once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!

Thread: Happy 19th Birthday Illmatic!

Default Happy 19th Birthday Illmatic!

Happy Birthday to what is widely considered the greatest hip hop album of all time! Feel free to share your own thoughts on anything Illmatic/Nas related in this thread. One love my Wu-Corpers.

Lol, why not do this at the 20 year anniversary instead of the 19th. Just imagine to have a similar thread every year. Definitely an amazing album, used to be my favorite album of all time. All time classic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunkyDrummer View Post
    Lol, why not do this at the 20 year anniversary instead of the 19th. Just imagine to have a similar thread every year. Definitely an amazing album, used to be my favorite album of all time. All time classic.
    Illmatic deserves a thread every year.

What's your fav album of all time right now? (Also, what's your fav Illmatic track)

I don't know about my favorite Illmatic track, could be any track except for The Genesis & One Time For Your Mind. Right now my favorite is probably The World Is Yours or One Love.

Liquid Swords is my favorite album.

Old Head, Young Shoulders laolu's Avatar

This is my favourite Hip-Hop album of all time.

One of the greatest of all times.

-

Classic album and i like the album pictures. Nice album cover of him when he was a kid. I love the songs NY State Of Mind, Life's A Bitch(i like The Gap Band's Yearning For Your Love sample), The World Is Yours original version and the remix that QTip produced which i wish was on the album, Halftime, One Love, One Time For Your Mind, Represent, It Ain't Hard To Tell. Too bad Illmatic is his only good album LOL. Illmatic is in my top 5 for the best rap albums of all time.

^Really? You didn't like God's Son or Lost Tapes? Those albums were amazing imo.

nada ignorante

It was written is classic too. I cant believe this nigga said ILLmatic is Nas only good album.
    N.I.

Stillmatic is definitely one of the classics of our genre. Everything about this album is perfect from the rhymes which hit spot on how hard the ghetto life is to the production which is aggressive as well as acceptable. Tracks like "The World is Yours" and "One Time 4 Your Mind" showcase this perfectly with such lines as "I'm out for dead presidents to represent me" and "I shot my way out my ma dukes", easily an instant classic.

People bought this and listened to this shit for a reason, Illmatic is definately one of the best to done it and it's anniversary is way justified. Congratulations Illmatic!

Quote Originally Posted by MistaBPL View Post
    Stillmatic is definitely one of the classics of our genre. Everything about this album is perfect from the rhymes which hit spot on how hard the ghetto life is to the production which is aggressive as well as acceptable. Tracks like "The World is Yours" and "One Time 4 Your Mind" showcase this perfectly with such lines as "I'm out for dead presidents to represent me" and "I shot my way out my ma dukes", easily an instant classic.

People bought this and listened to this shit for a reason, Illmatic is definately one of the best to done it and it's anniversary is way justified. Congratulations Illmatic!
    So now I gotta ask, what are your thoughts on Stillmatic?

-

No i didn't like God's Son and The Lost Tapes. It Was Written isn't a classic. Live Nigga Rap with Mobb Deep is the best song on It Was Written. I didn't like Stillmatic except intro, Ether, One Mic, 2nd Childhood. Nas is one of my favorite rappers but i don't like his albums after Illmatic because of beats. It's very disappointing to me that him and AZ are very good and they suck at picking good beats. I don't understand how Nas can have good beats on Illmatic but don't have good beats on his other albums. I have the same problem with Cormega who is also a good rapper. The Firm album sucked because of bad beats.