once upon a time in shaolin - buy the book now!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The weirdest thing Raekwon has ever said

  1. #1

    Default The weirdest thing Raekwon has ever said

    As Clyde Smith on the "Fishscale" intro:

    "A lot of these Tom Cruise niggas don't know, man."

    "...and all that other ????? fuckin' Tom Cruise nigga, like we ain't Vanilla Sky or nuttin' in the streets."

    A lot of Raekwon's rhymes are just straight up undecipherable (in a great way) at least on first listen, but this Tom Cruise name-check and mention of Vanilla Sky is just .....what!?!? I don't have the slightest idea what he's going for here. Anyone?

    First of all, claiming "we Vanilla Sky in these streets" has got to be one of the oddest "street nigga" boasts in hip-hop, if that's even what it is.


    Taking a shot in the dark here, calling whoever he's talking about "these Tom Cruise niggas" could be another way of calling them faggots. I don't know how tuned-in to the Hollywood rumor mill Raekwon is though.

    This is a coke rap album if there ever was one, all the way down to the title. The Vanilla Sky thing could be another one of those instances where a rapper takes something that's white and makes it a metaphor (for lack of a better term) for cocaine, like "white girl". There's a million examples of this, but I don't really think this is one of them.

    What the fuck is he talking about here?

  2. #2
    God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,950
    Rep Power
    53

    Default

    Tom Cruise is an Actor....

    I think Rae's saying these other heads in the street ain't real like himself & Ghost
    They are just pretending or playing a roll, like Tom Cruise.

    "Vanilla Sky" is a head-scratcher but what comes to mind is that movie is hard to follow
    Some weird shit goes down in that film, that Tom Cruise can't get his head around.
    It fucks him up....he doesn't understand what is going on!

    Raekwon could be implying that himself & Ghostface do know what is going on.

    The scene where he's completely alone, he can't see anyone
    Rae could be referring to that particular scene.

    "We Vanilla Sky In These Streets" could mean that they're on some other shit
    That these "Actors" or those who are "Not Real" simply can't follow.

    Or it could just be a flavour reference to Cocaine....Rae cooking up shit.

    I haven't listened to "Fishscale" in ages.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Daene View Post
    A lot of Raekwon's rhymes are just straight up undecipherable (in a great way) at least on first listen
    I agree with this.

    The slang is the hardest to pin as it seems to constantly evolve and is up for interpretation.

    In the midst of what a lot might call nonsense he's able to present intricate stories
    As well as hidden jewels in the abstractness he conveys.
    His range & dynamics allow him to seamlessly rhyme about anything/nothing :

    This is why I think he's probably got the most verses out of The Clan.

    I've often wondered who a good comparison to Raekwon would be :
    In terms of style and I think the best shout I've heard so far is Goretex.
    Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 12-16-2013 at 06:14 AM.

  3. #3
    God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,950
    Rep Power
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Daene View Post
    like we ain't Vanilla Sky or nuttin' in the streets."
    Yeah I'm pretty sure Rae is saying they are unsung and dude's be acting like they can't see them.

    As if they don't exist = "Nuttin' In The Streets" = Vanilla Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by whers View Post
    The scene where he's completely alone, he can't see anyone
    Rae could be referring to that particular scene.
    Perhaps eluding to the price paid by being part of The Clan....rather than solo artists.

  4. #4

    Default

    clyde smith 1 is rae...clyde smith 2 is ghost...

  5. #5
    ☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀ KERZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Posts
    8,471
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Rae's just bombing shit like math as per usual.






  6. #6

    Default

    He had sugar in his ear from his last crack career... must mean when he was hustling the cops came to raid his spot while he was putting sugar in his cereal and he panicked and the sugar spilt in his ear

    Prince of wales swimming on feet.. probably means doing the backstroke or just boat racing barefoot .

    Connect words to make my man child walk.. means he was finishing a crossword puzzle and he found the word walk, and his friends baby walked at the same time.

    Last man to eat tracks like you...means he is going to eat dinner once all the other wu did.
    Last edited by Mantra; 11-16-2014 at 12:45 PM.



    My evidence, my own testament, written on wood
    Twelve tribes layin at the head of corners in hoods
    Hell razah

  7. #7
    ☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀ KERZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Posts
    8,471
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    'Prince of Wales swimming on feet' - that seems like he's saying he's the Jesus of fishscale to me.






  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    O-Block
    Posts
    11,933
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Rae said some really weird stuff - like almost every line in a rhyme.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    15

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    He had sugar in his ear from his last crack career... must mean when he was hustling the cops came to raid his spot while he was putting sugar in his cereal and he panicked and the sugar spilt in his ear

    Prince of wales swimming on feet.. probably means doing the backstroke or just boat racing barefoot .

    Connect words to make my man child walk.. means he was finishing a crossword puzzle and he found the word walk, and his friends baby walked at the same time.

    Last man to eat tracks like you...means he is going to eat dinner once all the other wu did.
    Man I love how you interpret that shit so abstract, that is exactly how I would think of it!

    This is one of the things I love about the Wu, hidden gems in every song, especially Rae, Ghost and Gza.

    I have times where I only just figure out what they are saying after listening hundreds of times to a joint.

  10. #10
    aka Orion Zemo RADIOACTIVE MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Alpha Centauri B
    Posts
    17,696
    Rep Power
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Daene View Post
    As Clyde Smith on the "Fishscale" intro:

    "A lot of these Tom Cruise niggas don't know, man."

    "...and all that other ????? fuckin' Tom Cruise nigga, like we ain't Vanilla Sky or nuttin' in the streets."

    A lot of Raekwon's rhymes are just straight up undecipherable (in a great way) at least on first listen, but this Tom Cruise name-check and mention of Vanilla Sky is just .....what!?!? I don't have the slightest idea what he's going for here. Anyone?

    First of all, claiming "we Vanilla Sky in these streets" has got to be one of the oddest "street nigga" boasts in hip-hop, if that's even what it is.


    Taking a shot in the dark here, calling whoever he's talking about "these Tom Cruise niggas" could be another way of calling them faggots. I don't know how tuned-in to the Hollywood rumor mill Raekwon is though.

    This is a coke rap album if there ever was one, all the way down to the title. The Vanilla Sky thing could be another one of those instances where a rapper takes something that's white and makes it a metaphor (for lack of a better term) for cocaine, like "white girl". There's a million examples of this, but I don't really think this is one of them.

    What the fuck is he talking about here?
    tom cruise was the main actor in a movie called vanilla sky where he got disfigured by a crazy chick obsessed with him

    the lyric makes sense, i think he pretty much was saying he is not an actor and isn't soft

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •