Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay-Z new album "Magna Carta Holy Grail"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Belding View Post

ahahahaha this is cringeworthy
    lmao, why's he dressed like an extra from Star Trek The Next Generation?

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

It's not like he's doing it just to do it, it's the video for the song.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

The artist in me gets a kick out of hearing all of the references in Picasso Baby. Im pretty sure Rothko and Koons have never been referenced in a hip-hop song.
    My problem, though, is that uneasy feeling that he's talking about these works of art like he would a new watch or new car, strictly as a commodity. At the end of the day I guess it's better than nothing, at least he has art on his walls and not just plaques and jerseys.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Thats exactly it. Picasso is the most famous artist with the most expensive paintings therefore to jay-z hes immediately the best. Lmao.

Peace CT

Halfway thru the album. "Heaven" is the closest thing to a Wu track without any Wu direct involvement maybe ever. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Koons have never been referenced in a hip-hop song.
    Pretty sure they have...

- KP -

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    Thats exactly it. Picasso is the most famous artist with the most expensive paintings therefore to jay-z hes immediately the best. Lmao.
    Well at least it can be argued that Picasso is the best, if there's such a thing, but I get what you're saying. Basquiat seems to be his favorite, which makes sense considering his ties to the early hip-hop scene.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Yeah he also mentions warhol a lot. Warhol and basquiat both stink imo. Id rather have some spinning rims...

Warhol and basquiat both stink imo.
    What makes you say that?
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Personal taste.

Warhol invented hipsters lol. Some of basquiats stuff is okay but overrated and i don't like it when hes referred to as graffiti, same with banksy. The main thing i don't like is the way the art looks. Thats a deal breaker for me when im looking at a visual medium.

I know they were important in their own ways for their styles. Anyway i think jay-z just likes them because they cost a lot. Bragging about having that tacky shit hanging on your wall? Please.

Veteran Member

It may be more strategic than that. Jay Z making these references links him with greatness and could make him seem great and sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by diggy View Post
    It may be more strategic than that. Jay Z making these references links him with greatness and could make him seem great and sophisticated.
    Obviously. He calls himself the modern day pablo on that song. Infact hes a bum that doesn't have a fraction of Bob Ross' artistic vision.

No artificial sleazy

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue Bally Kid View Post
    lmao, why's he dressed like an extra from Star Trek The Next Generation?
    Because he's waiting for the scientologists to pick him up in the mothership.

They need a camel to store water on Mars or whatever POS planet they land on.

Personal taste.

Warhol invented hipsters lol. Some of basquiats stuff is okay but overrated and i don't like it when hes referred to as graffiti, same with banksy. The main thing i don't like is the way the art looks. Thats a deal breaker for me when im looking at a visual medium.

I know they were important in their own ways for their styles. Anyway i think jay-z just likes them because they cost a lot. Bragging about having that tacky shit hanging on your wall? Please.
    LOL I think we can give Warhol credit for a little more than that, but if you don't like the way it looks then there really not much I can argue against. I will argue against it being tacky though.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Belding View Post
    Because he's waiting for the scientologists to pick him up in the mothership.

They need a camel to store water on Mars or whatever POS planet they land on.

- KP -