Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Alert: You May Be Living in a Simulated Universe

  1. #1
    Ridin' On Trichomes soul controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chillin on sesame street puffin a 10th letter
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,179
    Rep Power
    80

    Default Alert: You May Be Living in a Simulated Universe

    Alert: You May Be Living in a Simulated Universe

    By Geraint Lewis
    University of Sydney




    So, how can we know if we are part of a computer simulation? (Sebastian Kaulitzki/Photos.com)

    As a cosmologist, I often carry around a universe or two in my pocket. Not entire, infinitely large universes, but maybe a few billion light years or so across. Enough to be interesting.
    Of course, these are not “real” universes; rather they are universes I have simulated on a computer.
    The basic idea of simulating a universe is quite simple. You need “initial conditions” which, for me, is the state of the universe just after the Big Bang.


    To this, you add the laws of physics, such as: how gravity pulls on mass, how gas flows into galaxies, and how stars are born, live and die.
    You press “go”, and then sit back as the computer calculates all of the complex interactions, and evolves the universe over cosmic time.
    A wonderful description by Andrew Pontzen on how astronomers synthesize and study their very own galaxies and universes.
    What’s more fun is playing “Master of the Universe”, and messing about with the laws of physics, such as changing the properties of gravity, or how black holes swallow matter. Waiting to see the outcome of these mutated universes is always interesting.

    I know in my heart that these universes are nothing more than ones and zeros buried within my computer, but in the movies I make of my evolving galaxies and clusters, and the one embedded further down in this article, I can see the mass moving around. It looks real!
    Computer simulations of complex phenomena are everywhere in science, and cosmologists aren’t the only ones that marvel at synthetic chunks of the real universe.

    It is equally inspiring to watch the flow of air around a newly-designed wing, or how individual molecules make their way through a biological membrane, and such simulations have revolutionized science.
    Of course, these advances have only occurred with the growth of computer power over the last few decades, and the push is always towards the inclusion of more complex physics over an immense range of scales, from the cosmological to the quantum.
    We are always limited by the power of computing, but as computers get bigger and faster, so does the detail within our synthetic universes.
    “Cosmologists aren’t the only ones that marvel at synthetic chunks of the real universe.”

    But let’s imagine a time in the future, a time when computers are powerful enough to fully simulate a human brain, with its vast array of interconnected neurons.
    These neurons obey the laws of physics, and fire as their chemical balances change. Thoughts would echo around this synthetic brain, with electrical signals coursing backwards and forwards.
    Not being a philosopher, I will ignore the (seemingly endless) debates about free will and consciousness, but if you take a purely mechanical view of the human brain, the synthetic brain will be as “alive” as the organic brain that made it.

    Fed with the stimulus from a synthetic body interacting with a synthetic universe, it will experience pain and fear, happiness and love, even boredom and drowsiness.

    There are, in fact, some that believe we will all be reborn in a glorious future, where computers are powerful enough to recreate everyone who has ever lived, and then sustain them for eternity.
    While this vision of heaven is touted as the Final Anthropic Principle, some have more bluntly labelled it the “Completely Ridiculous Anthropic Principle”, or C.R.A.P. for short.

    But we may not have to wait until the distant future!
    “In simulations, I can see the mass moving around. It looks real!”
    To quote the late, great Douglas Adams, “there is another theory which states that this has already happened”.
    Not that someone on Earth, or even within our universe, has created a truly synthetic universe, complete with beings that are clueless to the fact they are nothing but part of a computer experiment.
    No, the startling realization is that we, our very existence, every thing we have seen, have experienced, or will ever experience, could be nothing but the chugging of bits in an unimaginable supercomputer.

    As I type this on a laptop, and stare out the train window at the station rolling past, at the people, the trees, the dirt on the ground, surely I would know if I was part of a computer program?
    But then again, my brain is simply processing inputs, and if the simulated inputs fed into my simulated brain are good enough, how would I know?
    It is important to remember that this picture is different to the “Brain-in-a-vat” presented in the Matrix movies. There, an organic brain is fed information, recreating the synthetic world in which the characters find themselves.
    Instead, our picture is that there is no organic brain. We are part of the matrix itself.

