once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Am... > It Was Written

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunkyDrummer View Post
    OK. This is bullshit. Everyone knows It Was Written is 10x more lyrical. Nas at his best, you can find it on It Was Written. Wow man Nas Is Like? The lyrics are average. Don't attack me for saying that, think for a second. What the fuck is lyrical about comparing yourself to other things. I can do that, it's not difficult. Premier kills that, not Nas.

To be honest you can also find Nas at his best on I Am..Tracks like NY State Of Mind (Part II) & Undying Love prove this. It Was Written has more of these moments and less filler altho it still has way more filler than Illmatic which has none. Beats on I Am.. for the most part trash.

One of the biggest gay tracks in hiphop was recorded with I Am... KISSING. How can you rap shit like that after making 2 great albums.

Vinnie Paz does not have the best ear for beats. He happened to know a legend like Stoupe. Vinnie Paz - Stoupe = terrible. Common has a great ear for beats, but nowadays he has average production.
    I actually think the best lyrical song from I Am is "Ghetto Prisoners." One of the most overlooked tracks in Nas's catalog. So, give me some examples of songs from IWW that are lyrical brilliance. The only two that come to mind for me are Suspect and I Gave You Power. Most of the songs tread the same territory.

I Am has some of the worst production and corniest concepts ever... /rant

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

I definitely think I Am is underrated but in no way better than IWW,

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KJR View Post
    I actually think the best lyrical song from I Am is "Ghetto Prisoners." One of the most overlooked tracks in Nas's catalog. So, give me some examples of songs from IWW that are lyrical brilliance. The only two that come to mind for me are Suspect and I Gave You Power. Most of the songs tread the same territory.
    I Gave You Power is actually not what comes to mind since OK's Stray Bullet had originally used that concept,
    Take It In Blood, The Message and The Set Up would be better examples This was an album where he was shooting at commercial appeal (Street Dreams, If I Ruled the World) and pulling it off as opposed to I Am (Money Is My Bitch, Dr Knockboot, which were kinda corny even then)

I Am would also be a classic LP if the original version had come out, the retail version was very good but nowhere near as good as his first two, which are in my opinion his only two classics

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

lol is the op noel's secondary?

retarded thread.
    We do it for the people.

"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunkyDrummer View Post
    OK. This is bullshit. Everyone knows It Was Written is 10x more lyrical. Nas at his best, you can find it on It Was Written. Wow man Nas Is Like? The lyrics are average. Don't attack me for saying that, think for a second. What the fuck is lyrical about comparing yourself to other things. I can do that, it's not difficult. Premier kills that, not Nas.

To be honest you can also find Nas at his best on I Am..Tracks like NY State Of Mind (Part II) & Undying Love prove this. It Was Written has more of these moments and less filler altho it still has way more filler than Illmatic which has none. Beats on I Am.. for the most part trash.

One of the biggest gay tracks in hiphop was recorded with I Am... KISSING. How can you rap shit like that after making 2 great albums.

Vinnie Paz does not have the best ear for beats. He happened to know a legend like Stoupe. Vinnie Paz - Stoupe = terrible. Common has a great ear for beats, but nowadays he has average production.

avg?? damn man you're a tough critic.
    Non Ignorants

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    lol is the op noel's secondary?

retarded thread.
    Oh come on bro, I'm not THAT bad.

IWW has great raps and great flow, I just think the lyrical content of I Am far overshadows IWW. The beats are definitely better as a whole on IWW though.

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER BEARDLY View Post
    avg?? damn man you're a tough critic.
    Lol that might be true, but rapping that you're like Earth, Wind and Fire doesn't make me think. No one would talk about that tracks lyrics if it wasn't for Premier making that beat with that ill sample.