Of Intellect, Who's Gonna Take The Weight, Check The Technique, Beyond Comprehension, Just To Get A Rep, What You Want This Time..all 5/5 beats

  4. #34
    -
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,736
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    I don't care what you say and what DJ Premier said. I told you what my favorite Gang Starr albums are. Step In The Arena, No More Mr Nice Guy, The Ownerz albums i don't like. Props to DJ Premier on the skit he did on The Ownerz when he said hey yo. What the fuck is this shit ya'll are listening to nowadays on the radio man? You call that shit hip hop? That's some faggot bitch shit ya'll are listening to hahahahahahahahaha. All you dj's are letting the program directors handcuff you and telling you how to mix. You fucking robots LOL. Fuck ya'll LOL.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THE GENIUS View Post
    Lol what are you talking about? DJ Premier himself said that Step In The Arena was his favorite work. If you listen you can hear he is trying to figure out his style. It actually has his best beats on it if we compare the Gang Starr albums, but it's not accessible. SITA, Form Of Intellect, Who's Gonna Take The Weight, Check The Technique, Beyond Comprehension, Just To Get A Rep, What You Want This Time..all 5/5 beats
    no, Hard To Earn had the best beats.

    end of story.

  6. #36
    -
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,736
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Thank you. Moment Of Truth and Daily Operation albums have a lot of good beats.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thank you. Moment Of Truth and Daily Operation albums have a lot of good beats.
    all GangStarr albuns have good beats, after all its vintage Preemo, but I think Hard To Eard is their ultimate classic.

    Guru also always had a cool voice, flow and rhymes.

  8. #38
    -
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    40
    Posts
    17,736
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    I disagree that all Gang Starr albums have good beats. DJ Premier is my favorite producer though. Props to you for what you said about Guru. I remember a long time ago Guru was dissed on here by several people saying that his rhymes suck. He's one of my favorite rappers and i miss him. I was surprised when he died. I was listening to Gang Starr's greatest hits double cd this morning.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I disagree that all Gang Starr albums have good beats. DJ Premier is my favorite producer though. Props to you for what you said about Guru. I remember a long time ago Guru was dissed on here by several people saying that his rhymes suck. He's one of my favorite rappers and i miss him. I was surprised when he died. I was listening to Gang Starr's greatest hits double cd this morning.
    Guru was always a BOSS, he was always relaxed, he rhymed with confident and authority but without sounding agressive.

    maybe Guru wasnt so famous if it wasnt for Premier, but in my opinion, Guru was also a strong force on GangStarr.

    maybe the worst Gangstarr album in term of beats is No More Mr Nice Guy, but even in that album I can appreciate some beats.

    I just dont like 80% of todays Premier production, for exemple, I dont like the kind of beats like "You" he made for Evidence´s LP, that kind of beats doesnt have soul in my opinion, on the other and I love the "The Epiologue" beat he made for the same album, altough is kind of a sad beat, and I like the funky Preemo beats.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •