once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Production on Reunited

  1. #1

    Question Production on Reunited

    Peace y'all!

    Does anyone of you have any infos on how that song was produced? Any interview piece or sth like that? Did RZA actually compose the violin part? Or did he just hire that violinist, gave her some direction and then she did her thing?
    I'm wondering because it's just such an awesome thrilling musically supreme composition. But back then, to my knowledge, RZA didn't know too much about "music" in terms of writing notes and stuff...
    Well, even though I regard RZA as a musical genius to some extent: It would really surprise me if he pulled it off like that!

    On a related issue:
    Who really came up with that strange rumor that there are only four samples on Forever? Did RZA himself say so?

    Peace.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member WuBizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Hood
    Posts
    554
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Yea, I would love to know more about Reunited also. I do know that the violins were provided by famed hip hop violinist Miri Ben-Ari. Also, the video, which never was released commercially, features GZA's former manager Angela Yee, of Power 105's Breakfast Club:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40a5UNO5T44
    Last edited by WuBizzie; 08-07-2013 at 07:32 AM.

  3. #3
    PRODIGAL SUN soob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Końskie, Poland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I've wondered about that many times too... I think RZA didn't write the notes as a whole. He just gave her tips how it should sound to get sound of the Wu and she did it. It doesn't mean that he didn't have a major contribution to this though.

    "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuBizzie View Post
    Yea, I would love to know more about Reunited also. I do know that the violins were provided by famed hip hop violinist Miri Ben-Ari. Also, the video, which never was released commercially, features GZA's former manager Angela Yee, of Power 105's Breakfast Club:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40a5UNO5T44
    Heard that too about Miri Ben-Ari. But is that really true though? I know it says so on her Wikipedia page and all, but except for some likely copy/pastes I did not find any independent evidence for this. Considering her DOB and what it say on her bio part of the wiki page (came to NY after serving the Isreali army - which as far as I know - is two years), it does not seem so super likely that it's her. If so, Wu would have basically discovered her (I think all the feature tracks in her discog are newer than Reunited)...

    Peace.

  5. #5
    SHAOLIN STUDENT
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Abidjan
    Posts
    391
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It seems that RZA whistled the tune and let the violinist did his shit. He said that somewhere. I do think the violinist did his own thing based on the tune Rza whistled.

  6. #6
    Wu-Tang Martial Expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Heaven or hell.....
    Posts
    1,049
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I thought it was Miri Ben Ari or Bjork.....
    "A SPACE KNIGHT LIKE ROM, CONSUME PLANETS LIKE UNICRON, BLASTIN' PHOTON BOMBS FROM THE ARM LIKE GALVATRON......"


  7. #7

    Default

    I like the "Reunited" beat much more than the "Triumph" beat.

  8. #8

    Default

    Yeah, Reunited was banging every where when Wu Tang Forever came out.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron97 View Post
    I thought it was Miri Ben Ari or Bjork.....
    Bjork? LOL

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamal Arief View Post
    Peace y'all!

    Does anyone of you have any infos on how that song was produced? Any interview piece or sth like that? Did RZA actually compose the violin part? Or did he just hire that violinist, gave her some direction and then she did her thing?
    I'm wondering because it's just such an awesome thrilling musically supreme composition. But back then, to my knowledge, RZA didn't know too much about "music" in terms of writing notes and stuff...
    Well, even though I regard RZA as a musical genius to some extent: It would really surprise me if he pulled it off like that!

    On a related issue:
    Who really came up with that strange rumor that there are only four samples on Forever? Did RZA himself say so?

    Peace.
    I know this post was posted a while back but I thought I'd answer it. The violinist is actually a violinist who played in Yanni's band by the name of "Karen Briggs" and thus we have ended the mystery of who played "Violin" on "Reunited"

    http://www.karenbriggsviolin.com/#!k...ggsviolin/cjg9

  11. #11
    Balls Deep food for thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR
    Posts
    18,328
    Rep Power
    118

    Default

    One of the sickest beats of all fucking time.
    We do it for the people.





  12. #12
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Age
    32
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    It's a real violin RZA told her how to play it. I met him a couple years back and asked him about it. Don't remember the name of the female he Said playing it. Yumi or something like that? She has played in front of Taj Mahal. Dont know if she Did it solo or in an orchestra or band.

  13. #13
    PRODIGAL SUN soob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Końskie, Poland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    0

    Default


    "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I like the "Reunited" beat much more than the "Triumph" beat.
    Me too. So fucking majestic. I listen to that shit and see golden falcons descending from the heavens above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron97 View Post
    I thought it was Miri Ben Ari or Bjork.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BIRDCAGE View Post
    Bjork? LOL
    Lol yeah that guy talks strange.
    Last edited by THUGNIFICENT; 04-04-2014 at 04:34 AM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I like the "Reunited" beat much more than the "Triumph" beat.
    EASILY, i have heard nothing else that sounds like it. Reunited is dope but i have heard hundreds of beats similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by food for thought View Post
    One of the sickest beats of all fucking time.
    No doubt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •