Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city"

Default Thoughts on Kendrick Lamar's "good kid m.A.A.d city"

First off. Don't merge this with any other kendrick thread because its a totally different take on the album and we all know most threads aint shit past the 1st page because of derailment.

So i got this album in the mail 2 days ago which brings me to my first point...

1. People who checked for individual tracks off this album before the entire thing dropped LOST!

People who waited like myself to hear it in its entirety (preferably after copping it) WON!

It obvious that this is an album you need to hear the whole way through especially the 1st 3 spins at least till you get familiar with the storyline.

2. Fuck waiting to call it a classic. This is classic to me and i have no doubt that this will be regarded as an important album 10 years from now by a great artist. This is genius not only beacause of the tracks but because of the little details in the story telling like how the beat from "Sherane" sneaks up on you after "poetic justice" to tell you were at the part of the story were the guys in hoodies are waiting to fuck with Kendrick. There are many more examples of similar great moments in the story telling.

3. I can't explain how glad i am that lady gaga (i feel stupid writing that cunt's name) wasn't on here. This would literally have lowered the album significantly for me. Phew, we dodged that bullet!

4. What does the m.A.A.d part in the title mean/stand for?

5. People who like this album and didnt cop should hang themselves!

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

The art of peer pressure & Good Kid are the weak links on here, I'm definitely not giving this a classic rating, production on some of the tracks could've been better with the label he's on, the recipe>compton..it's a good lp though, would give it 4 stars...skits at the end of each track are too long, should've been separate from the song itself. Sing about me/dying of thirst should've been two songs, dying of thirst is ok.....overall a solid lp. Lyrically this is 5 stars though.

I agree on the recipe being better than compton!

i do like those tracks you mentioned disliking though.

edit: To me compton is like the song you hear when the credits are rolling after an amazing movie. and thats how i listen to it.
    Last edited by cap; 11-01-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    The art of peer pressure & Good Kid are the weak links on here, I'm definitely not giving this a classic rating, production on some of the tracks could've been better with the label he's on, the recipe>compton..it's a good lp though, would give it 4 stars...skits at the end of each track are too long, should've been separate from the song itself. Sing about me/dying of thirst should've been two songs, dying of thirst is ok.....overall a solid lp. Lyrically this is 5 stars though.
    +1 Exactly my thoughts. Some production here and there could be better, but Kendrick does his thing like a boss.
    bring back begongo!!

..... it's ok, a bit better than Section.80, that's about it.

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

Great album Money Trees and Sing About Me are 5 stars

The Art of Peer Pressure's probably my favourite track on here.

"Me and the homies..."
    Slept On!

Wu Vatican

nice piece of work. very pleased with this shit.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

DuncanHine Monument Cakes CEITEDMOFO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    The art of peer pressure & Good Kid are the weak links on here
    FAG GOOD KID IS CLASSIC

LP IS CLASSICaL

Yes, its a classic. I love listening to it from beginning to end. I would say that my favorite is m.A.A.d city, just love how the beat changes up.

also, m.A.A.d stands for either "my angel's on angel dust" or "my angry adolescence divided"

"It's two, two meanings. The first is 'my angry adolescence divided,' and the basic standout meaning is 'my angel's on angel dust.' That's the reason why I don't smoke," he said. "That was me. I got laced. The reason I don't smoke, and it's in the album. It's in the story. It was just me getting my hands on the wrong thing at the wrong time, being oblivious to it."

Stop throwing words around like classic. Classic is a masterpiece, y'all say classic everytime you like something.

36 Chambers - Classic
    Illmatic - Classic
    The Low End Theory - Classic
    This new album - not yet, imo never will be.

Is your vocabulary that limited that you need to say classic everytime something ok released? The word classic here means bad, ok or (pretty) good. Real classic - masterpiece, timeless, I'll bump this shit in 10 years like it was yesterday.

Banned

this is basically the My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy of the year. it's a critical darling, and it may or may not live up to acclaim in the future, but because the sounds is different, people are easily impressed

I'm not saying critics don't have a legit reason to dick ride Lamar, because he may really be that good, but right now I just see him as a very good lyricist. however, I can see his albums getting boring if they all follow this record's blueprint

DuncanHine Monument Cakes CEITEDMOFO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THE GENIUS View Post
    Stop throwing words around like classic. Classic is a masterpiece, y'all say classic everytime you like something.

36 Chambers - Classic
    Illmatic - Classic
    The Low End Theory - Classic
    This new album - not yet, imo never will be.

Is your vocabulary that limited that you need to say classic everytime something ok released? The word classic here means bad, ok or (pretty) good. Real classic - masterpiece, timeless, I'll bump this shit in 10 years like it was yesterday.

este sitio es una mierda drippie k's Avatar

this album is the shit but no one will ever know if people will still talk about it 10-15 years from now. stop calling it a classic and stop calling it not a classic. it's the shit tho
    cash rules. still don't nothin move but the money