    So, how can we know if we are part of a computer simulation?
    It is important to remember our earthly computers are limited in the way they can represent real numbers, holding only a finite number of digits for typical calculations.
    What this means is that my simulated universes are quantized in some sense, with the limited resolution imprinted in the details of the structure that is produced.
    If we are living in a computer simulation, then maybe such resolution effects are apparent to us. Our world doesn’t look like the Minecraft universe, and so we expect the resolution scale to be smaller than the scale of individual atoms, rather than large, foot-cubed blocks.
    Just last month, researchers from the University of Bonn, Germany suggested we can detect such “chunkiness” of the small scale by looking how high-energy particles, known as cosmic rays, traverse huge distances in the universe. As these rays bounce through this space, their energy properties get modified, and by looking at what arrives on Earth, we can work out the size of the chunks.
    But there are problems with this idea.

    Firstly, we are working under the assumption that the computer we live in operates like an everyday computer. But these everyday computers are governed by the laws of physics of the synthetic universe in which we reside.
    The unimaginably powerful computer that hosts our universe may operate in ways we cannot even think about.
    The resolution scale of our universe is considerably smaller than in the “chunky” Minecraft universe.
    Another problem is that those trying to understand the nature of the very small have already proposed a quantized backdrop of space and time in which we live.
    Is the existence of such a space-time simply a property of a real universe, or the tell-tale sign of a synthetic one? How can we ever tell them apart? Do we even want to?
    One way of potentially detecting the real nature of the universe is to search for the extraordinary – or, in the words of my children, who play video games, glitches–where the program doesn’t do as expected.
    Related Articles





    Perhaps some of the unexplained things we cannot yet explain are simply glitches in the program (although I am a fan of illusionist Derren Brown and think the human mind can be easily tricked).
    The other alternative is more drastic.
    When my synthetic universes are running, they can abruptly come to a halt for a variety of reasons, such as disk-space filling up, errors in the memory, or something as simple as the cleaner unplugging the computer to vacuum the floor.
    If my synthetic universe is running when the power goes out, it simply ceases to exist.
    I do hope the cleaners of our potential-hyperdimensional-universe-simulating overlords are more careful.
    This article was originally published by The Conversation.

  2. #2
    No artificial sleazy
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    46,540
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    When it comes to some of the simulations scientists or game developers create, i recently learned while watching some MIT open courses on algorithms

    .. that raw computing speed isnt the 'end all'

    Thats what some of these authors covering this theory seem to gloss over

    It really depends on the math and engineering principles that are applied when writing one. If the algorithm is well thought out, with scalability and other contraints in mind, it will process inputs that grow exponentially more complex better than say a different algorithm running on a supercomputer.

    You could be using a Pentium II and still beat the other.

    Developers pushing the PS3 beyond what they thought were once its limits is a good example.
    Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 12-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.

  3. #3
    Non Ignorants Eckankar check two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    42,389
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I like the fat black man on House Of Payne and he's very funny.





  4. #4
    No artificial sleazy
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    46,540
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    The first working brain simulation? Spaun (Semantic Pointer Architecture Unified Network) has attracted a good deal of interested coverage.


    http://machineslikeus.com/news/spaun

  5. #5
    BIG OPINION, BIGGER LOAD TSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LITville, USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    37,581
    Rep Power
    144

    Default

    The Nigga robb digi smells like a rare VR-Troopers DVDs and a lactating butt hole

  6. #6

    Default

    lol @ all this

  7. #7
    BIG OPINION, BIGGER LOAD TSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    LITville, USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    37,581
    Rep Power
    144

    Default

    Drunken Spunk's butthole hates his dick

  8. #8

  9. #9
    ☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀ KERZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Posts
    8,471
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    No soul, you are living in a simulated rat maze.






  10. #10
    Ridin' On Trichomes soul controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chillin on sesame street puffin a 10th letter
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,179
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    When it comes to some of the simulations scientists or game developers create, i recently learned while watching some MIT open courses on algorithms

    .. that raw computing speed isnt the 'end all'

    Thats what some of these authors covering this theory seem to gloss over

    It really depends on the math and engineering principles that are applied when writing one. If the algorithm is well thought out, with scalability and other contraints in mind, it will process inputs that grow exponentially more complex better than say a different algorithm running on a supercomputer.

    You could be using a Pentium II and still beat the other.

    Developers pushing the PS3 beyond what they thought were once its limits is a good example.

    electricity in the universe, works like our neural network, it operates outside our visible spectrum (check how all the planets/suns/centre of each galaxy has huge magnetic jets/magnetic ribbons linking them altogether) in fact everything nasa is announcing, it indeed pointing to the universe being electric..

    i know u dont want me to turn another topic into fractals/fibonacci/dna(holographic)

    but those are part of the programming (algorithms)languages for this simulation,.

    Galaxy map hints at fractal universe
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-universe.html


    The Holographic Universe: Is Our 3D World Just an Illusion?

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/7...ory/72804.html


    World’s Most Precise Clocks Could Reveal Universe Is a Hologram

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72804.html


    i have plenty of links.. lol books are better tho

    Fibonacci series a mystery sequence and nature universe



    DAN WINTERS RESEARCH !!! (is it teh same dan winter as doomsdan????)
    http://goldenmean.info/

    http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monk View Post
    lol @ all this

    indeed, i posted the article as it was written in an amusing way, it wasnt too serious....

    but factually... how do you get to view this reality as real??
    its just electrical signals decoded by your brain,.

    this may help.


  11. #11
    Ridin' On Trichomes soul controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chillin on sesame street puffin a 10th letter
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,179
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    everything is electro magnetic


    Electrical device plugs directly into trees for power

    Researchers have discovered that there's enough power in living trees to run an electric circuit.
    http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadget...rees-for-power


    still we will never(in the current paradigm) see any zero point shit, cos they cant make meaningless cash off it then..

  12. #12
    Ridin' On Trichomes soul controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chillin on sesame street puffin a 10th letter
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,179
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    posted this in nerd news some time time ago..



    "Doubly-even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block code," first invented by Claude Shannon in the 1940's, has been discovered embedded WITHIN the equations of superstring theory!

    Why does nature have this? What errors does it need to correct? What is an 'error' for nature? More importantly what is the explanation for this freakish discovery? Your guess is as good as mine.

    References
    1.) Recent NPR interview with Professor Gates: http://being.publicradio.org/programs/2012/codes-for-reality/gates-symbolsofp...
    2.) Gates original paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.0051
    3.) A potential explanation, Bostrom's Simulation Hypothesis: http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

  13. #13
    Ridin' On Trichomes soul controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chillin on sesame street puffin a 10th letter
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,179
    Rep Power
    80

    Default

    I forgot about this short docu, its the best one ive seen, explains it very concisely



    Holographic Parallel Universes The Real Matrix

  14. #14
    ☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀ KERZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Posts
    8,471
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    can someone who doesn't have shit to do please read these posts, watch the videos, follow the links and summarize anything that may be of importance/interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by sole controller View Post
    electricity in the universe, works like our neural network, it operates outside our visible spectrum (check how all the planets/suns/centre of each galaxy has huge magnetic jets/magnetic ribbons linking them altogether) in fact everything nasa is announcing, it indeed pointing to the universe being electric..

    i know u dont want me to turn another topic into fractals/fibonacci/dna(holographic)

    but those are part of the programming (algorithms)languages for this simulation,.

    Galaxy map hints at fractal universe
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-universe.html


    The Holographic Universe: Is Our 3D World Just an Illusion?

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/7...ory/72804.html


    World’s Most Precise Clocks Could Reveal Universe Is a Hologram

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72804.html


    i have plenty of links.. lol books are better tho

    Fibonacci series a mystery sequence and nature universe



    DAN WINTERS RESEARCH !!! (is it teh same dan winter as doomsdan????)
    http://goldenmean.info/

    http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/




    indeed, i posted the article as it was written in an amusing way, it wasnt too serious....

    but factually... how do you get to view this reality as real??
    its just electrical signals decoded by your brain,.

    this may help.

    Quote Originally Posted by sole controller View Post
    everything is electro magnetic


    Electrical device plugs directly into trees for power

    Researchers have discovered that there's enough power in living trees to run an electric circuit.
    http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadget...rees-for-power


    still we will never(in the current paradigm) see any zero point shit, cos they cant make meaningless cash off it then..
    Quote Originally Posted by sole controller View Post
    posted this in nerd news some time time ago..



    "Doubly-even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block code," first invented by Claude Shannon in the 1940's, has been discovered embedded WITHIN the equations of superstring theory!

    Why does nature have this? What errors does it need to correct? What is an 'error' for nature? More importantly what is the explanation for this freakish discovery? Your guess is as good as mine.

    References
    1.) Recent NPR interview with Professor Gates: http://being.publicradio.org/programs/2012/codes-for-reality/gates-symbolsofp...
    2.) Gates original paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.0051
    3.) A potential explanation, Bostrom's Simulation Hypothesis: http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
    Quote Originally Posted by sole controller View Post
    I forgot about this short docu, its the best one ive seen, explains it very concisely



    Holographic Parallel Universes The Real Matrix






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •