once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 104

Thread: to not believe in the God of scripture is.....illogical?

  1. #31

    Default

    I read today that roughly 40 percent of American's believe God created humans in his image and a further 35 odd percent believe that evolution happened but it was directed by a God.

    In a country like this, how can you not expect this kind of desperation to prove something which cannot be proven (or disproven for that matter).

    There are some very intelligent individuals who argue well against even the astutest atheists. But their strength is obfuscating the fact that there is no proof for believing in this concept/hypothesis. They rely on the argument that there is more proof for the existence of God than proof that God does not exist. Which is a completely different thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    i emailed the faggot too
    i await a retort
    haha, that's great.

    Quote Originally Posted by THE W View Post
    except im a christian who does not live in fear. why would i need to live in fear?

    why do you you THINK i live in fear?
    Why would a Christian live in fear? Life and death is nothing if you subscribe the Judeo-Christian concept of eternal existence.



  2. #32
    Ridin' On Trichomes soul controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chillin on sesame street puffin a 10th letter
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,276
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    rakim. i peeped ur kindle post.. i think u would really enjoy the work of this guy..

    im not as versed in the greek classics as yourself.. soo

    help me out ?

    is he on point?? with the greek stuff..

    http://www.youtube.com/user/mrastrotheology





  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post

    a buddhist thinks its wrong to eat any animal.

    incorrect

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    different species have different moralities which suit there existence.

    .
    instinct and morality aint da same

  5. #35

    Default

    How do you know morality isn't an instinct?

    You're right, they're not the same thing, but how do you know instinct doesn't determine morality?



  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canibusfan420 View Post
    How do you know morality isn't an instinct?

    You're right, they're not the same thing, but how do you know instinct doesn't determine morality?
    thats a good point.
    afta finkin about it
    i'd say instincts govern morality

    perhaps thats why hypocrisy is purely human

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    i watched some of the video but he was very boring so i stopped.

    and then i went onto his website and realised he was a retard.

    i said there was no such thing as absolute morality.

    this can easily be explained by the fact that different species have different moralities which suit there existence.

    a lion thinks its good to eat his prey.

    a buddhist thinks its wrong to eat any animal.

    however the website started rambling on about pedophiles without giving a well thought out argument.

    it couldve mentioned kants categorical imperative but no it didnt.

    truly retarded.
    I don't know what your understanding of morality is but you use the word inappropriately a lot.

    How can you possibly have read and understood Kant's Categorical Imperative without understanding what the word "morality" means? What on earth does the categorical imperative have to do with your concept of morality in animals? Kant always argued from the position that morality was uniquely human....



  8. #38
    Non Ignorant Math Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    i'll look into soul. i know a lot more about romans than greeks. i never studied greek. i can translate latin and i can scan the metre in latin poetry but i never looked into greek or roman astrology.

    hes calling mercury his latin name throughout instead of his greek name hermes. mercury was the messenger god and a trickster god. hes referenced a lot in alchemy.

    the zodiac system came from greco-roman astrology but ive heard that there were originally 13 zodiac signs but they changed it to 12 because christains like the number 12


    NON-IGS

  9. #39
    Non Ignorant Math Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canibusfan420 View Post
    I don't know what your understanding of morality is but you use the word inappropriately a lot.

    How can you possibly have read and understood Kant's Categorical Imperative without understanding what the word "morality" means? What on earth does the categorical imperative have to do with your concept of morality in animals? Kant always argued from the position that morality was uniquely human....
    was the categorical imperative not this.

    "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction."

    this could be tied into absolute morality. an absolute morality would contain maxims that could become a universal law without contradiction.

    this is better reasoning than going on a rant about child molesters.

    morality is the belief that there are good and wrong actions.


    NON-IGS

  10. #40
    Non Ignorant Math Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.projectile View Post
    instinct and morality aint da same
    instinct is an innate inclination/behaviour

    morality is the belief that certain things/actions/ideas are good and that others are bad/evil
    Last edited by cj wisty; 11-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.


    NON-IGS

  11. #41
    Non Ignorant Math Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.projectile View Post
    incorrect
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi.../animals.shtml

    buddhists believe in causing as little harm in the world as is possible. therefore being a vegetarian is deemed better than eating animals.


    NON-IGS

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D.projectile View Post
    thats a good point.
    afta finkin about it
    i'd say instincts govern morality

    perhaps thats why hypocrisy is purely human
    It's tricky though, because the idea that humans have subverted or overcome instinct is often accepted as fact, but it's difficult to determine. It's true that we are aware of our instinct, which most likely separates us from other animals, but that could just be retroactive reasoning as a product of our relative intelligence.

    The concept of morality might be purely a reinforcement mechanism, whereby actions positively contributing to the perpetuation of our species are good, with the opposite being true of unproductive behaviour.

    This kind of stuff is a quagmire of confusion as far as i'm concerned. Which is why when people make absolutist claims relating to morality they need to be questioned.



  13. #43
    Ridin' On Trichomes soul controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chillin on sesame street puffin a 10th letter
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,276
    Rep Power
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    i'll look into soul. i know a lot more about romans than greeks. i never studied greek. i can translate latin and i can scan the metre in latin poetry but i never looked into greek or roman astrology.

    hes calling mercury his latin name throughout instead of his greek name hermes. mercury was the messenger god and a trickster god. hes referenced a lot in alchemy.

    the zodiac system came from greco-roman astrology but ive heard that there were originally 13 zodiac signs but they changed it to 12 because christains like the number 12

    he uses a lot of roman mythology too. yeah the 13th zodiac started with P, i cant recall its name atm.. thankyou bud

  14. #44
    Non Ignorant Math Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    u can easily see morality in animals. such as dog training. u teach ur dog what is good and what is bad.


    NON-IGS

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    was the categorical imperative not this.

    "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction."

    this could be tied into absolute morality. an absolute morality would contain maxims that could become a universal law without contradiction.

    this is better reasoning than going on a rant about child molesters.

    morality is the belief that there are good and wrong actions.
    I agree that enlightenment era philosophy trumps BC era philosophy... that should be a given (well, not in this forum obviously, but everywhere else).

    And yes, the categorical imperative is absolutist.... and? What does it have to do with your point about morality extending to other species?

    As you said, morality is a concept of "right" and "wrong".... how would you apply this to non human animal behaviour?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •